Any Suggestions?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Suggestions?

Any Suggestions?

Well, After uninstalling, cleaning out leftovers and redownloading the latest V4. I did a clean reinstall a few days ago anticipating that it would be the same smooth, crisp Sim that had amazed me after the initial installation. That was not to be. Even with a clean installation I am experiencing serious hesitations/stuttering while flying and my settings are lower than they were with the original installation. To recap for those who don't read much on this forum, I reverted back to Win7 after having Win10 for about 5 months. The reasons for that are my own and not up for discussion. After Win7 was reinstalled I restored those files from my original HDD that I wanted back on the new HDD (P3D_V4 was one of those), however after a failed attempt to reinstall over the original, I deleted everything (yes I got everything) and started over from the top.

That brings me back to the current install. Target FPS is set to 20, but the display shows it jumps from a low of 5 or 6 to no more than 15fps. When set to unlimited, it runs the gamut from the 70's to the single digits. I have no point of reference for why this is happening except that in Win10 it was great, now in Win7 it is not. . .I refuse to accept that the change in OS has caused this. Both OS's are 64bit, my system is 64bit, the Sim is 64bit. . .I don't get it.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

When we first installed P3D4, we were bragging on the frame rates and lack of stutters...with the default scenery. I think you said you installed ORBX and other sceneries after that. Is your new installation completely default, or with some addons? Have you checked your hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    After Win7 was reinstalled I restored those files from my original HDD that I wanted back on the new HDD (P3D_V4 was one of those), however after a failed attempt to reinstall over the original, I deleted everything (yes I got everything) and started over from the top.
    When you say starting over "from the top" you installed a fresh V4 download from LM?

Did you see these posts on uninstalling and reinstalling PDV4?
    Uninstalling V4:
    https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5...repar3d-v3-v4/

Reinstalling V4
    https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/4...repar3d-v3-v4/

Maybe some folders left over from the first install....

2) Deleting the 6 Prepar3D v4 folders
    While the uninstaller removes all files that are created by the installer, it does not completely remove content that was generated during program execution. To completely uninstall Prepar3D, you must manually delete folders and files that are created during runtime.
    Note: To locate these folders, Insure the box is Ticked for Show hidden files, folders and drives in File Explorer Options

For a clean Uninstall, please manually delete the following blue folders:
    ------------
    Local Disk (C ► Program Files ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D v4 (or the modified install location)
    Documents ► Prepar3D v4 files \ Prepar3D v4 Add-ons
    Local Disk (C ► ProgramData ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D v4
    Local Disk (C ► Users ► You ► AppData ► Roaming ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D v4
    Local Disk (C ► Users ► You ► AppData ► Local ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D v4
    ------------

Restart your computer. You have now successfully Uninstalled and Deactivated Prepar3D v4 from your computer

NOTE: I see it says 6 folders,but only 5 were listed, you probably need to delete the shaders folder contents as well:
    Local disk/users/your user name/AppData/Local/LockHeed Martin/Prepar3DV4/Shaders

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

I'm wondering if hardware could be a problem here...
    Anyways, let's focus on simple things at first.
    I don't remember exactly, but since you have reinstalled Win7 from scratch, have you tried to reinstall the DirectX9 runtimes from the MS website ?
    Also, could you take a look at your power management settings ? I'm referring to the settings related to energy saving, somewhere next to the screensaver settings I think.... anyways, please ensure that is set to the maximum power setting.

Finally, what about your antivirus ? Have you disabled it, or have you at least told it to ignore anything Prepar3D.exe is doing, and anything that happens in the Prepar3D folders ("exclusions") ?

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    I'm wondering if hardware could be a problem here...
    Anyways, let's focus on simple things at first.
    I don't remember exactly, but since you have reinstalled Win7 from scratch, have you tried to reinstall the DirectX9 runtimes from the MS website?
    I had not, so that is C/W (complied with).
    Also, could you take a look at your power management settings ? I'm referring to the settings related to energy saving, somewhere next to the screensaver settings I think.... anyways, please ensure that is set to the maximum power setting.
    It was not so I set it to Max.
    Finally, what about your antivirus ? Have you disabled it, or have you at least told it to ignore anything Prepar3D.exe is doing, and anything that happens in the Prepar3D folders ("exclusions")?
    Not turned off while in the Sim, however both P3D and FSX are "exclusions" designated in the options menu.

None of this made any difference, as a matter of fact even adjusting settings to Max or Minimum did not eliminate the stuttering. It got slightly better or slightly worse but it was not eliminated. I am wondering now about the NVidia Driver and if I need to revert to an earlier one to see if that helps.

Current System Specs:

A rollback to a previous driver did little if anything really. It is better than it was but the stutter is still there, no obvious contributor so maybe it'll fix itself over time, lol, lol.

Current System Specs:

About the change of drivers, did you delete the shaders of the sim after you installed the "new" drivers ?
    Also, did you check your video card settings to ensure the settings are fine in the Prepar3D profile ?

About the change of drivers, did you delete the shaders of the sim after you installed the "new" drivers?
    Yes I did.
    Also, did you check your video card settings to ensure the settings are fine in the Prepar3D profile?
    Hmmm, lost me there Daube. What profile? Other than installing the driver I don't do anything else with settings for the card itself.

Current System Specs:

I wonder is NV Inspector redundant now with P3D?
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

I'm referring to the NVidia Control Panel.
    But if you never touched it, then it should be fine already. Some simmers like to alter these settings to choose some more effective AntiAliasing, which is more beautiful but also a FPS killer.
    Default settings should be fine, though.

Do you have other sims that you could try with your new W7 setup, see how they run ? From Steam maybe ? Installed/uninstalled in a jiffy.... Flightsims, racesims, trainsims, that sort of thing...

What are your specs ?...

Maybe a dual boot system would solve your problem. Lots of people have dual boot systems (not me, though). A separate Windows 7 partition for the stuff that doesn't like Windows 10 might make things settle down for you. Not an ideal solution, but it's a thought.
    The "bones" of Win 7 are different than Win 10, even though both are 64 bit.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Do you have other sims that you could try with your new W7 setup, see how they run ? From Steam maybe ? Installed/uninstalled in a jiffy.... Flightsims, racesims, trainsims, that sort of thing...
    No nothing else I can try that would be comparable

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    What are your specs?...
    Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
    Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD 760GM-E51(MS-7596) 1.0
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz

3.80 gigahertz AMD FX -4300 Quad-Core
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (2 total)
    Hyper-threaded (4 total)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970_4Gig

3 WD SATA HDD
    OS, P3D_V4, FSX/Accel. . . .each on a separate HDD.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by paiken View Post
    Maybe a dual boot system would solve your problem. Lots of people have dual boot systems (not me, though). A separate Windows7 partition for the stuff that doesn't like Windows 10 might make things settle down for you. Not an ideal solution, but it's a thought.
    The "bones" of Win7 are different than Win10, even though both are 64 bit.
    I don't have Win10. . . .only Win7.

Current System Specs:

No nothing else I can try that would be comparable
    I seem to understand that you still have FSX as well ?... Do you see any performance issues compared to what you had running it with W10 ?

In your initial post you finally reported " reinstalled all Orbx Products currently V4 ready, added "FreeMesh" and some East Coast area sceneries of mine and all seems back in order. . "

So what's up with that ?..

cheers,
    jan

The stuttering continues. Pretty disappointed really as I was experiencing a whole new level of flying with V4 but since dropping back to Win7 it is really no better than the final iteration of Ver3. I still don't see why such a difference between two versions of Windows (if that is even the true reason this is happening). My system is 64bit, Win7 is 64bit and Win10 is 64bit. Can there be that much difference in the way one OS and the other OS process 64bit technologies?

Current System Specs:

Blog Entries
    Hey Ed.,.I'm going to be installing Win7 on my second spinning drive in the next couple of days. Basically a dual boot setup.

I've been following the thread, and for the life of me I can't come up with an explanation for your stutters. When I get the Win7 HD spooled up, I'll try and re-create your settings. I'm only running the GTX 780 2TB card, so I should be more limited than your setup.

If I run into anything I'll make notes and share that info with you.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    Hey Ed.,.I'm going to be installing Win7 on my second spinning drive in the next couple of days. Basically a dual boot setup.

I've been following the thread, and for the life of me I can't come up with an explanation for your stutters. When I get the Win7 HD spooled up, I'll try and re-create your settings. I'm only running the GTX 780 2TB card, so I should be more limited than your setup.

If I run into anything I'll make notes and share that info with you.
    Thanks Gordon. I haven't quit V4, I would never do that, lol. . .but it does have me stymied.

Current System Specs:

Blog Entries
    Thanks Gordon. I haven't quit V4, I would never do that, lol. . .but it does have me stymied.
    If it makes it any better...it's not just you Ed.

I spent four or five days setting up an efficient system to compile models from multiple SDK's for multiple platforms. It was complex, but once it was complete it let me edit in one location and display the changes.in four different simulators.
    It was working like a Swiss watch, until two days ago.

I went to bed one night with everything working great, and woke up to a train wreck. It required a complete re-install of P3Dv3 and FSX. P3Dv4 was unscathed.

I've been scratching my head, trying to work out why the thing broke so badly, but rather than beat myself up trying to work all that out, I just went back and began fixing it. I'm sure it will happen again. lol

I think it's just the nature of the beast.

Edit:

One thing for sure, P3Dv4 is a radical departure from what went before. I think the learning curve, and the difficulties involved will be more pronounced than we have felt before.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Just for reference, here are the 4 settings menus (Display, World, Lighting and Weather).

and here are my system specs:
    Installed OS: Windows7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
    Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD 760GM-E51(MS-7596) 1.0
    CPU: 3.90 gigahertz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core
    Multi-core (2 total)
    Hyper-threaded (4 total)
    Memory: 8Gig Usable Installed Memory
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970-4Gig

Current System Specs:

Try framerate at-60
    Uncheck volumetric fog

Give that a try
    Rick

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

Just a though as I am not an OS expert but I just have an abstract feeling that after switching to Win10 I did get a performance gain (It could be fake or placebo). I have the impression that Win10 are leaner than 7 in terms of background running processes that may affect simming and stutters. Could Nick Needham's Bible in setting up a lean Win7 help?

Blog Entries
    Looking at your setup Ed...

You are extremely conservative everywhere with one exception. Your LOD and Autogen draw are maxed. Because V4 renders those two particular settings at distance and density much hither than V3, you are rendering out to the horizon at a super high density.

Try scaling those back to about mid bar and see if you get any improvement.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    Just a though as I am not an OS expert but I just have an abstract feeling that after switching to Win10 I did get a performance gain (It could be fake or placebo). I have the impression that Win10 are leaner than 7 in terms of background running processes that may affect simming and stutters. Could Nick Needham's Bible in setting up a lean Win7 help?
    I can confirm this.
    I am on Build 1703 W10 Pro.
    FSX-ACC is runnig great here.
    No reason for me to go back to W7.
    Mike

Members who have read this thread: 0