MV DHC-2 Beaver released! - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MV DHC-2 Beaver released!

Can anyone provide feedback on the v4 patch and on the FDE? I am waiting to install until they release the installer for v4, and I am hoping that the service releases are shaping her into an indispensable aircraft for the backcountry flyer......

TIA

Carl

PS- really interested in the axis assignment issue, as I use the A2A 182 as well, and that one requires the throttle be mapped to Throttle, not Throttle 1.... any insights would be most appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by cavaricooper View Post
    Can anyone provide feedback on the v4 patch and on the FDE? I am waiting to install until they release the installer for v4, and I am hoping that the service releases are shaping her into an indispensable aircraft for the backcountry flyer......

TIA

Carl

PS- really interested in the axis assignment issue, as I use the A2A 182 as well, and that one requires the throttle be mapped to Throttle, not Throttle 1.... any insights would be most appreciated.
    its still in testing

Are You ready for hard work this summer?

Expansion incoming!

Screenies in P3Dv4.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Great work on the skin!
    Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz Cpu, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB Videocard, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 Water Cooler, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI Motherboard, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W Power Supply, G.SKILL 48Gb Ram @76000 MHz DDR5 Ram, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB Drive, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Are You ready for hard work this summer?

Expansion incoming!

Screenies in P3Dv4.
    Nice! The duster looks like fun, but I think I'm more eager for the straight floats, STOL kit and the FDE tweaks. Any idea on release? Are we talking hours, days, weeks? ;-)

Isn't it strange that we get pictures of the modified aircraft here but nothing on the milviz forum.

Cheers Chris

Yo-Yo et al-

The ag. kit is great, but please tell me more about the FDE and how she FLIES... there was work remaining... has progress been made?

Best- C

Quote Originally Posted by speedy70 View Post
    Isn't it strange that we get pictures of the modified aircraft here but nothing on the milviz forum.

Cheers Chris
    not really, MV have been posting pics and updates on Facebook of several new products for a long time

UPDATE AND EXPANSION PACK OUT NOW- installing

C

As for the announcement... We are releasing a very extensive expansion pack for the DHC-2, which includes straight floats, a STOL wing mod kit, and a version of the DHC-2 with a fully functional crop duster. This expansion brings the total number of DHC-2 variants to 11! The expansion pack is a separate purchase, with a regular price of $14.99. However, we are giving all current Beaver owners who purchased directly from us a $5 discount on the expansion pack for the next 30 days, bringing the price down to $9.99.

Your individual discount code is: removed

To use this discount code:
    1) From our website, add the expansion pack to your shopping cart
    2) Enter the provided discount code by clicking on the text that reads "Got a code?". Be sure to click on 'update' to apply the code and update your shopping cart total.
    3) You may checkout your cart at any time.

This discount code will only be valid for the next 30 days. It may not be used for any other product other than the MilViz DHC-2 Spray n' Play Expansion Pack, and is only valid on our website. (Important: This discount is only available to customers of the MilViz DHC-2 Beaver who have purchased the aircraft directly from our website. Please do not share your code with anyone else.)

Learn more about the expansion pack here: http://milviz.com/flight/products/DHC2EXP/

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Got my email this morning. Downloaded the upgrade but will have to wait until next pay day to get the expansion pack. Nothing was mentioned about the paint kit being upgraded though.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

It has been quite a while (with additional releases) since this post.... has there been any further work on the FDE re. ground handling during the T/O roll and in the latter stages of final approach? I keep wanting to love this one, as I waited so long for her... but she's not there yet. Any word on the clipping of the last radio digits? She's well worth knocking for a six, and I hope they do it!

Best- C

Any word on the clipping of the last radio digits?
    If you are referring to the half digit showing in the standard radio stack, edit file 'radi_d.xml' in base Beaver 'panel/C310_XMLGauges'

Change 6.3 to 5.2 in these two lines:

<String>%((A:COM1 ACTIVE FREQUENCY, MHz))%!6.3f!</String>

<String>%((A:COM1 STANDBY FREQUENCY, MHz))%!6.3f!</String>

WS

It has been quite a while (with additional releases) since this post.... has there been any further work on the FDE re. ground handling during the T/O roll and in the latter stages of final approach? I keep wanting to love this one, as I waited so long for her... but she's not there yet. Any word on the clipping of the last radio digits? She's well worth knocking for a six, and I hope they do it!

Best- C
    I prefer to buy directly from the developers, but FSPilotshop now has 30% off the Beaver and the Expansion pack.
    Would I buy it again? Without a doubt.
    As someone who flies nowhere but the PNW up to Alaska and very rarely goes above 5,000ft, it's the perfect plane for me.
    There are a few things that I wish Milviz did differently. I suppose it depends on how much you like flying into small places in bad weather.
    If you decide to get it, I would recommend the expansion pack also.
    It also comes with the MV_WX radar built into the panel

Best- C
    I so absolutely second this. I know there was a patch released at the end of December I have not had a chance to install yet, but there were no FDE changes in the changelog so I'm assuming it wasn't touched.

But she is SO CLOSE to perfect, and I think that is what makes the unrealistic tail behavior on takeoff and landing so vexing. If she flew more like a video game than a quality simulation, this kind of thing would be expected, but it IS frustrating to see a developer create such a lifelike model and then neglect something so central to taildragger flight dynamics as propwash/tail behavior during the roll, and ability to perform wheel landings when circumstances would call for them in real life.

I fully recognize that's easy for me to say, given my lack of knowledge of what goes into actually coding these things. However I can't help but observe that several other payware and freeware models more accurately represent taildragger behavior on the ground than the MV Beaver. She is, as Carl says, SO close to perfect... why not get her there?

One more thing I should say about how it flies. And it is probably the same in the real Beaver.
    How it takes off and lands has a lot to do with how it is loaded.
    When you set up the plane, you select whether it is for passengers or as a cargo plane, if you select cargo, you can fill the plane up with cargo all the way to the back.
    Until you change that setting, it is always loaded this way. If you don't change the amount of fuel when setting up your flight, it is always completely full.
    You tend to forget how heavy the plane is when you just start up a flight and take off.
    Last night I started a flight in one of the float versions and it would not get off the water. It took me awhile to figure out why, it was full of cargo and all three tanks were full. I emptied some of the cargo and reduced the amount of fuel and it took off fine.
    I think that most of the people who have complained about how it handles have the plane overloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyjo View Post
    I think that most of the people who have complained about how it handles have the plane overloaded.
    This is SOOOO common in the ESP sims mostly because the default fuel load is full all tanks.

Milviz has endured a lot of criticism about some of its models that was a direct result of armchair pilots not checking the performance specs against the weight of the aircraft (which was accurately modeled in all the cases I've seen).

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger75 View Post
    If you are referring to the half digit showing in the standard radio stack, edit file 'radi_d.xml' in base Beaver 'panel/C310_XMLGauges'

Change 6.3 to 5.2 in these two lines:

<String>%((A:COM1 ACTIVE FREQUENCY, MHz))%!6.3f!</String>

<String>%((A:COM1 STANDBY FREQUENCY, MHz))%!6.3f!</String>

WS
    WS- Ta! I will give that a go!

Quote Originally Posted by henrystreet View Post
    This is SOOOO common in the ESP sims mostly because the default fuel load is full all tanks.

Milviz has endured a lot of criticism about some of its models that was a direct result of armchair pilots not checking the performance specs against the weight of the aircraft (which was accurately modeled in all the cases I've seen).
    ... not the case this time... I LIKE how she flies MOSTLY.... there are some little bits that still need work. For some reason I really wanted to quoth, "Nevermore!" here

C

For some reason I really wanted to quoth, "Nevermore!" here

C
    teehee ;-)

Cavaricooper:
    I only read your post #88, as it was new today.
    I thought you were still on the fence about whether to buy the beaver, I didn't realize you had already bought it.
    I guess my reply didn't make much sense. Anyway, I agree with you that there are a few things that I hope Milviz will update.

I can't comment on community feedback about other MV aircraft as I don't have any, but I can say that these specific criticisms are warranted. At no weight or CG can the MV Beaver come close to replicating realistic taildragger tail behavior on the takeoff roll; nor can it replicate wheel landings - which, if you're a taildragger pilot, is one of the more fun things you can do in an airplane (not to mention being operationally dictated in some bush scenarios). For what it might be worth, not just an "armchair" pilot here.

MV confirmed on their forum that propwash is not modeled, which means the tail will never behave correctly on takeoff. I still can't figure out exactly why it can't wheel land; there's plenty of elevator effectiveness in flight but as soon as airspeed drops below a certain value on the ground, elevator effectiveness disappears all at once instead of gradually, so holding the tail up is pretty impossible.

If you choose to only perform 3 point takeoffs and landings, she flies great in my opinion. That's just not how taildraggers are always, or even usually, flown.

I still fly and enjoy her a lot, but those points really do tarnish an otherwise excellent model for me...

I don't have the Milviz Otter, has Milviz addressed the problem in that model ? Or is it something that they just don't model.
    I do have the A2A Cub and the Flight Replicas Super Cub, both of which model propwash, in both models the rear of the plane can be lifted off the ground at standstill with the brakes applied.
    So It certainly can be modeled. Hopefully Milviz will put out an update that models this.
    Even with it's faults, it is a very nice plane, I have no regrets about buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyjo View Post
    I don't have the Milviz Otter, has Milviz addressed the problem in that model ? Or is it something that they just don't model.
    I do have the A2A Cub and the Flight Replicas Super Cub, both of which model propwash, in both models the rear of the plane can be lifted off the ground at standstill with the brakes applied.
    So It certainly can be modeled. Hopefully Milviz will put out an update that models this.
    Even with it's faults, it is a very nice plane, I have no regrets about buying it.
    Hi there,.

I don't have the Otter either, so I'm afraid I don't know. The A2A accusimmed Cub (and even more so, their T-6) are my gold standards of taildragger behavior in the sim though. I understand that's somewhat proprietary technology, but when even some freeware models behave more realistically in this regard... well, it's frustrating is all.

But I agree with everything you've said: it IS a very nice plane, one of my favorites in fact, and I absolutely have no regrets about buying it. I encourage everyone who enjoys this kind of flying to buy it. I'd rather fly it as is than not at all!

Greetings
    Dieter
    Win10 Pro 64 bit - RAM 16GB -1 SSD 1TB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 HD 1TB/Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,2 GHz - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - MSFS

Members who have read this thread: 1