London Street Scenes

Thread: London Street Scenes

Icon4 London Street Scenes

LONDON... double deck buses, taxi cabs, heavy traffic, and exhaust gases and deposits (horse sh*t at 1:27)could be a big problem. Check out the advertisements on the buses. (using modern lingo here)

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Really Amazing how far we have come in 100+ years
    Thanks for posting
    Rick

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

It's amazing how much is still recognizable today. Oh but the horse traffic is so chaotic. I wonder what the folks of then would make of how we have handled their legacy. Thanks for the share.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

I was listening to a jolly good documentary on the wireless yesterday that came up with some staggering facts;

In 1900 the horse population was somewhere in the order of 100,000.
    The life expectancy of a horse drawing an omnibus was approximately 4 years.
    The Great Horse Manure Crisis of 1894 found that if something radical was not done about horse manure then in another 50 years every street in London would be buried under 9 feet of manure!

Then along came the 'Horseless Carriage' and the World changed forever.
    And then, of course, some bright chap strapped one of these new wonder engines to the front of a kite and we were all in business.

Interesting post Ganter. The life expectancy of an omnibus horse was very sad. While 'The Great Horse Manure Crisis of 1894' sounds like something straight out of Monty Python.

Brian

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    It must have been tough on those poor horses. A good profit margin for the owner demanded the horse be on the job every single day, so many were worked very hard and one wonders at the amount and quality of rest and maintenance they received when their (very hard) working day was done.

Also, I read somewhere constantly walking on cobbles is very hard on a horse, and eventually leads to hoof problems and hairline fractures in their lower legs, which could also account for the high loss rate. If you've ever read or seen "Black Beauty," mention is made of this even in this childrens' book. Very sad in some parts.

Members who have read this thread: 0