Icebergs Ahoy!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Icebergs Ahoy!

Icebergs Ahoy!

I've been enjoying hundreds of ships collected for the past 15 years -- everything from CFS2, FS2K2, FS9 and FSX in the seas, lakes and rivers of FSX.

With the recent amazing creations from Henrik, and the soon-to-be-released USN World-wide package, I'm awash (pardon the pun) in ship options but until today, I wasn't able to find any icebergs to place in the frigid arctic/antarctic seas -- something I've wanted so I can use my ice recon aircraft and research vessels, etc..

Well, tonight I was dabbling with an older file wildlife_v2.zip (which features all kinds of creatures placed around the world) and I saw that there were five icebergs included in the pack! Two sets actually (5 large and five identical models but very small)

So, with some creative effort, I was able to place the bergs into my seas with aicarriers. Here's my results..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Iceberg_1.jpg   Iceberg_4.jpg   Iceberg_2.jpg   Iceberg_3.jpg  

Cool ! Where is the file located ?

I found it over at Simviation.com

Quote Originally Posted by jmbiii View Post
    Cool ! Where is the file located ?

Here's the Fiver bergs:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Icebergs.jpg  

Great fun! Looks good! Downloaded the file and will see if I can do what you could. If not, will come back for help :-).

Regards, hertzie.

I think there's a model of the Titanic around somewhere...

SOH-CM-2018
    If you can place them with AI carriers then they must behave like ships and thus could write traffic files for them to place them in motion on a track. Right?

Joe

That's exactly what I was thinking Joe but I didn't put the suggestion forward in case someone expected me to write the traffic file for them

ATB
    DaveB

SOH-CM-2018
    Dave, not that I can write the file! I am like the monkeys with the typewriters. Given enough time and at random...... maybe>

But then again my friends say that I am a thinker, not a doer. HAHA!

Joe

Well, Dave, now that you mention it...any chance you might be talked into creating some packs??

BTW, there are two sizes of each berg -- one large and one small.

Here's a quick comparison of one set. I'll try to get the other berg comparisons done tomorrow:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Berg_vs_Ship_1.jpg   Berg_vs_Ship_2.jpg  

Now, come to think of it, I recall Henrik hinting at making some bergs as well!!

From a post on his shipping projectack in 2015:

"...I am actually working on it... Greenland and the arctic areas will be in the next update and moving icebergs are not that difficult at all... this is from a test from Greenland..."

Wonder if he's looking at this page?

Henrik?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 14090409430116112912500795.jpg  

Oh My Goodness!! Found a Few More!

Well, well,....

I was looking in another folder under \Misc and found these beauties -- and they're monsters!. They're from the Abacus "Mission Blackhawk" package.

I love the second set, as there are mixed sizes in the group.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ab_bergs_1.jpg   ab_bergs_2.jpg  

The Small Bergs

The Small Bergs from Above for Size Comparison

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Iceberg_5.jpg  

have you seen this thread by aerosoft?

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?...ct-died-sorry/

I wish you luck with yours, it would be interesting to see the outcome

Quote Originally Posted by Bookman1960 View Post
    Now, come to think of it, I recall Henrik hinting at making some bergs as well!!

From a post on his shipping projectack in 2015:

"...I am actually working on it... Greenland and the arctic areas will be in the next update and moving icebergs are not that difficult at all... this is from a test from Greenland..."

Wonder if he's looking at this page?

Henrik?
    I do... I will note it down for the next update... I do have the icebergs but never did the routes... Maybe because I found this Nuuk scenery from FSDG and just put my ships in between their icebergs...

Are the bergs in that package static scenery or ai?

An ai iceberg? It's just a matter of time before Erwin Welker makes one pilotable.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by IFlySWA View Post
    An ai iceberg? It's just a matter of time before Erwin Welker makes one pilotable.

Brian
    .. with 18 camera views for you to explore it!
    ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by Bookman1960 View Post
    Are the bergs in that package static scenery or ai?
    Static - the ones I have done are supposed to be AI and have been done with hard surface.

OK, did install wildlife v2. It says it's simconnected. Also AI-carriers works ok, says I can load icebergs. But no icebergs show up, for I get the message that creation of the objects has failed, so I must have done something wrong. I tried to make icebergs as boats putting the model, texture and sim-folders in a folder named Iceberg1,2,etc. and reworked the cfg.

Suggestions welcome, never too old to learn,

hertzie

That error 'usually' points to an incorrect AIC entry. AIC is looking for the model listed in the formation and can't find it. This said.. I've never tried icebergs before so who knows what could be causing it! As a check.. make sure the title= line in the sim.cfg matches the unit.X= entry in AIC.

ATB
    DaveB

Iceberg AI Help

Ok...Hopefully these screenshots will assist you in converting the bergs you have to ai. If not, PM me and we can get you sorted.

You first have to isolate the models (image 1)

Then create entries for each berg (image 2)

Finally, make sure you have a 'boat' ai as the basis for the file (I took mine from one of the default ai boats)

Hope this helps.

Bookman

========================

Quote Originally Posted by hertzie View Post
    OK, did install wildlife v2. It says it's simconnected. Also AI-carriers works ok, says I can load icebergs. But no icebergs show up, for I get the message that creation of the objects has failed, so I must have done something wrong. I tried to make icebergs as boats putting the model, texture and sim-folders in a folder named Iceberg1,2,etc. and reworked the cfg.

Suggestions welcome, never too old to learn,

hertzie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kb_iceberg_help-1.jpg   kb_iceberg_help-2.jpg   kb_iceberg_help-3.jpg  

Technical Assistance Request

So...

I have isolated a dozen berg shapes from iceberg_lib.zip by Jay Langham [an iceberg scenery placement library for FS9 & FSX]. The file is a single .bgl file that when evaluated revealed two dozen berg shapes\MDL's which I have extracted and looked at using MDL view tools.
    Now my question is...

Having isolated each mdl file, is it possible to then make these ai, as I have done with the other shapes we've been discussing? My understanding from reading through various forums over the weekend is that FSX makes no distinction between an MDL made for flying and an MDL made as a scenery object. Thus I'm hoping I can utilize these shapes to broaden my ai bergs plan further.

Alas, I have been unsuccessful in getting these files to work for me. I can see them in the MDL view tool (and they're textured) but so far I have been unsuccessful in getting them to load as ai.

Any ideas?

Bookman

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    I think there's a model of the Titanic around somewhere...
    Is it a Ghost ship...? that would be perfect......
    SoCal Y22......North Pole, Alaska

OK Bookman, thanks for your time, help and advice. For me it's a bridge too far, so forget about it.

Safe landings,

hertzie.

Members who have read this thread: 0