TACAN for AICarriers Nimitz
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TACAN for AICarriers Nimitz

TACAN for AICarriers Nimitz

Hi Chaps/Chapesses,

Just about to take the Harrier up for a run. (Razbam Harrier GR.9)

I can't seem to tune Javier's Nimitz on 57X - whatever I do.

Works on Dino's F-35B, FSXBA Hornet, etc.

Has anyone had any experience of getting this bird to pick up the frequency and put a diamond over the target with bearing and distance?

Yours, in anticipation.

Jim

Does the Harrier have Jivko Rusev's HUD in it, or one from elsewhere?

You might try making a different panel folder, along with a variant of the plane that uses it, and instead of whatever HUD it uses, install the HUD from the T-45, or one of Dino's birds. Alternatively, you can download Mr. Rusev's HUD, in it's latest version, which includes frequencies for more boats.

The thing is, AI boats that can move, like used in AICarriers, can't have a TACAN. It's all done in the HUD's software. A really brilliant piece of work.

Hope this helps a little. I can find a link to Mr. Rusev's HUD, if you need. I am pretty sure it's in the Flightsim library, but it also may be here at SOH.
    Good luck!
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Jim..

Are you sure 57X is correct? Try 37X/Y
    ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    Does the Harrier have Jivko Rusev's HUD in it, or one from elsewhere?

You might try making a different panel folder, along with a variant of the plane that uses it, and instead of whatever HUD it uses, install the HUD from the T-45, or one of Dino's birds. Alternatively, you can download Mr. Rusev's HUD, in it's latest version, which includes frequencies for more boats.

The thing is, AI boats that can move, like used in AICarriers, can't have a TACAN. It's all done in the HUD's software. A really brilliant piece of work.

Hope this helps a little. I can find a link to Mr. Rusev's HUD, if you need. I am pretty sure it's in the Flightsim library, but it also may be here at SOH.
    Good luck!
    Thanks for this info PT,

I will do this if I have to but the problem using that excellent HUD - I trust it's the same one as in the mighty FSXBA Hornet 16.1 - is I'll lose the Harrier A/G and, crucially, the VTOL HUD Modes. The VTOL is really needed as it displays VTOL dependant Pitch and Flaps/ Nozzle angles as in below: I have to say Razbam have made a really nice HUD as well (dimmable, very detailed, etc) and it would be a shame to lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Jim..

Are you sure 57X is correct? Try 37X/Y
    ATB
    DaveB
    Roger, Wilco Dave.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ganter View Post
    Thanks for this info PT,

I will do this if I have to but the problem using that excellent HUD - I trust it's the same one as in the mighty FSXBA Hornet 16.1 - is I'll lose the Harrier A/G and, crucially, the VTOL HUD Modes. The VTOL is really needed as it displays VTOL dependant Pitch and Flaps/ Nozzle angles as in below: I have to say Razbam have made a really nice HUD as well (dimmable, very detailed, etc) and it would be a shame to lose it.

As far as to whether the HUD I'm talking about, the answer is yes and no. Helpful, aren't I?
    To explain: The v16.1 HUD is based on Mr. Rusev's HUD, but Orion modified it. A lot. It is been made pretty specific to the Hornet, and every time they release a new version (v17.1.2 in the works atm) the HUD get's updated and improved, for the Hornet specifically. Thus, using the Hornet's HUD would work, but it's not the best choice.
    Mr. Rusev's HUD is much more generic, and thus applicable to more, different aircraft. It's not as sophisticated, but thus, is less specific. Just punch RUSEV into one of the flight sim site's search engine, and choose the NEW REALISTIC HUD. That's Mr. Rusev's latest, and, as far as I know, last. I will keep looking though. I think I saw an even later one someplace...
    All of Dino's planes have Mr. Rusev's HUD. It can be adapted to pretty much any aircraft, and I think Dino's planes have the expanded frequencies for the different carrier packages, including the Clemencau (77X). I believe you mentioned you have the F-35. I would use it's HUD, as I am fairly sure it's the latest.
    Mr. Rusev's Hud can be downloaded alone here: https://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=140860 or search for this file: NEW_Realistic_HUD_for_the_FSX_Hornet.zip . That's the actual file name. Available on many of the popular flight simulator sites. Flightsim, Avsim, Simviation, etc etc.

By the bye: The frequency for the default carrier(s) is 111.00 (47X), Javier's Nimitz is 112.00 (57X), the Clemencau is 113.00 (77X), and I believe there are others, but I can't recall them all off the top of my head. One thing to try is to just keep going up the frequency list. 114.00, 115.00, etc etc.
    A hint: If your chosen plane doesn't have the UFC, you can try pausing the sim, selecting the default C172, put the desired freq into NAV1, then switching back to your desired plane. The HUD will detect the selected frequency. Alternatively, you can add the C172 radio stack into your chosen plane as a pop-up, and then punching the desired freq into that. The HUD will detect it. Just about any "realistic" military plane should have the ability to select TACAN channels, but not all do.

Does this answer your question?
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

By the bye: The frequency for the default carrier(s) is 111.00 (47X), Javier's Nimitz is 112.00 (57X), the Clemencau is 113.00 (77X),

Does this not depend on which version of the RFN TACAN you're using Pat? Nimitz was 57X in RFN 4.1 but in 4.2.. 57X (112.0) is allocated to Aqu1.
    ATB
    DaveB

By the bye: The frequency for the default carrier(s) is 111.00 (47X), Javier's Nimitz is 112.00 (57X), the Clemencau is 113.00 (77X), and I believe there are others, but I can't recall them all off the top of my head. One thing to try is to just keep going up the frequency list. 114.00, 115.00, etc etc.
    A hint: If your chosen plane doesn't have the UFC, you can try pausing the sim, selecting the default C172, put the desired freq into NAV1, then switching back to your desired plane. The HUD will detect the selected frequency. Alternatively, you can add the C172 radio stack into your chosen plane as a pop-up, and then punching the desired freq into that. The HUD will detect it. Just about any "realistic" military plane should have the ability to select TACAN channels, but not all do.

Does this answer your question?
    Pat☺

Great info there PT,
    Thanks very much.

I will port the C172 radio stack and stash it as a shift+5 or 6 as they are unallocated in the Harrier at present.

Dave, also thanks, I will check out the frequencies and see what happens.
    Love it chaps, many thanks for taking the time to post on this.
    All I want is me and my Harrier - in zero viz to be able to find our way back to the flight deck to re-arm, take a leak and grab some grub before the caca hits the fan and we're off again.

Maybe some more explanation (as far as I am aware) .....

As Pat already said, aircraft carriers spawned with AiCarriers have no TACAN assigned to it.

To overcome this problem, Jifko programmed the identification of a specific carrier model in his HUD gauges, based on the VisualModelSize of the aircraft carrier mdl file; a parameter that can be read from the FSX Itraffic module.
    Meaning, that the releation between VisualModelSize, NAV1 freq. and TACAN channel is just a definition that Jivko "defined" in his HUD gauges (very clever solution, by the way).

So any other HUD may use other relations, or other ways to identify a certain carrier.
    Hence, if the HUD in the Razbam Harrier uses other definitions (if any, I don't know), the mentioned ones won't work.

Rob

Does this not depend on which version of the RFN TACAN you're using Pat? Nimitz was 57X in RFN 4.1 but in 4.2.. 57X (112.0) is allocated to Aqu1.
    ATB
    DaveB[/COLOR]
    Actually, what I was talking was only for Mr. Rusev's HUD, and it's upgrades included in the FSDT Hornet.
    I keep the latest RFN system downloaded, in case I ever need to load it up, but I don't use it anyplace. I understand it's compatible with Jivko's HUD, but I've never tried to integrate them.
    Also, I'm not sure about his original version, but I know that Mr. Rusev's Hud, the upgraded version included in the FSX BA F/A-18C v16.1 is TACPAC enabled. Either that, or the newer versions will have it. One of the two...
    I can't afford TacPac, so checking that out is beyond my capabilities, sorry.

By the way, speaking of the FSDT Hornet, and I love to , I believe going to A_A mode on the HUD Control Panel disables the FCS, similar to the Spin Recovery Switch. I am pretty sure the Master Arm has the same effect. Handy if you get into an unrecoverable spin. Not easy, with the advanced FCS in that particular bird, but possible, if you work at it. Trust me on that!
    With the FCS disabled, the plane is still flyable, and fairly controllable, but the incredible controllability the FCS gives is lost, along with the automatic flap controls, and so on...

Thank you for the input, Rob. I am not an XML type, any more than I am an artist, so the insight is greatly appreciated

Have fun all!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Rgr that Rob and Pat

ATB
    DaveB

Rgr that Rob and Pat

ATB
    DaveB

Indeed, thanks Rob and thanks Pat.

I've got it straight now with the fact that the Tacan's in the HUD - and the Razbam harrier ain't got it!

My workaround when I take off from any aiCarriers carrier is to plot a GPS 'Direct To' - wherever. It plots the point of departure which is the deck of the carrier allowing me to find my way back post-manoeuvres. The only downside is doing that cancels the current Flight Plan.

If I was more organised I'd note the carriers GPS position when on deck and retain the active flight plan. Then when done with the sortie, return to the GPS Carrier coordinates previously noted.

Jim

You do know that most carrier ops are on a moving, not stationary carrier? Even for Harriers, as it helps them do a short-roll take-off from the ski-jump, when loaded up heavily? Other aircraft, non-V/STOL aircraft, need the carrier moving for recovery at the very least. It helps develop the required Wind-Over-the-Deck (WOD) they need to trap properly. The F/A-18C, for example, needs a WOD of 35kts. By default, the carriers move (via AICarriers) at 25kts, so you need to either adjust the carrier speed, or add 10kts wind down the angle, 8-9° to port of the BRC.
    I see how your GPS trick would work for a stationary boat, but you make them move, as they should be, and it will be off. How often do you see a carrier anchored, in the middle of the sea, on a perfectly still day, after all? Especially during flight-ops? That's one of the beauties of AICarriers. You can make them move

Always remember old Kirk "Dimple-Chin" Douglas: "Officer-of-the-Deck! Turn the Nimitz into the wind!"

Just wanted to let you know...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

I do Pat, Thanks.

Anything less than about 30 kts coming over the nose of the Harrier and my flying skills become far too tested!!!
    I generally get the Carrier moving, turn it straight into wind (if it isn't already), wait a couple of minutes for it to get fully underway and then go in! (after first requesting the deck is cleared of all men and machinery!)

With the GPS trick - the trick is to memorise the bearing the carrier was on and do a simple calculation of roughly how far and where away it will be based on how long you've been away/ speed of Carrier at 25 Kts. D=S x T

Ok
    I apologize. I meant no insult at all. It just sounded to me like you didn't move the boat. Obviously, you are a lot better at carrier ops than I thought. I apologize again. That's what I get for thinking

Enjoy the boats, whatever bird you use.
    I sure do!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Ok
    I apologize. I meant no insult at all. It just sounded to me like you didn't move the boat. Obviously, you are a lot better at carrier ops than I thought. I apologize again. That's what I get for thinking

Enjoy the boats, whatever bird you use.
    I sure do!
    Pat☺

Hey Pat,

No insult taken at all. I'm plugging you for your knowledge.

How about that RCN Tacan Gauge? Could that work?

I also have Tacpack - for when I fly Dino's F-35B - and in the Harrier I've spawned Javier's Nimitz (10 NM ahead and moving) but still, in the Harrier, no register on FMD - let alone HUD repeater. Static TACAN (VORs register just fine) Does the aircraft have to be Tacpack enabled for that trick with Javier's TACAN to work within a Tacpack enabled theatre?

Cheers for your knowledge so far. makes me realise just how wonderfully integrated are the FSXBA Hornet's systems - all this just works perfectly in that formidable bird. Unfortunately, I'm a bit of a VTOL man!

Jim

I will take a look. I don't use the RFN, but I understand it's integratable (is that a word??) with several systems. I don't have the Harrier but I should be able to dig the carrier info out of it. It depends on whether they have the carrier you want "defined". I know they have the default, the Nimitz package, and several others, so let's see what comes out
    How's that sound?
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

That Pat, sounds absolutely great.

If 'intergratable' isn't a word - it sure is now!

Hehe! If I can't find the word I want, I just make one up. Isn't American English a wonderful language??

Anyway, I did some reading. Yes, the RFN "stuff" is integratable into most planes, including the TacPac enabled planes.
    As to the frequencies to use for it, look for the carrier you want in the RFN_carriers.xml file included with the RFN gauges. Most of the carriers used for such things as CQ practice are listed in it, with the frequencies assigned to them for the RFN gauges. If the particular carrier you want isn't listed, you can either add it, or modify an existing entry to make it exist.
    An extremely informative forum entry can be found https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showt...-TACAN-Problem in the last entry of that thread. You might want to give a read.

Hope this helps some
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

By the way:
    Reading the RFN instruction manual in PDF format for the first time, I noticed that they included a listing of the frequency and TACAN numbers for all the planes they included with the RFN gauges, so you might take a look at installing the RFN stuff so you can get the TACAN numbers into the planes without Jivko's HUD. Like that Harrier you are so fond of
    I know, I know, real men don't read the directions, but what can I say? I gave in to weakness for a moment
    And yes, fully integratable with TacPac, Jivko's HUD equipped planes, and others, so feel free. You have to be able to edit panel.cfg files, but it's a fairly simple add-on.
    Good luck!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

As a sidenote:

@Pat,
    I noticed your posts in the "MV22B-released" thread.
    If you have tried my addon for this: I have added a ground-tracking radar.
    Meaning that you can find any AI Carrier in a (selectable) 1 - 100 nmiles radius, and fly-to it automatically (the radar visually shows the position of the carrier relative to the aircraft, and all aircraft/carrier flight info) where the gauge commands the Autopilot.

Although this addon is now specific for the MV22B, I can easily strip it down to make it generic for any aircraft (like a Harrier) if there's any interrest.
    Only requirement is, that the aircraft uses the standards FSX Autopilot functions; not sure though if the Razbam Harrier uses these, but I guess it does.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CarrierTracking.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by rcbarend View Post
    As a sidenote:

@Pat,
    I noticed your posts in the "MV22B-released" thread.
    If you have tried my addon for this: I have added a ground-tracking radar.
    Meaning that you can find any AI Carrier in a (selectable) 1 - 100 nmiles radius, and fly-to it automatically (the radar visually shows the position of the carrier relative to the aircraft, and all aircraft/carrier flight info) where the gauge commands the Autopilot.

Although this addon is now specific for the MV22B, I can easily strip it down to make it generic for any aircraft (like a Harrier) if there's any interrest.
    Only requirement is, that the aircraft uses the standards FSX Autopilot functions; not sure though if the Razbam Harrier uses these, but I guess it does.

Rob
    Count me in as being very interested,Rob,and as usual great job,and thanks. Cheers

I was so focused on Jivko's HUD, and the RFN gauges, that I didn't even think (no surprize there) about that radar add-on for the Mv22. It sounds like the perfect solution for planes that can't pick the ships up via TACAN. Like the Razbam Harrier, for example
    Or the F8F that just came out from Mr. Shupe. It's a wonderful plane but there's no way to find a previously placed boat. Realistic to put a Radar in it? Not really, but I wouldn't care.
    I'll take a look and see what it would take to make it usable for another bird, if you like, or eagerly await your accomplishment of the same thing. I'd sure appreciate it as an add-on for any plane, that's for sure.
    I know there's a radar out, actually several, but the one I'm thinking of is named ARS4.zip (the downloadable file). It the Advanced Radar System 4 and it shows ships, AI vehicles, etc etc. I'm not sure of it's range, but I think it would work also. I really would rather the radar from Rob, though, having experience with his work. Extremely pleasant experiences, let me say. I've been using his stuff since RCBCO-2.
    I'm thinking that making that radar of yours available as a stand-alone would be an awesome solution, not to mention being a great add on. For any number of planes. I know I certainly would make extensive use of it
    Thank you very much, Rob, I really appreciate the offer. I apologize for using your first name so extensively, BTW. I can never remember how your last name is spelled, no matter how often I see it. Mind like a steel sieve, I swear.
    I will look forward to seeing the radar come out as a separate, stand-alone download.
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Thanks again Rob and Pat,

Rob that look brilliant. I'd love that in the cockpit of the Harrier. I bet it looks fantastic in night vision goggles.
    You say the only requirement is the aircraft uses FSX A/P functions - the Razbam does not have an A/P as such - but it does have SAAHS - as in the real thing.

I've cut and pasted text from the manual as it explains much better than I could do;

SAS is ALWAYS on unless in combat. It seems to smooth out input controls and helps to stop the thing lurching around the skies and causing sickness.
    The two AFC switches I flick on when I've got the ALT and HDG as I want it and it holds those. If you make inputs whilst AFC is engaged the aircraft 'fights' you for control. To desengage you can either flick the two OFF or hit the button for FSX A/P I have mapped on my joystick. So it must, I guess, be using - to some extent - FSX A/P Standards.

What do you think?

Sure looks like it's the usual FSX Ap system, just uses different names, but I've been wrong before
    Stab Aug and AFCS are two different things. Stab Aug just makes the plane smoother. Controls, or smooths out, sudden control excursions. That's why it's off in combat. You're moving the controls too far and too fast for it to keep up with, so to speak. Most Stab Aug systems will "trip" off if the controls are moved too suddenly in any of the three axes. That was one of the tests we did during Phase inspections, in fact. Hook up the hydraulics, and try to trip the Stab Aug. Not the distance you move them, but the sharpness, or suddeness, of movement, if that makes sense.
    The AFCS, on the other hand, is what's called a "Pilot relief" system. Basically, an autopilot. Should use the standard FSX AP functions, so the Radar from Rob should work, I think (although rarely).
    Hope this helps a little...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Members who have read this thread: 0