ATC dialog for Rotorcraft ?

Thread: ATC dialog for Rotorcraft ?

ATC dialog for Rotorcraft ?

Is there a way to create ATC dialog specific to helicopter traffic in FSX? or has it been done?

I don't think we would need more than a couple of phrases WRT helipads as opposed to runways for approach - maybe a traffic alert call that included 'fixed wing' and 'helicopter' or 'rotorcraft' references...
    Does P3D v4 include any newer or better ATC dialog - or is it the same as FSX ?
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

It's the same ancient ATC as far as I've seen. I've been a controller for 10 years and it would be impossible for the sim to keep up with the idiotic changes we encounter (sometimes weekly)
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

yeah - wishful thinking, but i have been surprised by 3rd party ingenuity many times...
    I was just thinking a handful of phrases tied to sim object type would be enough if it were possible
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    Is there a way to create ATC dialog specific to helicopter traffic in FSX? or has it been done?

I don't think we would need more than a couple of phrases WRT helipads as opposed to runways for approach - maybe a traffic alert call that included 'fixed wing' and 'helicopter' or 'rotorcraft' references...
    Does P3D v4 include any newer or better ATC dialog - or is it the same as FSX ?
    No sure, myself. I've not seen or heard of a way to modify any sim generated phrases as your suggesting for helipads. Aircraft generated phrases is another thing if you know how to use EditVoicePack. The later would/could generate traffic alert to specific helos if you were to focus specifically on the atc_model and atc_type entries. I do believe there are already some stock entries that incorporate the word "helicopter" for certain models.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    No sure, myself. I've not seen or heard of a way to modify any sim generated phrases as your suggesting for helipads. Aircraft generated phrases is another thing if you know how to use EditVoicePack. The later would/could generate traffic alert to specific helos if you were to focus specifically on the atc_model and atc_type entries. I do believe there are already some stock entries that incorporate the word "helicopter" for certain models.
    Thanks WH - I am familiar with EVP but only used it to speed up the AI slow speech to a more realistic level and to abbreviate some of the longer aircraft ID calls - but I have not used it beyond that.
    So far I have not heard the term 'helicopter' used by ATC but that doesn't mean I disagree - only that I probably missed it or have not yet created a situation for the ATC to use it..
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    Thanks WH - I am familiar with EVP but only used it to speed up the AI slow speech to a more realistic level and to abbreviate some of the longer aircraft ID calls - but I have not used it beyond that.
    So far I have not heard the term 'helicopter' used by ATC but that doesn't mean I disagree - only that I probably missed it or have not yet created a situation for the ATC to use it..
    Now you're going to force me to reveal my secret.

Back when I started FS9 I printed out a full copy of the ATC Voicepack SDK which lists all the standard ATC calls for models and types. There is no change on the calls for FSX.

If you have the Virtavia SeaKing, set your atc_model=Sikorsky and atc_type=SEAKING. When the atc calls that aircraft it will call the type as a "Sea King Helicopter." If you assign those entries to an AI version, whenever the ATC alerts you to that aircraft it will use the same reference as a "Sea King Helicopter."

If you have EVP you can verify this by creating a new type, and filtering with 'SEAKING." Sure enough, the phrase incorporates the word "Helicopter."

I count at least 58 stock FSX types that incorporate the word "Helicopter"
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

aha!!! thank you WH - very helpful to say the least. Much Appreciated... I DO have that model
    enter..the Sandman

Members who have read this thread: 0