D18S Amphib Next ... - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: D18S Amphib Next ...

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    The new paint kit I've been working on is getting there. First in sim shot of all the pieces together. Still some issues, but it's getting there. When done, it'll be for both wheeled and float versions in passenger and cargo flavors. Next up is polishing the metal now that I know it works with "scruffy".

(And of course I redid the old Merc Air cargo paint "for testing purposes")
    Thank you Willy; that is really nice of you to do this.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Hello,

I need advices/instructions for landing. So far, they always bounce. I wonder what I am doing wrong ?
    Looks like at the very end, the plane stalls.

I feel bad (and my passengers are unhappy)

Gérard

Hi
    Landing is a lot more art than science - meaning that there are few foolproof instructions to make everything work out.
    Make sure that you are operating the airplane in a good weight configuration - well below full gross - you might try no passengers and half fuel. I try to set up an approach in the Beech with mixtures rich, props full forward (100%), speed a little less than 100kts and a descent of about 500 FPM using at least 1 notch of flap. At around 500 feet AGL (above ground or in this case water level) I try to set up a speed of 80 - 85kts, a descent rate of 300FPM and one notch less than full flap. You will need a bit of power to maintain this approach speed. At a point where you feel the water is beginning to rush up ease back on the control column while watching the 80 kt airspeed. The airplane should settle onto the water. I find that in Prepar3D that if I am not close to a shoreline that it can be hard to judge the height above water so it might be appropriate to do your initial work parallel to a shore.
    I'm sure there other techniques and I may have forgotten some points but this summary should help a bit.
    Best of luck.
    Warren

Quote Originally Posted by aspen31 View Post
    Hi
    Landing is a lot more art than science - meaning that there are few foolproof instructions to make everything work out.
    Warren
    Thank for your suggestions.

I should had mentionned that my difficulties are with the wheel version, not the amphib...

I will follow your advices and try to make progress

As you underline, my main difficulty is to evaluate my height above the runway...

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I saw the Amphib discussion and thought you were referring to that configuration. Most of the technique should apply to both machines. The "ground beginning to rush up" is the center point in a good landing flair at least for non jet aircraft but in my judgement is easier to apply in the real world and more difficult to sense in the sim. You might try ensuring that you have an accurate altimeter setting and that you learn to judge when you are about 100 AGL. Maintain your speed and ensure that your descent rate is 300 FPM or less and begin an easy flair. 100 ft is to me a bit high for the flair but if you maintain the configuration mentioned it should be close. You might also choose an airport with a long runway so that if you are high or a little misaligned the approach and landing can be corrected.
    Hope this helps
    Warren

Thanks for basically taking the wheeled version off my hands (and list), Milton. At this point, finishing my conversions of the models was nothing but a chore to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Thanks for basically taking the wheeled version off my hands (and list), Milton. At this point, finishing my conversions of the models was nothing but a chore to me.
    Bjoern,

David Carroll's conversion is a different aircraft, different mapping. There was no intention to take it off your hands.

There are over 100 painted liveries available for my original mapping version and I thought it right to address that.

We were certainly looking forward to the work and features you talked about. Sad to see that fall by the wayside.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

D18S Wheeled version final upload now available:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...22741&catid=34
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    D18S Wheeled version final upload now available:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...22741&catid=34
    On it like a duck on a june bug.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Just in time too! I was about to get dangerous with this one.....

Now to figure which Beech to paint to get the ball rolling. I've been saving up a lot of reference stuff for this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flt 19-2017-jun-23-003.jpg   Flt 19-2017-jun-23-001.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    David Carroll's conversion is a different aircraft, different mapping. There was no intention to take it off your hands.

There are over 100 painted liveries available for my original mapping version and I thought it right to address that.

We were certainly looking forward to the work and features you talked about. Sad to see that fall by the wayside.
    A D18S is still a D18S, regardless of texture mapping!

If everything goes according to plan, I get to work with real aircraft. Well worth the lack of time for the virtual ones.

Just uploaded a slimmed down version of my paint kit for the Beech. It's set up for passenger, cargo and/or amphibs.

Just uploaded a slimmed down version of my paint kit for the Beech. It's set up for passenger, cargo and/or amphibs.
    Excellent job on the paintkit Willy!
    The only thing is, there's eng0_t_.psd but no eng1_t_.psd (?) Will mirroring it or something work or what do you recommend?
    Thanks!

I just mirror eng0 and save as eng1.

I just mirror eng0 and save as eng1.
    Awesome, I wasn't sure if that would be the answer and thought I better ask, thank you sir. Again, nice job on the paintkit!

D18S Check List and Reference Updated

Just uploaded replacement Checklist and Reference for the D18S Wheeled and Amphibian versions.

See here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...-and-Reference
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Members who have read this thread: 0