Stratolaunch (Scaled Composites Model 351)

Thread: Stratolaunch (Scaled Composites Model 351)

Lightbulb Stratolaunch (Scaled Composites Model 351)

Thought this was a photoshop job or CGI model at first glance. Had no idea it was being built. 385' wingspan!

http://www.stratolaunch.com/gallery.html

That thing is a Monster!!!! So is it to be known as WhiteKnight III?? It is absolutely a marvel, and should sure be incredible to see when it takes to the sky. I really hope there is enough business for something like that to cover the cost of development?? Really cool to see where all the 747 pieces and parts were incorporated into the design. Burt Rutan is a genius.....

What a beast! Actually it's probably very efficient with the ability to be flown from either cockpit and those big turbofan engines, (which merely sip fuel). Wonder why they didn't connect the tail (horizontal stabilizer) as one piece rather than having 2 separate tail plane configs...? I suppose if they're synced up exactly it doesn't matter. If this project gets off the ground, (no pun intended) it would be a big change in the way delivery of specific spacecraft is implemented.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

I have a couple of operational questions (that I'm sure they've already answered...). First, a conventional localizer beam transmits down the center of the runway. This thing would need to have the receiver in the mid-wing section or else the indicator will lead the pilots way off to one side. On the other hand, do they really need one? I'm thinking this thing probably won't be doing too much business in bad weather. Second, if you end up building a dedicated runway, could you save money by leaving a grass median in the middle? With the gear set so wide, you could make two narrower strips and save money by not having to lay so much asphalt.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    I have a couple of operational questions (that I'm sure they've already answered...). First, a conventional localizer beam transmits down the center of the runway. This thing would need to have the receiver in the mid-wing section or else the indicator will lead the pilots way off to one side. On the other hand, do they really need one? I'm thinking this thing probably won't be doing too much business in bad weather. Second, if you end up building a dedicated runway, could you save money by leaving a grass median in the middle? With the gear set so wide, you could make two narrower strips and save money by not having to lay so much asphalt.

The onboard ILS receiver itself is something not much bigger than a large shoe/ boot box so locating it down the centre line would not present problems. On the other hand it can be located pretty much anywhere - as they are in other aircraft and a computer feeds the relevant offset information to the Nav computers. (That's the offset ILS Receiver box position onboard the aircraft- not any ILS Offset beam on the ground of course, which is something completely different.)

I imagine it will only ever operate from Edwards AFB and others of its ilk and those runways support the width of the Stratolauch gear without modification.

It's going to be very exciting to see this whopping great bird flap it wings - that's for sure.

I think that centre section must be almost solid for the strength needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ganter View Post
    The onboard ILS receiver itself is something not much bigger than a large shoe/ boot box so locating it down the centre line would not present problems. On the other hand it can be located pretty much anywhere - as they are in other aircraft and a computer feeds the relevant offset information to the Nav computers.

It's going to be very exciting to see this whopping great bird flap it wings - that's for sure.
    Akshully the ils part of the vor/nav computer is just a card within the box now. Separate ils rx are so old fashioned.
    The Collins Nav4000 for example is @ 3 inches square and 9inches long. It then sends information to the combined integrated avionic computer, where the flight director / autopilot card does its stuff, before the steering commands are sent to flight instruments for the driver to see.

Ttfn

Pete

Members who have read this thread: 0