Anti-Virus Help/Suggestions

Thread: Anti-Virus Help/Suggestions

Anti-Virus Help/Suggestions

I've been using AVG Free Edition for my anti-virus program for almost 15 years and it's worked well. Now it seems to be preventing me from watching videos at various websites such as Facebook. I click on a video link and the clip will play for 3-6 seconds and then freeze. If there's an advertising clip ahead of the video THAT freezes and I never get to the video. Has anybody else experienced this with AVG? And if anybody else has alternative a/v recommendations, please comment. Thanks in advance, I'm normally pretty savvy about this stuff but you folks are my "brain trust" when I need help.

I've also used AVG for years but never the latest version. Whenever I installed the latest version one or two 'issues' would arise so I would install progressively older versions until things went back to normal. As for video issues I've not had one with AVG. Does uninstalling AVG fix the problem?
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

Members +
    I've been using the free ​Avast for many years, always the latest, never an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by aeromed202 View Post
    As for video issues I've not had one with AVG. Does uninstalling AVG fix the problem?
    I have not uninstalled AVG, but turning it off temporarily allows me to play videos without them stalling.

Been using Microsoft Security Essentials for many years now,works silently in the background and have never had the computer infected and no other issues either
    I know when you say Microsoft most folks hair on the back of their necks stand up but I have no problem using it

WIN 7 PRO 64

Rick

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    I've been using the free ​Avast for many years, always the latest, never an issue.
    Same here for my personal use.

On the .net server we have used ESET NOD32 Buisness. We have never had an issue with it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by papab View Post
    Been using Microsoft Security Essentials for many years now,works silently in the background and have never had the computer infected and no other issues either
    I know when you say Microsoft most folks hair on the back of their necks stand up but I have no problem using it

WIN 7 PRO 64

Rick
    Augh

I installed that for a friend a few years ago when I rebuilt his PC. He got some type of Trojan that just kept installing software on his PC and MSE did nothing about it. I had to completely rebuild the PC because of all of the damage MSE allowed the virus to do. Never again will I install it. For a free antivirus I use Avast
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Never had a problem in 5 years

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

I used AVG for many years, but several years ago it started to get a bit wonky, so I replaced it with Avast!. No problems with Avast! and it has alerted me to numerous potential threats.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I used Microsoft's own for a long long time without issue and in conjunction with other AV & Ransomeware programs without ever being infected or having any issue. When I went to W10 it became Defender and would switch itself off when another AV was present. Then I bought a new Motherboard and along with that came a free full years licence Kaspersky. Quite satisfied with that.
    My tip..... buy an entirely new Asus ROG MB. No brainer.
    In all seriousness though, I quite like Kaspersky it is unobtrusive and has blocked a couple of things which in actuality were benign.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Members who have read this thread: 0