Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F-100d fw-000

F-100d fw-000

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

WOW! Outstanding work!
    Mike M.​

Yup.. lovely job Rick

I looked up the history of the now gone gate guard painted up as Triple Zilch and it went to the French after a comparatively short run the the USAF. Not sure how it ended up in the UK but that's immaterial now it's gone.

ATB
    DaveB

Awesome paintwork, would it be possible to make the painted parts look less metallic? I struggled with this in FSX-SE (P3D does not seem to handle this any better). One method I know to make the painted parts look like paint rather than metal is to make them white in the diffuse alpha, mid grey in the specular and white/light grey in the specular alpha. Dave Quincey did one like that (FW-986, 20th TFW RAF Wethersfield 1960's). This solves the metallic paint issue but unfortunately the paint gets very matted. I have not found a way to increase specularity for the painted parts without getting the metallic issue coming back.

It's not completely finished yet. Agreed. I noticed the same thing. There's a fine line between gettingit to look like a small amount of glossy paint and that of colored metal. I can bring the alpha down closer to white. The specular should interact better with it then. It really depends on the angle. Some angles it looks more matted than shown here. In fact some parts I still have to edit the alpha...the rescue arrows for example. And the instructions...need it. Thanks guys.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

You also need to check the shape of the lightning bolt on the fuselage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Yup.. lovely job Rick

I looked up the history of the now gone gate guard painted up as Triple Zilch and it went to the French after a comparatively short run the the USAF. Not sure how it ended up in the UK but that's immaterial now it's gone.

ATB
    DaveB
    I believe that a lot of USAF types were supplied under MDAP and the USAF retained ownership of them, effectively a loan deal for friendly air forces. When these aircraft were replaced by newer types they were returned to US control. I think RAF Sculthorpe was a storage area for many F-100s and t-33s and several decommissioned examples were donated to museums in the UK.

Ah.. I see a typo in that post now

Cheers HB. Makes sense
    ATB
    DaveB

Lovely job rick can not wait to take her up.

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    It's not completely finished yet. Agreed. I noticed the same thing. There's a fine line between gettingit to look like a small amount of glossy paint and that of colored metal. I can bring the alpha down closer to white. The specular should interact better with it then. It really depends on the angle. Some angles it looks more matted than shown here. In fact some parts I still have to edit the alpha...the rescue arrows for example. And the instructions...need it. Thanks guys.
    I reckon alpha white for paint always and get any gloss from the spec. Have used a hint of grey in the alpha occasionally but it's very easy to overcook it. Great paint as always Rick!!

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Ok, so I'm going to redo the fuselage Lighting bolts. I think I've got a bead on the true shape now. Sometimes you try to just do art...and get it wrong....I'll take some time and get it right. The insignia's need to be a bit bigger too. Thanks for the input guys!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Ever seen this, Rick?

https://www.facebook.com/GriffithMod...type=3&theater

Found on Facebook - Triple Zilch walkaround.

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Dave, THANK YOU! No, I've never seen these! Well, sorry gents...not releasing this weekend as hoped (unless I can pull off a miracle tonight). I will be reworking per these new photos. What a find Dave!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Blog Entries
    Mannnn...that is good Rick!!!

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Thanks Gordon and Dave! I've spent the time to completely redo the shape of the bolts and the 70th TFS insignia. Hand drawn (as best I could), from the photos and lack of color did my best to infer colors based on research and some deduction...hard to paint a detailed object with pixels and a mouse! Lol. Will post some screens asap.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Wow! What you artists are doing with polished metal now a days is just simply amazing! I do not as yet have this bird but with so many great renditions, I am leaning towards another purchase. I remember seeing some MO ANG F-100s back when I was a young kid at Scott AFB, so loud and so, ummm, rustic looking with their faded paint. They just looked menacing and seasoned.

Thanks for such a beautiful rendition though. Just absolutely stunning.
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Thanks! Here's the latest...in image viewer only. The Alpha still has to be made. The 79th TFS insignia used on tgis jet is no where to.be found on the net in the places I've looked...so I opted to hand paint the thing as best I could using the mouse! And resemble the one from the photos Dave posted above. These are the only clear pictures of this insignia vintage on the net that I've seen. If someone has a clear color image of the real deal, I'd be happy to replace mine with it. But overall I'm pleased.

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Thanks! Here's the latest...in image viewer only. The Alpha still has to be made. The 79th TFS insignia used on tgis jet is no where to.be found on the net in the places I've looked...so I opted to hand paint the thing as best I could using the mouse! And resemble the one from the photos Dave posted above. These are the only clear pictures of this insignia vintage on the net that I've seen. If someone has a clear color image of the real deal, I'd be happy to replace mine with it. But overall I'm pleased.

Very nice !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad you approve Dag! It'll be complete likely after work today. Alpha won't take long to do. Just 2 to do. I do need to add one more missing item; the warning label on the right fuselage printed on the lightning bolt about the emergency rescue being on the other side...
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Ok here's what will be the final version....need to add one more small item.

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

ok final version:

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Nice work you have done here.
    Looks awsome Rick

I think you've nailed it Rick. That's one fine paint

ATB
    DaveB

That is one hell of a job there rick.

Members who have read this thread: 0