Excitement at the Museum Of Army Flying, U.K.

Thread: Excitement at the Museum Of Army Flying, U.K.

Excitement at the Museum Of Army Flying, U.K.

Well, yesterday Ganter, being at loose end took himself off to the Museum Of Army Flying at the Middle Wallop Airfield here in the south of England. It's only a few miles up the road from me but I have overlooked it somewhat, my last visit being some fifteen years ago or so.

The main halls were as I remembered them with a grand collection of old war birds going as far back as battlefield ballooning. The museum takes you chronologically through from 19th C to the present, is wonderfully laid out and has some excellent exhibits presented in context.

This was intriguing, I'd only heard about the 'Wire Guided Missile' (BGM- 71TOW) - the pods mounted to the side wire guide from 500 Metres to 3500 Metres.

This was the the Museums Simulator (I wish mine was as simple sometimes!)

My favourite aircraft of the day was this single seat glider trainer Kirby Kite suspended from the ceiling. It's such a beautiful looking bird.
    I wanted to steal it. "Just tug me up to 5000' and let me go, chaps."

And then a great surprise whilst having tea out on the cafe balcony. Spotted this taking off in the distance.

Then it closed the distance! and blew my hat off and caused havoc with some chaps having lunch at the next table.
    It was only about 20 metres away.

The next generation of Army Flyers?
    As I made my way back to the car park I spotted this Grob G115 Trainer. (I wondered why the skipper was in the left seat - then I realised, the cadet was a Helo cadet - and should get used to flying from the right seat from the start of his/ her training.)

A great end to a great day. I thoroughly recommend the museum as a fascinating insight into the long and adventurous history of Army flying and salute the brave souls, past and present who persue this form of dangerous aviation.

Jim (Ganter)

Looks like a great day out. Thanks very much for sharing your pics, Ganter.

Brian

Great pics, Ganter. Thanks for posting.

Members who have read this thread: 0