Two full size spartan 7w executive luxury transports

Thread: Two full size spartan 7w executive luxury transports

Two full size spartan 7w executive luxury transports

TWO FULL SIZE SPARTAN 7W EXECUTIVE LUXURY TRANSPORTS DISPLAY AT THE LITTLE GRANSDEN AIRSHOW - 2016

Both of these planes are from Delaware
    with US registration numbers, what are they doing in the UK?

Wanted to hear the Pratt & Whitney R-985-AN3 9-cylinder air-cooled radial engine
    on this plane

1939 Spartan Executive - Engine Start

This cockpit looks to have a lot of high end avionics and other bells and whistles.

Edit: the pilot/owner of this aircraft made this comment:

The airplane is flown on a regular basis and my home airport is in close proximity to Class B airspace. As such, modern avionics is almost a necessity.
    The exterior of the Spartan is very original, except for modern brakes.

I want one of those. Absolutely beautiful paint on the grey one.
    Cary Grant, Rothschild or a later Rockefeller should stroll across the grass and hop in.

The owner is British is what they are doing over here. We let you buy Spitfires and quite like buying Mustangs and other gems in the opposite direction.

Actually he bought the second to provide spares for the first, and then found he could keep them both airworthy. Not sure how he flies both at the same time mind you.

One or other regularly turns up at the Goodwood Revival every September for the aviation display. Listening to them take off the engine note sounds less throaty than the one that comes with Milton's Exec. Maybe he tiptoes to spare the engine, and pay for fuel at our rates.....

I prefer the sound and price of Milton's version.

I was lucky enough to see them both displaying at Little Gransden in 2014. The first thing I did when I got home was download Milton's version.

Quote Originally Posted by arl View Post
    The owner is British is what they are doing over here. We let you buy Spitfires and quite like buying Mustangs and other gems in the opposite direction.

Actually he bought the second to provide spares for the first, and then found he could keep them both airworthy. Not sure how he flies both at the same time mind you.

One or other regularly turns up at the Goodwood Revival every September for the aviation display. Listening to them take off the engine note sounds less throaty than the one that comes with Milton's Exec. Maybe he tiptoes to spare the engine, and pay for fuel at our rates.....

I prefer the sound and price of Milton's version.
    Actually, I meant they still have their (USA) NC ID numbers and I would of thought they would of had a local registration ID appropriate to the UK.

It is a relatively recent phenomenon, I think retaining the N Regs allows reduced running costs in the UK - but it is kinda (like very) complicated. I've seen a few N reg aircraft about so it must be worth doing. The N reg suits the classic Exec, a bit like an Italian reg on a Ferrari 250GTO.

My idea of recent extends a decade or two but I think allowing foreign regs in the UK started this century. I remember too much of the last one!

They are beautifully presented. Can't help thinking it's a bit greedy to keep two of such a rare beauty to yourself all the same.

Funnily enough, at the Goodwood Revival there are some cars that run in the classes for pre-war cars that glory in their "original patina" - i.e. they look total un-cared for dogs. A lot lighter on the elbow grease than polishing up a couple of shiny Execs, and presumably they can spend more time tweaking the engines.

The Execs must be a nightmare to polish all the sticky finger prints from rubberneckers off after a day out.

Members who have read this thread: 0