Rudder Pedal Suggestions

Thread: Rudder Pedal Suggestions

Blog Entries

Rudder Pedal Suggestions

Hi,
    I've been having a lot of trouble with my Saitek rudder pedals, basically they've stopped working, I think it's a driver problem, I've searched all the forums, tried all sorts of fixes, re formatted my hard drive but still the computer will not recognise the device and I can't install the drivers so I've come to the conclusion that maybe it's time to try some new pedal.

The Saitek ones have been working fine for many years and I've been very happy with them, but I don't want to replace them with new Saitek ones because I'm thinking that the problem that I've got will be just the same with a new set so that leaves me with a bit of a dilemma, which pedals to buy?

I've looked ate those new ones from Thrustmaster, which are a good price:

http://shop.thrustmaster.com/en_gb/p...er-pedals.html

but I've seen a review that says the pedals are only two and a half inches apart which, to me makes them useless.

There's also the CH Pro pedals, at a reasonable price:

http://www.chproducts.com/Pro-Pedals-v13-d-716.html

but again the pedals are to close together, this time four inches.

There's also the VKB pedals, made from recycled Russian T-34 tanks, which actually look very nice but don't have toe brakes and are starting to get a little pricy:

http://vkb-sim.pro/T-Rudder-MkIV/

I don't know if they ship to the U.K (every time I click on the "Buy Now" tab it takes you around in circles, but they are available from X Plane.org in the U.S.A but I don't know if they will ship to the U.K, plus the delivery charge and duty that will have to be paid will bump up the price quite a bit.

Has anyone any suggestion for any pedals that I've missed? I'd be very grateful for any suggestions.

Regards,
    Ian

CH Pro pedals are bombproof. I have a set that are still calibrating like new after more than a decade's hard use. They aren't too close together.

In general, I've found CH products to be very well made and exhibit a longevity beyond most other brands.

Have you tried uninstalling the product software and re-installing? Nevermind, I re-read you post. :-/

I have been using CH Pedals for 17 years, 3 sets over that time. Happy with the quality for the price.
    I usually price shop Amazon and look around from there.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by IanHenry View Post
    Has anyone any suggestion for any pedals that I've missed?
    Thought by many to be the best pedals available, but a little pricey - MFG Crosswinds: http://mfg.simundza.com/products.

Concur.. CH stuff is built to withstand a nuclear explosion

Be wary of buying from outside the EU/UK Ian. I bought my CH Pro Pedals and Pro Yoke from PCAviator easily 10years ago and the price was very attractive. However, when they turned up on my doorstep, I'd got a hefty import tax/handling charge for both and postie wasn't going to let go until I coughed up In the event, they'd have cost pretty much the same had I sourced them from the UK. We live and learn

ATB
    DaveB

CH Pro Pedals. Over 13 years and still using my first set. Still work as well as the day I installed them, and I've installed them on three different systems!
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Quote Originally Posted by Duckie View Post
    CH Pro Pedals. Over 13 years and still using my first set. Still work as well as the day I installed them, and I've installed them on three different systems!
    Duckie's story is nearly exact to mine. Pedals purchased new in 2004 and have been along for the ride in Windows XP, 8.1 and now 10.

I did open them up once about three years ago to clean out the dust bunnies and check the connections and springs but still going strong.

Blog Entries
    Well, those are pretty strong recommendation's for the CH pedals!

Yes Dave, I've been stung by that before, I think we need to negotiate a trade deal with Mr Trump. I have found the VKB pedals for sale in Europe here: https://flightsimcontrols.com/ but when they've added 21% tax (it should be 20% for the U.k) and the cost of shipping they work out a little expensive.

Yes Vortex, the MFG Crosswinds do look very nice, but unfortunately a bit rich for my bank account!

Thanks everyone,
    Ian

wilbur and orville would have loved ch pedals..as i and for many years...that are a real kiss...keep it simple stupid!

Im user of MFG

and I recomend it, check it here: http://mfg.simundza.com/products

T.Flight Rudder Pedals of Thrustmaster are disaster.....

Before MFG I had CH Products and after this Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Both not perfect but was nice.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I understand the VKB pedals have toe brakes but are software driven under windows as opposed to being actual mechanical ones.

I will say about VKB, I recently bought their Gladiator II joystick and it is beautiful, built like a tank, comfortable in use, accurate. Very reasonably priced and up there with the Thrustmaster in quality IMO.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Another vote for the CH Pro Pedals.
    Cheers

The Old Master Sergeant

I have the CH Pedals, have had them for over a decade and they still work great, just not the coolest looking. I would vote for those also.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

I have a pair of the mfgs as well. One of the best recent purchase decisions in flight sim I have made in the last two years...

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
    Per Ardua ad Astra

I have the Thrustmaster pedals, simply because I wanted to spend as little as possible and see how possible it was to actually recreate the feel of handling a real aircraft on my computer. Not surprisingly, I find it depends a lot on the aircraft model lol. The A2A stuff I've tried is about the best I've seen.

Anyway, the pedals - I wonder how many people who complain about their spacing have been in a real aircraft? Because the reality is, they're no closer together than the rudder pedals in any single engine Cessna. When I fly GA these days, I find myself having to consciously move my feet outward from the centers of the pedals to keep the insides of my shoe soles from rubbing together at the balls of my feet - that's how close together the pedals ACTUALLY are in the Cessna singles. The Thrustmaster pedals actually feel a bit roomier, probably because I'm not wearing shoes.

So, whether the spacing is a "problem" is obviously dependent on personal preference and whether you're trying to accurately simulate a specific type of aircraft. Sure, they're closer together than the pedals in a 737... which in turn are closer together than the pedals on most taildraggers, like a Stearman etc, because the legs need to be somewhat spread to allow for full stick travel.

I can't speak to the feel of the other sim pedals because I haven't used them, but the Thrustmaster pedals have one negative and one positive that stand out to me:

The negative: binding with brake application. The rudder operates very smoothly, more smoothly than I expected honestly, so 98% of the time they work great. Toe brake application / differential braking also operates smoothly through its entire range. BUT, when you try to operate the rudder function of the pedal WHILE holding toe brake pressure, the rudder binds somewhat. It's not unusable but is annoying. I find myself using differential braking for steering whenever I'm applying significant brake pressure, as it's easier than fighting the rudder. As many older aircraft actually need to be handled this way on landing rollout, I don't find it particularly unrealistic - it may not accurately replicate a particular airframe, but it's just like hopping between different aircraft in the real world - you just adjust to the feel of that plane, and fly how it needs to be flown. No biggie.

The positive - and this overcomes the negative for me: the Thrustmaster pedals seem to be the only (consumer - level priced)
    ones on the market that can be used the way you use pedals in a real plane - balls of your feet on bottom of pedal, heels on the floor at all times unless braking is needed, at which time you slide your feet up the pedals until your toes are on the brakes. This is kind of important and not just pedantic - you wouldn't want to be in the habit of taking off or landing with your toes on the brakes, because inevitably (especially in a crosswind) you will accidentally drag a brake, and that will eventually bite you, especially in a taildragger. All the other pedals I looked at appear to be designed to hold your entire foot at all times, which I know would feel pretty unnatural to me.

So anyway, that's just my take. Like anything else in the sim (or real life flying for that matter) we'll all have our own personal preferences. As there are no actual safety risks in the sim, there's no reason for anyone to do anything contrary to what they like!

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone for your helpful replies and opinions. I decided to go for the CH Pro pedals as so many seem to like them. The MFG's look very nice but they are more than I can justify spending (I have other hobby's as well!) so I'll have to give them a miss.
    Again thank you for your advise, it's much appreciated.

Ian

Members who have read this thread: 0