ABC's F8F Bearcat - FSX Native Conversion in Progress - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: ABC's F8F Bearcat - FSX Native Conversion in Progress

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    Thanks Milton, I'll look into it again, and hope you and your wife are feeling better.

I suspect it's MCX that's lumping them all together. Bad workman blames his tools!!

In the absence of a paint kit I'm working on putting some panel lines and rivets together and making up bump maps and specs. But don't get much time and these things take me ages, so don't over-excite yourselves!!!

DaveQ
    LOL Okay, will try to remain calm Dave. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    So far so good...traps perfectly! Hope you and your Honey are feeling better!
    Ted
    Great to hear Ted.

Yea, we have some progress to make yet; still full of it and medicated. :-/
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Did you manage to make the drop tank and weapons show up by station load or do you need some code for that, Milton?

I suspect it's MCX that's lumping them all together. Bad workman blames his tools!!
    It's not MCX, but rather XToMDL which will combine all parts that are not visibility tagged or animated and share a single material into a single object.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Did you manage to make the drop tank and weapons show up by station load or do you need some code for that, Milton?

Hi Bjoern,

I do have the drop tank working correctly for both visibility and fuel weight usage.

I have FS9 xml visibility code using L:vars to control visibility of the rockets and bombs that I need to convert to FSX format. I do not have a controlling gauge yet. If you have something, I would be happy to use it.

Thank you
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

The only payload control gauge I have is custom made for certain airliners, so it won't be of any use to you.

If you want to create a loadout control panel, keep in mind that you'll have to use XMLTools because it's the only way to manipulate payload station weight without using the default "Weights and Fuel" screen.

Hi Milton,
    You are quite amazing. Thank you for sharing all of these fantastic projects of yours. Unending enjoyment. Just have one minor beta-testing issue to report, the switch panel (labeling) file not showing up. Thank you again sir for all that you do.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob407 View Post
    Hi Milton,
    You are quite amazing. Thank you for sharing all of these fantastic projects of yours. Unending enjoyment. Just have one minor beta-testing issue to report, the switch panel (labeling) file not showing up. Thank you again sir for all that you do.
    Bob

Ooooops! Thanks Bob; good catch. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

The only payload control gauge I have is custom made for certain airliners, so it won't be of any use to you.

If you want to create a loadout control panel, keep in mind that you'll have to use XMLTools because it's the only way to manipulate payload station weight without using the default "Weights and Fuel" screen.
    Ah, thanks Bjoern. No problem. I'll do something with it.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

It's not MCX, but rather XToMDL which will combine all parts that are not visibility tagged or animated and share a single material into a single object.
    Is there a way of breaking them up using MCX?

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Is there a way of breaking them up using MCX?

DaveQ
    DaveQ, there is no need to do that. Once I assign visibility tags to them, they will be separate (according to Bjoern's statement).

EDIT: I'll try to get the FS9 xml code converted to FSX format today, get those assignments made and one other texture issue resolved, and I'll put out a revised beta by end of day. Maybe we can get all this done, do some final testing and get a release out sometime end of week.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    . . . . .Cockpit textures are not very appealing to me but I will see if something can be done there. . . .
    Agreed! If there is a "problem" with the way the textures appear, it would be that one 1024 texture "CVtole_T" is responsible for all of the texturing in the VC with the exception of the seat, the VC Panel and any textures called from the panel folder. If there is a "wireframe template" available that shows a breakout of the areas that single texture covers then it might be possible to add shadowing that would break up the "washed out" appearance. Otherwise you have a single color blanketing every nook and cranny in the cockpit and the only time that flat color is broken is when self-shadowing comes into play as I illustrated in a previous post.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Agreed! If there is a "problem" with the way the textures appear, it would be that one 1024 texture "CVtole_T" is responsible for all of the texturing in the VC with the exception of the seat, the VC Panel and any textures called from the panel folder. If there is a "wireframe template" available that shows a breakout of the areas that single texture covers then it might be possible to add shadowing that would break up the "washed out" appearance.
    Ed, that is very kind. There is no wire frame but I will look at it a little closer today to see if anything can be done. It would be great to do proper textures with shading to give more realism.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I have converted and added the custom visibility XML for the Bombs, rocket mounts and rockets.

Now looking at how best to implement activation.

There is a panel texture (see attached) that addresses tank(s) and bombs.

Does anyone know what RP stands for?

I can change or vary the number of rockets, but would appreciate some guidance as to how best to use them, or remove them altogether.

Since I am simply trying to embellish a conversion, and I am not up on the RW Bearcat munitions, suggestions would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tab_arm.jpg   ms-2017-may-31-001.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Milton - I'm going to make a guess here and say "RP" stands for 'Rocket Pod' .. Altho it mmight be a reach !!! LOL

WND

Quote Originally Posted by WND View Post
    Milton - I'm going to make a guess here and say "RP" stands for 'Rocket Pod' .. Altho it mmight be a reach !!! LOL

WND
    The question I guess is should each of the rockets be controlled separately (or rather, pairs). If so, one switch would not do it. I doubt two rockets were fired together. But, it could be that one switch fired left to right each time activated. ???

Then for visibility reasons, a control panel would be required to show/hide the pairs, plus the bombs, and that could be used for pairs visibility.

Although this xml programming is beyond my experience, I could probably cobble something together.

Maybe someone with the xml expertise could pop in and donate some code or explain how xmltools could be used to do this.

Here is the xml code for the rocket mounts and the rockets for the left-most rocket. Parts are numbered 1-4.

<!-- Mounts ONLY-->
    <PartInfo>
    <Name>PV2_1_MOUNT</Name>
    <Visibility>
    <Parameter>
    <Code>
    (L:vis_rock1, number) 0 &gt;
    </Code>
    </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
    </PartInfo>

<!-- ROCKET 1 (L to R) (ALL) -->
    <PartInfo>
    <Name>PV2_1_ROCK</Name>
    <Visibility>
    <Parameter>
    <Code>
    (L:vis_rock1, number) 1 &gt;
    </Code>
    </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
    </PartInfo>
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Ed, that is very kind. There is no wire frame but I will look at it a little closer today to see if anything can be done. It would be great to do proper textures with shading to give more realism.
    Ed, I took a look at all the parts and maps using that one texture. The only way I see to resolve the issue is to remap the complete cockpit structure. That is beyond the scope of this conversion IMO.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

RP stands for Rocket Pylon, there are four Mk 9 rocket pylons. The up RP setting arms the rocket pylons, down selects Bombs & Drop Tanks. The right switch selects ordnance fuse selection: up is Both Nose & Tail Arming, center is Safe, down is Tail Arming (for delayed impact). This info is from the F8F Pilot's Manual, Section V Armements.

Quote Originally Posted by llanning08 View Post
    RP stands for Rocket Pylon, there are four Mk 9 rocket pylons. The up RP setting arms the rocket pylons, down selects Bombs & Drop Tanks. The right switch selects ordnance fuse selection: up is Both Nose & Tail Arming, center is Safe, down is Tail Arming (for delayed impact).
    Ah, great! That is very helpful Sir. Thank you. :-)

Is there a separate panel for firing? Or how is the Gunsight panel used for firing? Outb'd and TNB'd?
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Ed, I took a look at all the parts and maps using that one texture. The only way I see to resolve the issue is to remap the complete cockpit structure. That is beyond the scope of this conversion IMO.
    I agree Milton. I did try adding random areas of shading on the texture just to see the results and while not successful in being a good "fix" it did show that it would do the trick if we had a template to go by.

Current System Specs:

This is a better explanation:

C. Rockets.
    (1) GENERAL. - Prtovision is made for installing four MK 9 rocket pylons on the under side of the center section, two left and two right, adjacent to the folding axis. Four AR HVAR's can be installed on these pylons. The rockets are armed and fired only by electrical control. Rockets cannot be released in the safe condition.

(2) TO FIRE ROCKETS.
    (a) RP - Bombs and Drop Tanks selector switch - RP (early models).
    (b) Rockets are set for impact burst by putting the arming switch tp "NOSE and TAIL ARMING", and delayed burst by turning the arming switch to :TAIL ARMING".
    (c) Number of rockets to be fired and sequence is controlled by setting the MK 1 Rocket Selector Switch mounted on the fuel control panel.
    (d) Armament master switch - "ON".
    (e) Press bomb button on the stick grip (early models). Press rocket button on stick grip (later models).

WARNING - Do NOT push SALVO PRESET as the instantaneous firing
    of four rockets places an excessive strain on the wings.

(3) F8F-2 airplanes are equipped with a MK 2 rocket selector switch which permits firing rockets in singles or pairs. A three trigger switch provides a separate trigger for rockets and eliminates the use of teh bpmb switch to fire rockets.

Here is a URL for the F8F Pilot's Manual for your info as needed:

http://www.avialogs.com/en/aircraft/....html#download

Quote Originally Posted by llanning08 View Post
    This is a better explanation:

C. Rockets.
    (1) GENERAL. - Prtovision is made for installing four MK 9 rocket pylons on the under side of the center section, two left and two right, adjacent to the folding axis. Four AR HVAR's can be installed on these pylons. The rockets are armed and fired only by electrical control. Rockets cannot be released in the safe condition.

(2) TO FIRE ROCKETS.
    (a) RP - Bombs and Drop Tanks selector switch - RP (early models).
    (b) Rockets are set for impact burst by putting the arming switch tp "NOSE and TAIL ARMING", and delayed burst by turning the arming switch to :TAIL ARMING".
    (c) Number of rockets to be fired and sequence is controlled by setting the MK 1 Rocket Selector Switch mounted on the fuel control panel.
    (d) Armament master switch - "ON".
    (e) Press bomb button on the stick grip (early models). Press rocket button on stick grip (later models).

WARNING - Do NOT push SALVO PRESET as the instantaneous firing
    of four rockets places an excessive strain on the wings.

(3) F8F-2 airplanes are equipped with a MK 2 rocket selector switch which permits firing rockets in singles or pairs. A three trigger switch provides a separate trigger for rockets and eliminates the use of teh bpmb switch to fire rockets.

Here is a URL for the F8F Pilot's Manual for your info as needed:

http://www.avialogs.com/en/aircraft/....html#download
    Ah, good explanation. This is the -2 model so it seems there is a separate selector switch.

BTW, the manual is available for member download only.

Thanks

Not sure where I can go with this but for now, the munitions are visual candy only.

The best I could do is simply provide visibility of these items with as a maximum of only altering weight so not sure if that is so beneficial.

I can provide clean and loaded models separately and adjust weights accordingly but not sure if that is worth it.

Tacpac is the ultimate I suppose but that is out of scope for me on this conversion.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Correct, Milton. Must be a member to download, but you can load the manual to read without logging on to the site.

Just a note for all who want to use a catapult launch rather than just flying off the deck, which I've done comfortably several times: There is a setting for your FSX.cfg file that makes the catapult work a lot better, on a larger variety of different aircraft. Under the [REALISM] heading, add the line CatapultForceLimiter=0 //Enables the catapult systems to generate the required force for any type of aircraft.
    It keeps the cat from tearing the gear off, to give a shorter description

Not essential, but it makes the plane's end-speed accurate for that weight of aircraft, thus improving the plane's "realism". I use it, and it works great for me. Get a different end-speed for the Hornet, and the F8F, as well as the C172 I used when I was first learning carriers in FSX. Handy setting.

Good fortune all!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

I have the bombs and rockets set up with mounts and bomb/rockets separately addressable. The model is ready to accept visibility control by a gauge.

The model loads up without them visible. Once they are visible, they are available for use.
    Once used, the mounts remain in place.

So, what I would like to know is: would anyone be interested in providing an xml gauge to control the munitions.

I am thinking a 2D popup would be a simple way to go, but will certainly entertain putting the graphic and switches in the VC.

I believe 2 sets of switches would be necessary: a set for visibility/loadout, and a set for firing/use/hiding.
    In each set, there would be 2 bomb switches and 4 rocket switches.

Please post here or PM me if you can help. Thanks

Here is the visibility code (and the rules for operation) in the model:

F8F-2 Bearcat Munitions Visibility

XML Needed to Control Visibility and Selection to Hide

Two Bomb Mounts and Two Bombs
    Four Rocket Mounts and Four Rockets
    Parts are numbered 1 to 4, port to starboard.
    Rocket Pairs are 1 and 4 (outboard), 2 and 3 (inboard).

L:VARS Values:
    0 = Neither mounts nor bombs/rockets visible (Not loaded or desired for flight)
    1 = mounts visible (bombs/rockets have been used)
    2 = mounts and bombs/rockets visible (Loaded and available; only ground loading, engine/battery off for safety)

Modeled XML Code

<!-- Bomb Mounts ONLY-->
    <PartInfo>
    <Name>BOMB1_MOUNT</Name>
    <Visibility>
    <Parameter>
    <Code>
    (L:vis_bomb1, number) 0 &gt;
    </Code>
    </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
    </PartInfo>

<PartInfo>
    <Name>BOMB2_MOUNT</Name>
    <Visibility>
    <Parameter>
    <Code>
    (L:vis_bomb2, number) 0 &gt;
    </Code>
    </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
    </PartInfo>

<!-- BOMBS Only -->

<!-- BOMB 1 (L to R) -->
    <PartInfo>
    <Name>BOMB1_BOMB</Name>
    <Visibility>
    <Parameter>
    <Code>
    (L:vis_bomb1, number) 1 &gt;
    </Code>
    </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
    </PartInfo>

<!-- BOMB 2 (L to R) -->
    <PartInfo>
    <Name>BOMB2_BOMB</Name>
    <Visibility>
    <Parameter>
    <Code>
    (L:vis_bomb2, number) 1 &gt;
    </Code>
    </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
    </PartInfo>

<!-- Rocket Mounts ONLY-->
    <PartInfo>
    <Name>RCKT1_MOUNT</Name>
    <Visibility>
    <Parameter>
    <Code>
    (L:vis_rock1, number) 0 &gt;
    </Code>
    </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
    </PartInfo>

<PartInfo>
    <Name>RCKT2_MOUNT</Name>
    <Visibility>
    <Parameter>
    <Code>
    (L:vis_rock2, number) 0 &gt;
    </Code>
    </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
    </PartInfo>

<PartInfo>
    <Name>RCKT3_MOUNT</Name>
    <Visibility>
    <Parameter>
    <Code>
    (L:vis_rock3, number) 0 &gt;
    </Code>
    </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
    </PartInfo>

<PartInfo>
    <Name>RCKT4_MOUNT</Name>
    <Visibility>
    <Parameter>
    <Code>
    (L:vis_rock4, number) 0 &gt;
    </Code>
    </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
    </PartInfo>

<!-- ROCKETS Only -->

<!-- ROCKET 1 (L to R) -->
    <PartInfo>
    <Name>RCKT1_ROCK</Name>
    <Visibility>
    <Parameter>
    <Code>
    (L:vis_rock1, number) 1 &gt;
    </Code>
    </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
    </PartInfo>

<!-- ROCKET 2 (L to R) -->
    <PartInfo>
    <Name>RCKT2_ROCK</Name>
    <Visibility>
    <Parameter>
    <Code>
    (L:vis_rock2, number) 1 &gt;
    </Code>
    </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
    </PartInfo>

<!-- ROCKET 3 (L to R) -->
    <PartInfo>
    <Name>RCKT3_ROCK</Name>
    <Visibility>
    <Parameter>
    <Code>
    (L:vis_rock3, number) 1 &gt;
    </Code>
    </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
    </PartInfo>

<!-- ROCKET 4 (L to R) -->
    <PartInfo>
    <Name>RCKT4_ROCK</Name>
    <Visibility>
    <Parameter>
    <Code>
    (L:vis_rock4, number) 1 &gt;
    </Code>
    </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
    </PartInfo>
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I think what I will do here is release this product as it is. All the changes recommended have been made. The optional .air file is included for the added drag on dive recovery flaps.
    The bombs and rockets and mounts are modeled to not show until the required gauge is added to manage them. The parts have visibility tags so they can be individually managed. Instructions for what needs to be done are included.

So, when loaded, a clean version will show with a drop tank (that can be easily dropped if not desired).

The package will be uploaded Friday evening or Saturday morning unless something changes.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I think what I will do here is release this product as it is. All the changes recommended have been made. The optional .air file is included for the added drag on dive recovery flaps.
    The bombs and rockets and mounts are modeled to not show until the required gauge is added to manage them. The parts have visibility tags so they can be individually managed. Instructions for what needs to be done are included.

So, when loaded, a clean version will show with a drop tank (that can be easily dropped if not desired).

The package will be uploaded Friday evening or Saturday morning unless something changes.
    It'll be a great package Milton. I was hoping that maybe Roman would resurface to do the gauge you needed.

Current System Specs:

Members who have read this thread: 0