Helicopter engines cut out on take off?

Thread: Helicopter engines cut out on take off?

Helicopter engines cut out on take off?

Guys if your having take off problems with your helo in P3D please read,

Warning, I dont proof read, that stuff is for uni students prior to handing in assignments, and thats not me at any time.....

Ive been seeing numerous posts around of people complaining or asking why their helos wont work correctly in P3D as soon as they try to lift, the engine cuts off.
    This is due to the initial loading of the helo and its RPM on the collective or else where is less than 100%, on average for me its about 88% which in 99% of the time will cause the engine to cut out during the initial lift

As seen in image Fig 1 thats the RPM on the collective, sadly the screen shot doesnt show the in game virtual co pilot status of 88% but trust me if your having the above problem it wont be at 100%

Fig 2 image shows how to get your RPM up to 100% by either rotating the handle to the left or using the click spots, sadly there is no joystick axis for this in P3D to do this with a dial the propeller axis in the control really only refers to fixed wing, for helos it will only go as high as what your helo loads at and most time its about 88%. however once the rpm is at 100% give it a few seconds and you will be able to use your collective to lift without the engine cutting out or spluttering during flight

HOWEVER, there are key assignments you can assign to do this with buttons or the keyboard in P3D as seen in figure 3 image, this way if there is no RPM twist on the collective you can use key assignment. Check Sprouts Ad and Albertsons Ad. (again there is no Dial or axis for this however if you go to the P3D forums and begin to bug them, they may add them in the next or upcoming updates).

I hope this helps you to enjoy your helo experience.

Good stuff Matt. . .I've been doing a lot of Helicopter flying through the mountains in the Vietnam War Project scenery, hitting a lot of the LZ's. I also had the problem you describe which I don't ever remember having before. . .anyway a quick check for the keystroke (ctrl+F4), the RPM maxes out and I'm on my way. I like the suggestion of assigning a button (I have a few that remain open) to perform that function.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

I know it plagues a few helos and it depends on how your flight is started , i suffered the same problem with a few models, as my propeller axis for helos only went to the max of 88% and planes it went to 100% if I used the assigned dial on the throttle joystick

the most frustrating problems was that some helos dont even have a adjustable rpm in the VC, so I was buggered either way the old "y"key and slew to 100ft and the drop and bounce off the ground to kick the engines over 100% wasnt the best way of doing things

since I did the new assignments after experimenting back the v3 days Ive never looked back
    Last edited by jeansy; June 23rd, 2017 at 23:45.

Yeah I also had this problem a while back, and as you say it was due to the prop (RPM) not reaching 100% with my throttle setup (HOTAS). I got in to the habit of hitting control+F4 and control+shift+F4 to max out my prop and mixture right before takeoff, in helos and planes. Eventually I re-calibrated my prop axis so it now has full range between 0 and 100%.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

from what i saw on my p3dv4 setu, the prop axis sensitivity in the calib menu was 88% so setting it to 100%, the rotor collective starts at 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by kdfw View Post
    from what i saw on my p3dv4 setu, the prop axis sensitivity in the calib menu was 88% so setting it to 100%, the rotor collective starts at 100%.
    for some reason both my dials if assigned to rpm, in fixed wing I get can 100% rpm, and rotors I only get 88%, where fuel or pitch no problems, it doesnt bother me, as a button assignment works for me just fine, Ive had this problem since v3 came out

however the post was directed to people who dont know what the problem is, ive had 5 messages in as many weeks and the book of faces theres heaps of people saying LM broke their helo

Members who have read this thread: 0