Spitfire Crash

Thread: Spitfire Crash

Spitfire Crash

It's a shame when one of these old birds have an accident. Luckily the pilot had minor injuries and a spectator was also injured, unknown condition.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/377742...rance-airshow/

Roman

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Looks like problems with the right wing spar that appears broken, vertical stab and rudder that are bent, plus a new engine after all those rods broke because the prop stopped suddenly. Oh, and don't forget the prop itself.

Very unfortunate indeed.
    It looks like he was tail high and the right hand gear dug in.

Very glad both were okay.

Direct link to the YouTube vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lq2oT9Bnzo

The horizontal stabs were pointed downward, forcing the tail to raise and the ensuing nose over.... or, the brakes locked. I'm just guessing but still, a loss for living history, but totally glad the pilot and the onlooker weren't hurt.

BB686
    Last edited by Blackbird686; June 12th, 2017 at 13:23.
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

initially I thought the starboard tire failed but after watching it afew times I see the prop striking the ground and forcing the AC to port..

Some of you mention the tail being high and I think it was to after watching on a big screen..

Glad the pilot survived but sad for the AC..

PR Mk XIX - not recommended to use grass strips! You can see why. The strip also had some soft patches after rain, apparently. If the torque encouraged a wheel to sink into a dip.....calamity!
    Just shows how fast things can get out of hand in a 2000hp warbird

What a shame.

WIX

Don't know if it was human input or control issue but the tail came up WAY too soon. With that much boost the torque forces in roll and the gyroscopic precession forces present as the prop disk rotated in pitch would have been tremendous. P Factor with the prop disk angular to the relative wind would also have been a player.The result would have been as occurred.
    Dudley Henriques
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Asus P8Z68 M
    Intel i7-2700
    16 GB of Ram
    GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Members who have read this thread: 0