What is the best freeware Super Constellation?

Thread: What is the best freeware Super Constellation?

What is the best freeware Super Constellation?

Your thoughts on which Super Connie, freeware? Thanks. NC

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Anything from Manfred Jahn, hands down.

How to classify it is up to debate but Just Flight's very well done Constellation is included with P3D.

Paul "Mechanic" Domingue
    Maximum 3ds Maximus

Manfred Jahn's version if you use it in FSX. Don't know if it works in P3D
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Domingue View Post
    How to classify it is up to debate but Just Flight's very well done Constellation is included with P3D.
    Hmm

Is it possible to use aircraft from p3d into FSX?

If I'm flying a Connie, it's Manfred's L749. I just find the older short ones more visually appealing. And with the usual port over stuff, it flies just as well in FSX as it did in FS9.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

If I'm flying a Connie, it's Manfred's L749. I just find the older short ones more visually appealing. And with the usual port over stuff, it flies just as well in FSX as it did in FS9.
    Could not sum it up better than that.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Navy Chief, I can only concur, the Manfred Jahn team Constellations despite their age are second to none as freeware. It is highly recommended.

Now I also think the A2A Connie is superb but it is payware and only will ever cover the L049. With the Jahn and Connie TEams work you can get the L049, the L749, the L1049 (G, H) and the L1649 or Super Connie, not to mention the military versions the EC121 (AirForce and Navy). As well there is a Warning Star model about with a working radar gauge (simulated search radar from that era) from FS9 and I have even managed to get that gauge operational. With sound packages, cockpit mods (VC upgrades) and repaints, it is a complete collection on lots of levels.

Even though I have the A2A Constellation and use it a lot (sometimes), the Jahn Constellation is my go to for the 1049G particularly the tip tank models and the EC121. They look great, they fly great, they have complex systems (Fuel, electricals etc) modelled and they make you work for you fun, sometimes.

As a Coonie team member a bit biased in answering

But yes still have to see a better freeware Connie any type ( and there are many-alone the different engine cowls can drive one cracy)

Only other ones you can fly in FSX free is the old Alphasim, where you have to fully repair the cockpits with compatibel (Manfred's ones from Hansi) gauges and with no VC and stunning exterior the one from Howard ( White ).

On payware working in FSX SE SP2 there are the SCFA one too, an Abacus, that A2A and for AI the old ones from CalClassic ( which make very good AI planes )

Sure I have forgotten some

Best regards

Roland

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    I forgot who did it but it's magnificent. The turboprop Connie prototype for the Air Force. Loved this one.

FS2004 Lockheed YC-121F / R7V-2 Turbo Super Constellation

Turboprop test version of the Super Constellation. From 1954 to 1957 four Turbo Super Connies
    served with the U.S. Navy and the USAF. Model by Manfred Jahn.

No VC

Quote Originally Posted by thunder100 View Post
    As a Coonie team member a bit biased in answering

But yes still have to see a better freeware Connie any type ( and there are many-alone the different engine cowls can drive one cracy)

Only other ones you can fly in FSX free is the old Alphasim, where you have to fully repair the cockpits with compatibel (Manfred's ones from Hansi) gauges and with no VC and stunning exterior the one from Howard ( White ).

On payware working in FSX SE SP2 there are the SCFA one too, an Abacus, that A2A and for AI the old ones from CalClassic ( which make very good AI planes )

Best regards

Roland
    The Howard L049 makes for a stunning AI in either FS9 or FSX.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Manfred's work fine in FSX w/the exception of props, but that's a problem not specific to his birds.

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Hmm

Is it possible to use aircraft from p3d into FSX?
    Hi NC..

If the P3D model has been compiled with the P3D SDK (any SDK above v1).. no. P3D v1 was pretty much FSX with a different name but as the versions have progressed.. any backward compatibility has been lost. They'll crash FSX as soon as you try and select them.
    ATB
    DaveB

if as the OP requested, a 'super constellation', which in my mind implies a L-1049 or higher. The only freeware I know if is Manfred's. For payware the only real choice is the JustFlight with one of the expansion packs, as the base pack (which is in P3D) is just the 049. The A2A is also just a 049 and therefore not 'super'.

Question of terminology, is an aircraft that comes with the sim payware or freeware? It's not freeware, you have to buy the sim to get it, but its not really payware, you don't pay extra to use it. I guess its just 'default'.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Quote Originally Posted by thunder100 View Post
    ... snipped ...

Only other ones you can fly in FSX free is the old Alphasim, where you have to fully repair the cockpits with compatible (Manfred's ones from Hansi) gauges and with no VC and stunning exterior the one from Howard ( White ).

Best regards

Roland
    Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    The Howard L049 makes for a stunning AI in either FS9 or FSX.
    Gents, his name was John Howard White and he was an amazing gentleman. I still have that 049 and love it. Sadly, he passed before being able to complete the VC.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

I was stuck on his name, but Howard did ring a bell. And you're right, John White was a gracious gentleman.

You bet, I still fly Mr. White's 049 and I enjoy flying it, and love the engine sounds.

Well I have to refrain from being contrarian about the JF payware Connie, all I will say is that it should be freeware. I had reason to check something that was odd with Super Connie and EC121 and yep these models were seriously out of whack in the nose area back aft of the cockpit not to mention the engine cowling etc etc. Mine went into the trash can.

i was also team member with John ( and most other freeware Connies)

And nose shape was the longest (and serious ) discussion, especially non radar nose and window position ( and angle)

For me its first thing where I look

Roland

John invited me in on the beta and I was one of the first to experience a ctd issue with the gauges. While it was sorted out for most, I never was able to resolve it on my comp I had at the time. Something in the fuel system is as close as we ever got. I eventually just swapped out the fuel system gauges for those from another Connie (VN Connie Panel for Mike Stone's) and while it wasn't accurate, FS9 didn't ctd on me with it anymore either.

I still think that the textures in the original download had the best bare metal I've ever seen in FS9 and that's the look I strive for in my paints today. If it had a VC, I'd still be flying it today.

That is John's in FSX SP2

Roland
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017-6-21_19-43-47-399.jpg   2017-6-21_19-43-55-796.jpg   2017-6-21_19-43-28-110.jpg  

That brings back happy memories. Loved the panel on that model. Was it one of Jan Vissers?

ATB
    DaveB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SSI01 View Post
    Manfred's work fine in FSX w/the exception of props, but that's a problem not specific to his birds.
    Not really an issue.

In FSX, DX10+Fixer:

Better shot showing the blur:

Members who have read this thread: 2