Windows 10 Update Heads UP
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 Update Heads UP

Blog Entries

Windows 10 Update Heads UP

It was inevitable.

Today, Windows 10 carried out another one of its massive updates on my system. It came in quietly in the background and did its work...uninvited, and borked a few hours of design work I had open in 3DS Max in the boot.

The net result is that all of my personal settings and preferences have been re-set to Windows 10 default. These are settings that take quite a lot of time to tune to my specific requirements.

I have yet to assess the collateral damage, but I'm sure it will manifest itself along the way.
    I know I'll catch grief from some here, but after many bouts with MS, I consider Win10 to be a decidedly unfriendly OS that prioritizes itself over the needs of the end user with utterly no regard to the damage these "security" updates cause.

I've put up this post as a HU for any and all running Windows 10. Proceed with caution.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    ...I consider Win10 to be a decidedly unfriendly OS that prioritizes itself over the needs of the end user with utterly no regard to the damage these "security" updates cause.
    Indeed. I have one Win10 system here I manage and that will be it for a few years. Will run the wheels off the Win 8.1 and Win 7 systems we have. Just tired of messing with MS's products (retiring next year and will no longer worry about my software working on MS platforms).

Good luck,

Greg
    i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3Dv4) and WD 2TB Black, Win 10 Pro.

Better stop having illusions about Microsoft's willing to become user-friendly. That will never happen. But on the other hand: where would we be without them??? And let's not talk about Apple.....

Count your blessings,

hertzie.

Blog Entries
    W7 64 for me with zero plans to upgrade

I'm with the FAA and I'm here to help you.....................Now gimme a hug!

gman, take a look at O&O Shutup 10: https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10. It's free and allows you to easily set all of your personal and privacy settings in Windows 10 and then save them to reload later if another update resets them.

Sorry to hear of this setback. My only computer with Windows 10 is an office laptop that I use for some, but not all, business applications. Windows 7 is looking pretty good right now, at least for flight sim use, but eventually we will all be forced into the Windows 10 box.

Hmmmm... forced into the Windows 10 box. Is this a good time for a Borg reference? My favorite is "I am Dyslexic of Borg. Fusistance is retile. Your ass will be laminated".
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Creator's Update, I guess. Already installed that one when it was still on demand. Security and privacy settings needed reviewing, but other than that, zero issues. I have no idea how you guys manage to constantly bork up your computers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    I have no idea how you guys manage to constantly bork up your computers.
    If my computer were left alone, the way I went to great lengths to set it up, it would not get borked up at all. However, when MS and the lot whom insist on sliding in quietly and layering in code that helps Amazon, Google, Facebook and AdRoll assault my OS with AI predictive marketing and obnoxious click bait, things go south without my touching anything.

As I have stated before, I spent a lot of time and money this last winter rebuilding my system after an unauthorized intrusion moved my disk management to a remote location and borked up about two years of development work...again.

I had nothing to do with any of the external hacks, which include MS and the above stated, that use my system as their own marketing playground. For those that think that things are otherwise and all puppies and roses...get a fricking reality check.

One Example...I've researched hundreds of examples of hacked databases.
    https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...rrorist-groups

I would be quite happy to have my system left to my own manipulations and control, and leave the updates for those that wish to receive them.

IMO.
    Last edited by gman5250; June 17th, 2017 at 07:57.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

I would be quite happy to have my system left to my own manipulations and control, and leave the updates for those that wish to receive them.

IMO.
    I have W7 and I decide myself which updates to download and install (usually only important security updates). Isn't that really possible with W10 anymore?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PHo17 View Post
    I have W7 and I decide myself which updates to download and install (usually only important security updates). Isn't that really possible with W10 anymore?
    I worked, at length, with a good tech friend last winter to insulate my system. New HD, new OS, new industrial strength security, TOR browser. Some other mods I won't discuss.

MS and the various other "entities" continuously run profiling algorithms that eventually find a chink in the armor. Last week I started getting the MS "update survey" pop up that cannot be shut down, blocked, ignored or dismissed. Don't forget the Win10 free popup that was actually coded to convert a no response to a yes. They dismissed that one as a programing error. Bollocks.

Finally, two days ago, while I was working MS just came in and ran the update. A prompt came up that told me I needed to re-boot, leaving zero option to refuse. As an ancillary benefit, the pop-up prevented me from saving the work I had up in 3DS Max.

It appears that MS is not allowing the end user to opt out of Win10 updates at this time. As of my last reading of the EULA, it is so stated.

At the end of the day, I originally opted in to Win10 voluntarily, so I have to cowboy up and take the consequences. If I had been able to foresee the long term negatives, I would have remained a Win7 holdout. Even at that, eventually MS will simply phase out support until the only thing left is the...errr...platform they provide.

It is one of the drawbacks of a virtual monopoly. IMO
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by PHo17 View Post
    Ditto that here. W7 works great for me.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    My favorite is "I am Dyslexic of Borg. Fusistance is retile. Your ass will be laminated".
    Very good indeed, ROTFL!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Thank you Gordon for all of this 'heads up' info. Very interesting and very much appreciated.

Bob

Blog Entries
    Thanks Bob...that's the basic intent of the post.
    Thomas Jefferson

It is one of the drawbacks of a virtual monopoly. IMO
    Thank you for the information. If there had been a FSX version and would be in future a P3D version for Linux I would have changed or I'd change OS immediatly.

Hi gman

Feel your pain man. I just built myself a new rig, posted the specs on Orbyx prior to building it and was surprised by the number of people that said I should just go with Win10 as it was the "future". When I stated my case against it, I have it on my Microsoft Surface 4 and dislike it with a passion for the exact reason you have stated here, I was again surprised at the negative response I got from some quarters. The problem I have with it is you can't control your own computer. I happen to be a bit of a rebel I suppose as I have an intense dislike with being told what to do. Got me into all kinds of strife during my 20 year Air Force career.
    So I have built my new machine and have installed Win7 Professional 64bit on it. Runs beautifully and I get to pick and choose the updates. I will probably get to a point where I "disconnect" my updates from Microsoft and go it alone. That worked fine for XP for years and I have no doubt it will work for this machine as well. A good firewall, good virus software and malware client and "GOOD" surfing protocols and things tend to be OK. If not then "format C:\" and start again.

Do you have the option of pulling the plug and starting again with Win7?

New machine:
    Intel I7 6700K Skylake CPU
    Asus H170M mATX motherboard
    16GByte DDR4 RAM
    6GByte Asus GeForce GTX1060 Graphics Card
    500GByte Samsung SSD
    2TByte HDD

Running FSX Acceleration
    Orbyx World, Vector, Europe LC, North America & Alaska LC
    All Orbyx North American sceneries minus Southern California plus Australia, New Zealand and Norway.

The thing about security is to not go overboard with it. A router firewall, proper antivirus, tight security/privacy settings in Windows, a popup blocker (plus clearing website cookies after every browser shutdown), proactive updating habit (get major updates before they're available for automatic updating; keep MS' update release schedule in mind and then look for updates manually) and liberal use of the Mk 1.25 cranium computing device (no, do not open every e-mail attachment; learn about what you're using and installing) and you're good to go. It's all about covering chockepoints, not wide open fields.

And if someone wants to really hack/manipulate/harm you, they will find a way anyway. As long as you're not a terminal in a government network, you're nothing but an IP address among millions and therefor hardly of interest compared to all those disease-ridden, wide open devices of the XP and Vista holdouts or update deniers.

Regarding automatic updates, the ongoing WannaCry horror is reason enough. Patches were issued in March, the thing went wild on unpatched systems in May. Just saying.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    gman, take a look at O&O Shutup 10: https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10. It's free and allows you to easily set all of your personal and privacy settings in Windows 10 and then save them to reload later if another update resets them.
    Thanks for the link to the software. Installed it on my laptop and my wifes. Works great! I was surprised at some of the menu options. And I'm a pretty techie guy.
    FAA A&P, FE (TURBOJET),AMEL COMM INST DC-8 & B767/757 TYPE RATEINGS
    FCC GROL

Gman,

I do not understand. I believe that any Windows operating system including Windows 10 has option allowing you to activate or deactivate the automatic update function. I set mine to deactivate automatic update function for Windows 10 so that I can update if I want at my own will, not Microsoft or anybody else.

Check your Windows 10 and deactivate the automatic update option.

Regards,

Aharon

Blog Entries
    Good thread...thanks all for keeping it civil.

Answering a few of the points above.

I have multiple hard drives available:

Primary Win10 OS is located on a WD Black 5TB...only using 2TB at the moment. When 2TB SSD drives come down in price, I want to go that route for primary and task the 5TB spinner as a secondary.
    Secondary is the Mushkin Chronos SSD, dedicated drive for the sim.
    Storage is handled by an external 5TB device.

I do keep a second WD Black 2TB HD available in the box. This was the drive previously assigned as primary, but wiped out by another Win10 update and targeted a malicious hack. That was the one that moved my disk management to a remote server. Whom...I have no idea, but they were not nice. I have a ten minute rule. I would relish ten minutes in a locked cage with any individual that could be identified in these nefarious activities.

My intention is to do an industrial wipe and install Win7 on that drive, once it is sanitized.

At that stage I can run a dual boot system. The advantage will be access to GMAX archives and the ability to work with those models in Win7 where GMAX is 100% functional. Those models can be saved out to the external, and accessed from the Win10 drive as I need those models for conversion in 3DS Max.

I think that setup will suit my requirements.

Updates:
    Believe me...I've used every trick available to disable the updates, all eventually were compromised by MS intrusions. I have been using ESET security since the new build and am actually very pleased with it's performance. This choice was prompted by a trusted tech friend who suggested that installation...with extreme prejudice. lol

In my current situation, I develop scenery and aircraft...specifically targeted to 64 bit platforms. I feel that it is imperative that I am "up to date" with regard to OS and drivers, so I take the risks involved. Sometimes that blows up, so I try to take those hurdles in stride.

I do however, maintain an extreme prejudice against any service, hardware, software provider who prioritizes their objectives of data mining over my efficient utilization of the TOOL that I have purchased. At the end of the day, the OS is a tool just like a saw or a hammer. I want it to function as a saw or a hammer and not compromise my time/energy by layering mining and profiling algorithms over my system tools. Over the course of the last five years, these assaults have cost me a tremendous loss of time, data, hard work and $$$$$.

Thus...my occasional tirades against the machine.
    Thomas Jefferson

I think you can only turn the updates off in Win 10 Pro so if like me you have Win 10 home your getting the updates whether you want them or not.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    I think you can only turn the updates off in Win 10 Pro so if like me you have Win 10 home your getting the updates whether you want them or not.
    In Win 10 Pro, you can delay updates but not turn them off. That said, you can easily turn off driver updates (which often cause problems) but not security updates. It's possible to turn off the update service altogether but then you don't get important security updates. If you do manage to stop all updates, the next major update (like the Creators Update or whatever follows it) will not install until you are up to date with all the previous minor updates anyway. Better to allow the security updates to install a few at a time when they're available and then, if you have a problem, it will be much easier to troubleshoot what has caused it.

Also, as hairyspin pointed out earlier, the WannaCry ransomeware attack is a great example of why it's a bad idea to turn off security updates in Win 10 if you ever connect to the Internet.

Blog Entries
    It just occurred to me, I neglected to include some information about my system.

I am not in Win10 Pro. I am in a less public version of the OS. Not going to share the specifics for reasons that concern...errr...security.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    ... the WannaCry ransomeware attack is a great example of why it's a bad idea to turn off security updates in Win 10 if you ever connect to the Internet.
    Not just Win 10, any version of Windows still running. If you still run XP, there were more MS security patches released for it this past week. Same goes for Vista which got to the end of its supported life back in April. I know an organisation locked out of its data for a week by WannaCry, at who knows what cost: tinfoil trilbies or crossed fingers are just not enough.
    Tom

Members who have read this thread: 0