Question re: Java

Thread: Question re: Java

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries

Question re: Java

I wanted to install "AI Carriers" and get started on carrier ops in this sim. I went to the "AI Carriers" file in the root folder for the sim and clicked on the .exe file. Apparently I don't have Java installed on this machine, or my version is out of date. I went to the site recommended in the AI Carriers file to download Java and am ready to do so, my version of the JRE will be 1.8.0_121, well above the 1.5 recommended in the AI Carriers file. I have seen in the past there are potential security issues involving Java. Is there a workaround to not need Java when installing this AI Carriers program, or is it a must-have?

Hmm.. I feel your pain. Unless you really want the Java version.. try the .NET version instead. It functions exactly the same as the Java version and looks exactly the same. Main difference is it uses .net which ships with Windows. I don't have a link to hand but you should be able to find it at FSDreamteam.
    EDIT: Found a link here: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/ind...c,11293.0.html

ATB
    DaveB

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Dave - I used your link to find and download the .NET version of AICarriers. Opened the zip, found the sample EXE.XML file therein and, after deleting the original EXE.XML file, just moved the new one into the FSX folder in the "appdata" FSX file. I need to put in the correct path for the "AICarriers" .exe, which in my case will be "G:\Microsoft FSX\AICarriers\AICarriers.exe." What program do you need to do the editing within the EXE.XML file I moved into my FSX folder? I tried Notebook, all it allows me to do it highlight text in blue but nothing else. This is the last step left before I can give this new installation a try - I hope!

Hmm.. a good question. Sometimes, you can get away with using Notepad but there's never a guarantee it will maintain the formatting and if the formatting goes.. the file is a dead duck. I'm sure I've used Notepad before to do this but ideally, you want something like Notepad++. Notepad++ will not change the formatting and it can be used as a HEX editor too.. useful if you want to change attached effects like poor nav lights which is my main use for it.

Here's a link for it: https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

It's free and it gets updated regularly. If you're not sure which version to download, it will suggest one for you. Don't worry about it eating resources either.. it has a very small footprint

EDIT: Oh.. and if you don't want to have AIC.NET flash-up when you start the sim, you don't need the EXE.XML. Just make a shortcut to your desktop

ATB
    DaveB

I tried Notebook, all it allows me to do it highlight text in blue but nothing else. This is the last step left before I can give this new installation a try - I hope!
    Ohhh, no! NEVER use a word processor like Notebook. As Dave says, they change the formatting and add symbols to the file that render it useless.
    Use either NotePad, which comes with Windows, or NotePad++. Neither changes the formatting nor do they add symbols.
    Additionally, never, ever delete a file you want to edit.

ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP COPY BEFORE you start any editing.

Also, if anything else has already been added to you exe.xml, you just got rid of it. You ADD things to your exe.xml, not replace it. Take a look at the example exe.xml file provided. Use your editor, NotePad, for example, highlight the section that has to do with AIC, thus:

<Launch.Addon>
    <Name>AICarriers</Name>
    <Disabled>False</Disabled>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>F:\LM P3D\AICarriers\AICarriers.exe</Path>
    </Launch.Addon>

That's all you need to copy into your exe.xml. Use the copy-n-paste feature, and paste into your current exe.xml. Place it under the last </Launch.Addon> line, but above the line </SimBase.Document>. It is perfectly acceptable to use ENTER after the last </Launch.Addon> line to create a space to place your addition into the exe.xml. Save the modified exe.xml. NOW go in and place the correct path in place of the example's. Save it again, close it, and start up FSX.
    NOTE: You need to completely close and then start FSX for it to read the changed exe.xml. It's best to completely close FSX before you even start the editing process. Make absolutely AIC is NOT still running after you close FSX. It has been known to stay running, even with FSX closed. Not always, but on occaision.

Then, go do CQ's all day long! I do
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Dave and Pat, thank you so much. I didn't have anything else in the original file except what was put first in the substitute .EXE that comes with the download. I made sure to check what was the first entry on the substitute file was also the first entry in the file I was replacing. They were exactly identical, which is why I moved it over wholesale from the download. But just to be sure, I also saved a copy of the original file as well, in its own folder. I'll cast around tomorrow for what I need to complete this process, based on your input, and let you know the results.

My wife has been mourning the dog we lost two days after last Christmas and today she found one after an internet search she just had to have. Not too bad a drive - only about 2.5 hours each way. Nice people out in rural Georgia. We just blew back in here about 20 mins ago and we are all getting to really know each other - me, her, the dog and the five cats. Back to the grind tomorrow.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on how this goes.

Sounds good!
    I'm glad y'all found a new doggie. A loss like that can be hard. It's no replacement, but it sure helps to move on from it.

I didn't mean to sound condescending, or that you didn't know the how-to's of FSX. I just rather give a little too much information than not enough. Saves time later

Hope you and all your pets are doing well, and are happy
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Well, I changed and saved the EXE.DLL as outlined above, put the AICarriers file back in the FSX root folder, then started FSX and, once the chosen aircraft was loaded, pressed Shift + j - and no new choices appear on the menu bar with I highlight anything. Nothing new at all in the sim. What am I doing wrong?

UPDATE: Let me amend my previous statements - after starting the sim, I shrank the screen somewhat, opened the FSX root folder, opened the AICarriers folder, and found the ".exe" for this add-on. Pressed that, got a small dialog box showing AICarriers was now active. I now have an "Add-ons" addition to the menu bar, so looks like we're in business.

My next order of business is to add a number of CVs to this sim - will probably be asking questions about that, too.

Thanks again for the pointers!

Glad you've got it sorted out!
    By the bye, it's the EXE.XML file, not the EXE.DLL. Just want to be sure
    The trick to that is be absolutely certain you have the path correct, to where YOUR copy of AICarriers is located on your HD. With FSX, it doesn't HAVE to be under your main FSX folder. That's something required by P3D. You certainly CAN put it there, but it's not a requirement, like with P3D. You just have to be accurate with the PATHING in your EXE.XML file. That includes capital letters, drive letters, etc etc. Finally, wherever you want AIC located, place ALL it's main folder, files, and subfolders there as well. You can't just have the .exe file in one location, and all the other fun stuff it needs someplace else.
    There are many many carriers, not to mention other ships available for AIC, on many sites, like SOH, Simviation, Flightsim, and so on. Destroyers, cruisers, anything you can land a rotorcraft or fixed wing bird on.
    A hint, when you begin adding, if I may: DON'T add the config files directly to the main AICarriers.cfg file. Go into the conf.d folder, and make a sub-folder in it, name of your choice. Place the new .cfg files THERE, and only place them into the conf.d folder when you might want to utilize them. If you add things directly into the main .cfg file, or the conf.d folder, you will wind up with so many pages to search through to find the ship you want when you hit SHFT-J, that it will take you longer to find your boat than to fly around it!
    If you only place a .cfg file into the conf.d folder from your added sub-folder, it will keep your time searching through the SHFT+J menu reasonable. Copy the config file you want out of your new sub-folder into the conf.d folder, then when you want something different, delete it from the conf.d folder, and copy the new one in.
    If you change the size of the main FSX window, BTW, shrinking it down, you will need to use your mouse to move down the menu pages available when you hit SHFT+J, or use your number pad to select the next page (9). When you shrink the FSX window, it tends to cut-off the bottom of the SHFT+J menu, so be aware.
    There are some little tips and tricks to AIC, so be ready to have a bit of a learning curve.
    Other than that, enjoy it! I sure do
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Members who have read this thread: 0