Prepar3D V4 Computer

Thread: Prepar3D V4 Computer

Prepar3D V4 Computer

Hi all
    I'm sure I'm the millionth guy to ask for opinions about computers for Prepar3D V4 but I copied the following specs for a Dell computer I am considering.
    My wife says it is within about $1000 of my budget but at this point I have chosen not to cloud the issue with facts.
    I would add the appropriate accessories. I also plan to start with my old Saitek X52 which works well in Prepar3D V3.4 but I'm not sure about V4
    Opinions, suggestions or outright criticism appreciated.
    Thanks
    Warren

• 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700 Processor
    • Windows 10 Home 64-bit English
    • 16GB DDR4 at 2400MHz; up to 64GB
    • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5

Icon26

Hi Warren,

between you and I would would not buy a gaming system from Dell for the main reason that there are other companies out there that are dedicated to building and supporting better systems at a compatible price.

If you cant build your own or don't have the resources to get the hardware and software then here's two companies that have good reputations.

Digital Storm
    http://www.digitalstorm.com/?utm_sou...FQGUfgodZkoMVQ

Another one is Jetline Systems. I do have some experience with this company and I cant say one negative thing about them. They are very serious about flight simming and hardware and build a monster system along with fantastic support. They can be pricey but they are always willing to work with the customer.

http://jetlinesystems.com/

Whatever you decide to do I wish you luck. I just wanted you to know that there are other places to buy that I believe will build you a system dedicated to your mission be it designing or gaming. I have nothing against Dell or any other company but I personally feel that you will end up happier by actually going somewhere that is dedicated to what you really want.

When it comes to gaming you should personally go for the big card. You dont need the 7700 better off with the 6700K which has a lot of leg room for overclocking.

Go for the 1080 Warren. Its the one piece of Hardware you really need. Also the ram you posted is slow by gaming standards. Get faster hell 3200 or faster. 16 gigs is good.

Also you didnt post what type of board and cooling Dell is using in this system? Liquid cooling or aircooled? Personally Liquid cooling is mainstream and no gaming system should be without it since cost are so cheap and installation couldn't be any easier.

Don't be fooled by shortcuts even more when sales folks say things like you don't need that. The average user might not need aircooling but a good gaming system should be on liquid. Period.

Jetline actually overclocks your processor and sends it ready to go meaning its stable.

Dell wont do that and if they do Id bet its not going to be even close to a Jetline system.

I normally build my own and thats a big bonus as I take my time and get the best deals possible for hardware. Also and I know this might scare you but look in your area and see if there are any computer builders that might build custom systems. You might just find that you have a guy or gal in your area that specializes in building highend systems on the side and will probably give you a great deal on a killer system.

I have a number of close friends that build on the side and they make some great systems and the best part is that they sell them at a great price and give folks the chance of affording a highend system at a middleend price. Everyone goes home happy.

Save your money and do more research. Your better off saving more cash so you dont have to keep upgrading all the time. Do it right the first time.

If your happy with Dell's offer then go for it.

Good luck.

Hi
    Thanks for such a comprehensive and helpful answer. I'll check out the two establishments you recommend and then approach the Chancellor Of the Exchequer (my wife) for funding. I can see that grovelling may be involved.
    Thanks again.
    Warren

Blog Entries
    I agree with Creepy. Either build your own or get someone who can and will. If you have teenagers, I bet he or she knows some genius techy kid who can do it. Or a local computer store.

I am considering another computer. However, mine is fine and I think I will wait for the new X processors from Intel to become affordable to someone who isn't named Bill Gates.. However, I have been checking prices and the i7 7700K is coming down in anticipation of receiving the newer processors. Also, the 7700K is less than $50 different than the i7 6700.

I completely agree on water cooling. It is cheap (compared to everything else) $100-$200. It is easy to install, it works , and is trouble free. Besides, if you overclock, you will need to get rid of the fan that comes with the CPU and buy a better one. So, why not just go water and be done.

On the GPU, I will just say buy the best you can afford. I use a GTX 970 on a 1920 X 1080 HD projector. I have monitored it using Z-GPU and have found the utilization never gets above 40%. I have only seen about 1500 MB of the 4GB memory being used. So, I am going to assume my GPU is not being taxed at standard HD. Now, if I was using a 4K monitor, it might be different. Still, get the best you can afford.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Agree with the above. I paid for a system like Jetline, used it for 5 years, and then built my own...I used a Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower Case, and then got the best components I thought would work, you can see most of them in the signature block below. I would not get anything less than a 1080 video card, which according to Nvidia outperforms the Titan X. I have run FSX on a GTX 580, a 1060, run P3D on the 1060, then got tired of screwing around and bought a 1080 ROG STRIX card. Since then I have to really try to induce microstutters...in fact I don't remember ever seeing them in P3D after the 1080.

However, you can still screw up the simulator settings (most of mine are maxed out) even with the best hardware. Best of luck.
    Very Respectfully,

Jim 'Doc' Johnson, SMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Fac Fortia Et Patere

Members who have read this thread: 0