HU: New Peyta style ransomware demanding 300 Bitcoin

Thread: HU: New Peyta style ransomware demanding 300 Bitcoin

Blog Entries

HU: New Peyta style ransomware demanding 300 Bitcoin

Just wanted to post this heads up.

There's a new ransomware, similar to the WannaCry and using the same protocols, on the loose right now.

Be cautious with downloads, even from trusted vendors. It's more prevalent in Europe, and demanding 300 Bitcoin...again. It's disguising itself as an approved Microsoft file, so it initially got by some antivirus programs. I wouldn't count on the latest Win10 update to have the protections for this one built in yet.

FYI...
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Thanks for the warning.

It's still imperative to use grey matter as a first line defense when downloading files and to keep Windows updated.

Its hitting Australia and is expected to hit New Zealand next.

From what I have heard it is traveling via email in an attachment. Dont get tricked into opening attachments. .I would hope downloads will be ok

300 US dollars are demanded, not 300 bitcoins - a ruinous sum. Reports are that machines hit are those which haven't updated despite the last outbreak, so if you think WannaCry was dealt with and you don't need to do anything to avoid it, you're wrong and should get security updates right away. This one uses the same vulnerabilities, so don't be an ostrich and stick your head in the sand!
    Last edited by hairyspin; June 28th, 2017 at 01:37.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    300 US dollars are demanded, not 300 bitcoins - a ruinous sum. Reports are that machines hit are those which haven't updated despite the last outbreak, so if you think WannaCry was dealt with and you don't need to do anything to avoid it, you're wrong and should get security updates right away. This one uses the same vulnerabilities, so don't be an ostrich and stick your head in the sand!

Yep... $300 worth of Bitcoin...not 300 Bitcoin. That would be a tidy sum.

So far ESET has proved to be the best security I have employed to date.
    Win10 did another update this AM, and I'm still running within tolerances.

As a precaution, I back up all of my work daily to an external that is only connected to the system during data transfer.

Thanks for the data correction Tom.
    Last edited by gman5250; June 28th, 2017 at 10:22.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post

As a precaution, I back up all of my work daily to an external that is only connected to the system during data transfer.
    Thanks for the reminder my 2 MyBook's are now disconnected. That would be 4TB of data lost in the event
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

As Tuesday's ransomware attack continues to spread around the world, several security analysts are saying that this virus may not be ransomware after all. New reports are claiming the virus has been designed to permanently delete a system's Master Boot Record before a victim even gets the chance to read the ransom demand. This points to the virus potentially using the guise of ransomware as cover for a more destructive and politically-orientated cyberattack.
    Early reports hypothesizing the source of the infection as coming from some Ukranian accounting software called MeDoc have now been confidently verified by Microsoft. The company's security blog says, "Microsoft now has evidence that a few active infections of the ransomware initially started from the legitimate MEDoc updater process."

This is interesting from the article...

The allegations that this virus was a cyberattack disguised as ransomware certainly fit with the strangely inept and complicated ransom method outlined by the virus. The odd tactic of using a single Bitcoin wallet and asking victims to email a specific email address is not only unconventional for a ransomware attack, but also fundamentally ineffective. As the email address attached to the ransomware demand was quickly inactivated by the company owning the domain, it seemed to suggest that money was not the primary motive of this attack.

More info...

http://newatlas.com/notpetya-cyberat...ukraine/50265/

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Members who have read this thread: 0