Windows 10 Update Heads UP

Thread: Windows 10 Update Heads UP

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Windows 10 Update Heads UP

It was inevitable.

Today, Windows 10 carried out another one of its massive updates on my system. It came in quietly in the background and did its work...uninvited, and borked a few hours of design work I had open in 3DS Max in the boot.

The net result is that all of my personal settings and preferences have been re-set to Windows 10 default. These are settings that take quite a lot of time to tune to my specific requirements.

I have yet to assess the collateral damage, but I'm sure it will manifest itself along the way.
    I know I'll catch grief from some here, but after many bouts with MS, I consider Win10 to be a decidedly unfriendly OS that prioritizes itself over the needs of the end user with utterly no regard to the damage these "security" updates cause.

I've put up this post as a HU for any and all running Windows 10. Proceed with caution.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    ...I consider Win10 to be a decidedly unfriendly OS that prioritizes itself over the needs of the end user with utterly no regard to the damage these "security" updates cause.
    Indeed. I have one Win10 system here I manage and that will be it for a few years. Will run the wheels off the Win 8.1 and Win 7 systems we have. Just tired of messing with MS's products (retiring next year and will no longer worry about my software working on MS platforms).

Good luck,

Greg
    i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3Dv4) and WD 2TB Black, Win 10 Pro.

Better stop having illusions about Microsoft's willing to become user-friendly. That will never happen. But on the other hand: where would we be without them??? And let's not talk about Apple.....

Count your blessings,

hertzie.

Blog Entries
    W7 64 for me with zero plans to upgrade

I'm with the FAA and I'm here to help you.....................Now gimme a hug!

gman, take a look at O&O Shutup 10: https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10. It's free and allows you to easily set all of your personal and privacy settings in Windows 10 and then save them to reload later if another update resets them.

Sorry to hear of this setback. My only computer with Windows 10 is an office laptop that I use for some, but not all, business applications. Windows 7 is looking pretty good right now, at least for flight sim use, but eventually we will all be forced into the Windows 10 box.

Hmmmm... forced into the Windows 10 box. Is this a good time for a Borg reference? My favorite is "I am Dyslexic of Borg. Fusistance is retile. Your ass will be laminated".
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    gman, take a look at O&O Shutup 10: https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10. It's free and allows you to easily set all of your personal and privacy settings in Windows 10 and then save them to reload later if another update resets them.
    Thanks for the link to the software. Installed it on my laptop and my wifes. Works great! I was surprised at some of the menu options. And I'm a pretty techie guy.
    FAA A&P, FE (TURBOJET),AMEL COMM INST DC-8 & B767/757 TYPE RATEINGS
    FCC GROL

Members who have read this thread: 0