How not to mess up a perfectly good Prepar3D v4 installation

Thread: How not to mess up a perfectly good Prepar3D v4 installation

Icon4 How not to mess up a perfectly good Prepar3D v4 installation

This from the PMDG forum at Avsim... interesting points.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5...-installation/

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

The cut and thrust of that says 'don't install anything not specifically designed for v4'.. like that's gonna happen

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    The cut and thrust of that says 'don't install anything not specifically designed for v4'.. like that's gonna happen

ATB
    DaveB
    I haven't so far, still patiently (not really) waiting for ASP4/ASCA and the A2A T-6. The former sounds a little buggy, and haven't heard about the latter yet other than the cool pointable cockpit lighting. If ORBX Vector is never updated, then I'll be without scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post

ATB
    DaveB

Nothing wrong in that, but don't be complaining if stuff goes bonkers!

That's a somewhat similar heads-up to the one posted over on the UTX Forum.
    http://www.simforums.com/forums/prep...opic58214.html

FAC

Quote Originally Posted by patful View Post
    I haven't so far, still patiently (not really) waiting for ASP4/ASCA and the A2A T-6. The former sounds a little buggy, and haven't heard about the latter yet other than the cool pointable cockpit lighting. If ORBX Vector is never updated, then I'll be without scenery.
    Orbx Vector Basic is updated. They have done the basics but none of the airports.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Orbx Vector Basic is updated. They have done the basics but none of the airports.
    FTX, Global, and openLC are ready, but Vector hasn't been updated, think they're waiting on Pilot's to redo the airport elevation tool, so it's out of ORBX's hands. I missed out on the sale given the uncertainty, so I'll likely do without until Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by FAC257 View Post

FAC

With FTX GLobal Base and OpenLC installed there's no need for UTX, is there ??....

Quote Originally Posted by FAC257 View Post

FAC

They really stress the point of being careful.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/prep...24.html#368124

Quote Originally Posted by patful View Post
    FTX, Global, and openLC are ready, but Vector hasn't been updated, think they're waiting on Pilot's to redo the airport elevation tool, so it's out of ORBX's hands. I missed out on the sale given the uncertainty, so I'll likely do without until Christmas.
    My mistake I was looking at the wrong Sim. I did install Global Basic both the US Landclass and European Landclass plus the Regions I have available (Northern and Central Rockies, Pacific Fjords and Pacific Northwest) and of course the Libraries.

Current System Specs:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    With FTX GLobal Base and OpenLC installed there's no need for UTX, is there ??....
    If you are going to run ORBX FTX Global, Open LC and FTX Global Vector, you will probably would not want to run UTX.
    The texture, mesh and vector data from ORBX will build an accurate base for you to build upon with other scenery packages.

Layering another system on top of the ORBX basics could induce problems.

I run the ORBX basic three and focus on my own photo real scenery, which overlays on the ORBX basics. Roads, rivers, coastlines and the rest are all very reliable using the Pilots system integrated in the ORBX package. When I lay one of my own packages on top, everything always lines up. I blend my PR to match ORBX at the edges, so the transitions are seamless.

I still use MSE or Blue Sky for large areas of PR, but the ORBX three are always the foundation.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    They really stress the point of being careful.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/prep...24.html#368124

From what I have seen in the first hundred hours of sim and SDK, I can see that this is an entirely different animal than everything that went before it.

There are many, many subtle differences in the way LM has constructed their architecture. After reading these articles and posts, I will be proceeding forward with due diligence.

The basic tools and skills are the same, but the SDK cannot be used as it has been previously. Looks like there is a ton to learn.
    I put a lot of hours in previously, learning the basics of 64 bit. All of my projects are transitioning nicely, but will still be gone over with a fine tooth comb.

IMHO
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    From what I have seen in the first hundred hours of sim and SDK, I can see that this is an entirely different animal than everything that went before it.

There are many, many subtle differences in the way LM has constructed their architecture. After reading these articles and posts, I will be proceeding forward with due diligence.

The basic tools and skills are the same, but the SDK cannot be used as it has been previously. Looks like there is a ton to learn.
    I put a lot of hours in previously, learning the basics of 64 bit. All of my projects are transitioning nicely, but will still be gone over with a fine tooth comb.

IMHO
    Thanks "G" for the time and effort of getting it right off the bat!

This may be of interest to you.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1087235

This is the best explanation of why older stuff may give grief.

"...better way to get that data, which is both official AND fast, which is the PDK, an API more low-level than Simconnect, which allows direct memory access in a safe and documented way..."

"Unfortunately, this method has changed quite a bit between P3D V3 and V4, since the whole API has been greatly revised in V4 and lots of changes were made the way you call it so, if we had to support both versions, it would be very difficult to maintain the software, considering the V4 version does *A LOT* more and better.

And that's just one, small, example of why, supporting older sims is becoming more and more like a burden, which also hampers our ability, as developers, of doing BETTER things or just doing the same things we always did, but in a better way."

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5...omment=3647830

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    I installed their TAC and Canada packages. I wish they would release an Alaska update. ORBX seems to have lost interest with Alaska.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Blog Entries
    I pointed the scenery adder to Vector in the V3 installation. I got tired of the canals and bayous being ditches. So far, (knock on wood) no issues.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    I pointed the scenery adder to Vector in the V3 installation. I got tired of the canals and bayous being ditches. So far, (knock on wood) no issues.
    Glad you posted that. I never thought of doing that to get Vector into V4. Once I did it seems to verify one problem many people had when flying Orbx. . .black water in some areas. Until I loaded Vector I had not seen that anywhere. . .after Vector was installed. . .it's back.

Current System Specs:

Once I did it seems to verify one problem many people had when flying Orbx. . .black water in some areas. Until I loaded Vector I had not seen that anywhere. . .after Vector was installed. . .it's back.
    I've seen both A2A and HiFi mention addon scenery in v4 when troubleshooting folks' issues there. I think I'm gonna hold off on scenery for a while.

Blog Entries
    Glad you posted that. I never thought of doing that to get Vector into V4. Once I did it seems to verify one problem many people had when flying Orbx. . .black water in some areas. Until I loaded Vector I had not seen that anywhere. . .after Vector was installed. . .it's back.
    Over at the FTX forums they say that if you go into the FTX area config file and turn off lake ice in the winter, it will stop the black water. I haven't tried going to the ORBX areas with Vector yet.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    Over at the FTX forums they say that if you go into the FTX area config file and turn off lake ice in the winter, it will stop the black water. I haven't tried going to the ORBX areas with Vector yet.
    Yes, that corrected the problem. Thanks.

Current System Specs:

Thanks for the advice, gents!

I will certainly take captain RR's memo to the letter. I think i have never enjoyed a new version of our beloved FS ( hard to believe but actually it still IS FS somewhere downthere, isn't it.. ;-) this much than i did with v4 during the last week. I will watch over it like a tiger over her pups not to screw it up with old stuff that doesn't belong there. FSX and everything that belongs to it is a thing of the past. That's how i look at it. I moved the whole FSX folder from my flightsim dedicated SSD to a data dedicated HD. It still works, more or less, enough for possible testing, but that's it.

I have enjoyed FSX tremendously (particularly after Steve Parson made it really shine with his DX10 shader fixer. Thank you so much, Steve !) but what i see evolving here now with P3Dv4 on my 30" monitor is literally from another virtual world !

I'll keep a look out for specific P3Dv4 compatible scenery and aircraft and stay away from anything else.

( thinking it was the new installer i did inadvertedly install the old FSX version of Drzewiecki Design New York City X. I *did* see performance about doubled compared to using it in FSX, i.e. from about 7 fps to 15 fps, but i knew something was wrong. Proved i needed to buy the new P3Dv4 compatible version but for a much reduced price, 12 euro. What then happend you can see here : http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1087479

What it proves is that old FSX stuff, not specifically compatible with v4, may still work but doesn't even work half as good as a v4 compatible version would )

cheers,
    jan

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Well, stupid me.

purchased "Where's My Airplane" and used their utility to install a freeware scenery package using an external folder. The utility said "for P3D V4". Fired up P3D and got a cannot use scenery.CFG, delete and reload P3D.

I guess I should enjoy re-configuring it again. Major pita. Learned my lesson, will only use scenery specifically for v4. I don't want to be a tester.

Members who have read this thread: 1