Glowingheat Lockheed A-12 released
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glowingheat Lockheed A-12 released

Glowingheat Lockheed A-12 released

I've finally released the latest in my Blackbird series, the Lockheed A-12 Cygnus.

Available from Simmarket, justflight, PC Aviator and FS Pilotshop today. Compatible with FSX FSX SE Prepar3d V3 and V4

For screenshots please visit my website www.glowingheat.co.uk

YESSS!!!!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Awesome news!

I think it was the SR-71 that started my interest (obsession) with aviation all those years ago, so anything to do with the Blackbird is of great interest to me.

Looking forward to getting the "Cygnus?" in the sky.

The question mark is just because I didn't know it was called that. You do learn something new every day.

Cheers,
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Quote Originally Posted by scotth6 View Post
    Awesome news!

I think it was the SR-71 that started my interest (obsession) with aviation all those years ago, so anything to do with the Blackbird is of great interest to me.

Looking forward to getting the "Cygnus?" in the sky.

The question mark is just because I didn't know it was called that. You do learn something new every day.

Cheers,
    I believe that the crews called it the Cygnus (latin for Swan) after the tradition of Lockheed naming aircraft after celestial bodies back then. Project pilot Jack Weeks came up with the name, and I thought it fitting to call it that rather than the programme name of Oxcart.

Thank you for your work on this awesome aircraft. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

Just got it from Justflight and have just finished my first flight with her and must say that this is excellent add on you have made! She is a bit more of a handfull than the SR-71 but that is to be expected as the Cygnus was known as the sport model and SR the family model lol. My first landing was interesting as I accidentally had the cg too far aft and she tilted back on her tail after I had stopped but that is user error on my part. Thanks again for making The Goose fly in FSX!

Just needs custom speculars now...

Real Deal:

Sim:

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    WOW!

Thanks! I give credit to century series for the excellent stock textures and for sending me some layered texture files to work from. I've edited the stock colors slightly, and created custom alphas and speculars in work. New glass fresnel. Love the model. With 4096 res there's a lot of detail.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Wow! That is a beautifully sexy aircraft! I have their SR71 and really enjoy it. Aside from the beautiful exterior, what are the differences in the models?

I gotta say the bare metal reminds me of the pylon air racers....very nice indeed. Rick, your work is simply superb and would buy just to see that particular paint on my hard stand.
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

The A-12 is the Father of them all. Born out of the Archangel Project, the A-12 is Lockheed's model that that CIA accepted as the go forward plan to replace the U-2. The A-12 is a single seat, slightly shorter and heavier, Faster, higher flying but a little less range than the SR-71. Huge differences in the models, FDE and VC. Take a look at the VC pics on the website...amazing!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    The A-12 is the Father of them all. Born out of the Archangel Project, the A-12 is Lockheed's model that that CIA accepted as the go forward plan to replace the U-2. The A-12 is a single seat, slightly shorter and heavier, Faster, higher flying but a little less range than the SR-71. Huge differences in the models, FDE and VC. Take a look at the VC pics on the website...amazing!
    Yeah, they are absolutely gorgeous too! I did not realize it was a single seat venture...interesting indeed. Was this the bird that showcased or was behind the Phoenix missile concept? Disregard, I will google it, but seem to recall something about it being a missile armed interceptor in it's inception. I had read some stuff about the A-12 so long ago, but totally forgot all about it till seeing this.

Just simply a great piece of work, as are their other 2 birds in my hangar, SR-71 and B-58. Kudos Glowing Heat, kudos.

Matt

YF-12 was the interceptor proposal. It was built from the A-12. The A-12 is the Genesis aircraft for all the variants. It's the original.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Blog Entries
    The only other version not mentioned (apart from the 2-seat trainer models) here is the M-21. A modified A-12 with a second cockpit - like the RSO cockpit in the SR-71, but instead an LCO (launch control officer).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sr-080-9.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	51323

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockhe...p2-cropped.jpg

Launch and control platform for the D-21 reconnaissance drone. Yes, real drones, 4 decades before drones became cool.

Much as I'd love one of those (I'd even settle for a repainted SR-71) - the real dream Blackbird variant for me would be the YF-12 .... love the nose, without the chines (sort of like a LERX, only different) - so hot!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A-12-3.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	51324

Maybe they'd consider it, even if it shared the A-12's cockpit.

Anyway - when back from vacations, I'll be picking up the A-12. And anything that Rick does for the A-12 will also be most welcome.

cm
    Last edited by delta_lima; June 29th, 2017 at 14:08.

YF-12 was the interceptor proposal. It was built from the A-12. The A-12 is the Genesis aircraft for all the variants. It's the original.
    Ahhhhh, YF-12, that was the one. Thanks for the reminder. I am definitely buying this one too..just so sleek and gorgeous.

Matt

Also, just to add to what Rick said, the A in A-12, which was a Lockheed designation, not a government designation, is itself short for Archangel and was the twelfth major iteration of the design to replace the U-2. The U-2 was called the "Angel" because it would climb like a homesick angel. So the internal replacement program for it was designated the Archangel.

Also, the CIA requirement was for a MACH 3 aircraft with stealth treatments from the forward aspect. Kelly Johnson didn't want to waste time on stealth tech. He wanted it to be a straight up Mach 4 recon aircraft, which he said wouldn't need stealth due it's speed. So, at the initial submission that is what they presented to the CIA. Lockheed promptly found itself in second place to the Convair Kingfish as a result. So, Kelly relented and incorporated stealth into their design submission, and the rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    Also, just to add to what Rick said, the A in A-12, which was a Lockheed designation, not a government designation, is itself short for Archangel and was the twelfth major iteration of the design to replace the U-2. The U-2 was called the "Angel" because it would climb like a homesick angel. So the internal replacement program for it was designated the Archangel.

Also, the CIA requirement was for a MACH 3 aircraft with stealth treatments from the forward aspect. Kelly Johnson didn't want to waste time on stealth tech. He wanted it to be a straight up Mach 4 recon aircraft, which he said wouldn't need stealth due it's speed. So, at the initial submission that is what they presented to the CIA. Lockheed promptly found itself in second place to the Convair Kingfish as a result. So, Kelly relented and incorporated stealth into their design submission, and the rest is history.
    While I may not fly FSX as much as I used too, one thing that always brings me to SOH is the fantastic screenshots, beautiful repaints, amazing freeware artists and just the overall wealth of info that bubbles to the surface, that is not always contained in online searches. Love these sort of tidbits of info.

Thanks Sundog!

Matt

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Just needs custom speculars now...

Sim:

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your kind words I appreciate it.

Do you have original of that screenshot, I'd love to make it into a print for my office wall!

On a side note I will be making the two seat M-12 with D-21 drone and would hope release it in a few weeks maybe a month or so. I started to modify my original SR into a YF-12 but my A-12 has a much better model, and so that is quite doable! Watch this space. No guarantees since I have a U-2C manual turning up today, and also started a KC-135 but that's been on hold for some time!

A launchable D-21?
    -JB

Quote Originally Posted by Naruto-kun View Post
    A launchable D-21?
    Wow! +1 for that idea....

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by strykerpsg View Post
    Wow! +1 for that idea....
    Possibly as a droppable object but we will see...

David I can send you the larger BMP pic file and you can crop it per your liking!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by centuryseries View Post
    Hi Rick,

Thanks for your kind words I appreciate it.

Do you have original of that screenshot, I'd love to make it into a print for my office wall!

On a side note I will be making the two seat M-12 with D-21 drone and would hope release it in a few weeks maybe a month or so. I started to modify my original SR into a YF-12 but my A-12 has a much better model, and so that is quite doable! Watch this space. No guarantees since I have a U-2C manual turning up today, and also started a KC-135 but that's been on hold for some time!

Dave - Tomorrow being my b-day, this news is better than a present! And M-12/D-21 - Awesome news! YF-12 - even better! And a small-wing U-2 ... (sigh) - my bucket list is getting shorter!

Speaking of which, my gift to myself will be picking up the A-12 this weekend - can't wait.

cheers,

dl

Members who have read this thread: 0