Washington White House and FS9

Thread: Washington White House and FS9

SOH-CM-2023

Washington White House and FS9

Hi All,

I just recently returned from a trip to Washington DC and watched as the presidential helicopter (one of the three in flight) landed at the White House. I decided to try the same flight in FS9 and while I have the Mid Atlantic payware installed I noticed a lack of trees in the area around the White House landing pad. I watched a documentary about aviation as it relates to the president and it was discussed that certain trees in the pilots view during the approach as well as the landing are important for a correct approach and landing. Is anybody aware of a "White House Tree Package" for FS9 or a way to add trees to the local area?

Thanks,
    Sean

I don't know of a package ready to use, but you could do it one tree at a time using your favorite scenery object placement program. There are scenery libraries of trees that should contain the necessary kinds of trees. You probably wouldn't have to place very many trees in order to get the desired visual impression.

Think theres a scenery at Hovercontrol that fits the bill

Ttfn

Pete

SOH-CM-2023
    Hey Pete and Mick,

Didnt find one on Hovercontrol. Thats OK. I think Ill try my hand at scenery placement. I found a tool called tree planter. I might try that, but I understand there are some issues with it. What scenery tool do you recommend?

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by jackryan172 View Post
    Hey Pete and Mick,

Didnt find one on Hovercontrol. Thats OK. I think Ill try my hand at scenery placement. I found a tool called tree planter. I might try that, but I understand there are some issues with it. What scenery tool do you recommend?

Sean

I have used both Library Object Manager and Airport Design Editor 9X.

ADE9X is meant to built airports and might not want to compile a file with just objects, without an airport involved. Object Manager is fine with simple object placement, so I would use that for this kind of project.

I got my copy of Library Object Manager from FlightSim.com. However, if I wanted to make a little airport on the White House lawn, so I could find it on the Select Airport menu and start flights there, then I'd use ADE9X. You can get that at the Scruffy Duck site:
    http://www.scruffyduck.org/

In fact, Object Manager is built into ADE9X, but the stand-alone program looks and works somewhat differently than the version incorporated into ADE9X, and it's very happy to place individual objects without them being part of an airport project if you want to do it that way. You may have to spend an hour or so reading manuals, but both programs are pretty easy to use once you learn the basics.

I never heard of Tree Planter so I can't comment on it. It sounds promising.

There are a number of tree libraries available. I've never done a project that required individual trees, so I can't make any recommendations. Check the scenery design sections at AvSim and FlightSim and you should find some. My Static Objects Libraries folder (in AddOn Scenery) contains several tree libraries but since I haven't used them I don't know which ones are better.

Good luck!

I replanted White House lawn with Instant Scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by leuen View Post
    I replanted White House lawn with Instant Scenery.
    Looks good. Great job!

SOH-CM-2023
    How do I get that? That looks amazing.

Sean

Did an ADE for helicopter landing on White House lawn and added the roads, as well as a fence, some people and cars from CalClassic objects library. That's all. Here Marines One landing as AI on the lawn.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 35624058682_974dc56f46_b.jpg  
    Last edited by leuen; July 8th, 2017 at 02:20.

Hi,

Glad you're finding our vehicles useful.

SOH-CM-2023
    Is Instant Scenery III the best way to learn scenery placement? I am really interested in learning how to do this.

Thanks,
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by jackryan172 View Post
    Is Instant Scenery III the best way to learn scenery Placement?
    You certainly will find someone saying "no". IS doesn't just plant trees, but almost every object, even those converted with SAMM (Static Aircraft Model Maker). And it's a real WYSIWYG tool.

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by leuen View Post
    You certainly will find someone saying "no". IS doesn't just plant trees, but almost every object, even those converted with SAMM (Static Aircraft Model Maker). And it's a real WYSIWYG tool.

I am interested in doing other scenery as well. SO this will be my next FS9 purchase I think. Any recommendations on tutorials or Howtos?

Sean

It's an easy handling tool. Anyway it comes with a rather extensive user manual. The worst thing is the fact that you have to create thumbnails of the objects available in your system. The way to do this is IMO a quite archaic manner. For that price I would expect an easier method than scanning the whole FS files at a strict position over Seattle! Honwever there are some thumbnail libraries of the most current objects collections available on the net.

Members who have read this thread: 0