Clear answers for a P3D noob

Thread: Clear answers for a P3D noob

Clear answers for a P3D noob

Hi guys,

(Sorry my english is not perfect)

I googled a lot but can't find really clear answer. Some say yes, some say no, some say maybe. I think seriously switch to P3d.

1- If they release P3d update, do i have to pay for every update? (v3,v4,v5,v6)

2- Does most FSX freeware will work on P3D? (I've got a lot of freeware)

3- If i've got V3 and they release V4, most of addons developers will update their product. Usually do i have to pay for those update? (v3 to v4 for example)

4- P3d is more stable than FSX or have more bug/problems?

5- If they release a V4 64bit version, we will have bugs/problems with purchased addons?

Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffv View Post
    Hi guys,

(Sorry my english is not perfect)

I googled a lot but can't find really clear answer. Some say yes, some say no, some say maybe. I think seriously switch to P3d.

1- If they release P3d update, do i have to pay for every update? (v3,v4,v5,v6)

2- Does most FSX freeware will work on P3D? (I've got a lot of freeware)

3- If i've got V3 and they release V4, most of addons developers will update their product. Usually do i have to pay for those update? (v3 to v4 for example)

4- P3d is more stable than FSX or have more bug/problems?

Thanks a lot.
    Hi, I'll try to make simple answers:

1- Yes, you have to pay for each new version. That means 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 etc... However, if you buy one version, then you get the updates for that version for free. For example, if you buy the version 3.0, then you will get 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 etc... for free.

2- Yes, most FSX freeware stuff work fine in P3D. There are very few exceptions, usually very old stuff you wouldn't want to use in P3D anyways.

3- It depends what the product creator decides. And this will depend on how "difficult" the convertion is. Planes might be difficult to convert, so I don't expect them to be updated for free at all. Sceneries are easier to convert (they might not even need any conversion...), so we will probably get free updates (new installer programs) for such addons.

4- Yes, P3D is more stable but it's not perfect. P3D can also crash. Usually it's because of "out of memory" (OOM) errors. P3D is superior to FSX graphically, so people tend to be too optimistic with the graphic settings, and this leads to more RAM used. And more RAM used lead to OOM crashes

EDIT: Anyways, I would really recommend you to WAIT before you buy any P3D version. The version 4 might become available soon (but honnestly, nobody really knows...). It is worth it to wait a few weeks/months and see what happens.

Daube,

Now its: CLEAR!

Thanks a lot my friend! Yeah i think i will wait for the V4. Good advice.

Agree with Daube on his comments. In regards to your question #5, that's a very good question. LM is being very secretive about how compatible V4 will be and exactly when it will be released, or really anything about V4. Given that they are defence contractors for many years, secrecy is in their DNA so we should not be surprised about that. Indications are that it will be out soon.

Ok, thanks Blanston.

Hey guys do you know the % of the Flight sim community who are now on P3d? Me, i think the most of community is on FSX. Its what i can see.

It's not insubstantial and it is growing. Many like you and I are probably holding out for V4 and watching to see how Dovetail manage their effort. I have V2 of P3D but still use FSX instead and never got around to getting V3, but it is too late in its lifespan when V4 is around the corner.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

My 2 pennies worth: I am holding out for V4 as it promises to begin improving FSX - not just fixing bugs. I am really looking forward to converting over my Underway! and Underway_Captain! programs to P3D v4.

From what I've seen, P3D users are much more serious about the flight dynamics and the *simulation* as opposed to the Flight(steam edition) group which are, I think, more of the casual users. I have been and always will be for all the realism possible - especially in the flight dynamics.

I know personally several people who have not bought P3D so far - waiting for the v4 improvements. So methinks there are a lot of folks waiting to buy it. Hopefully the wait will be worth it.
    "Being good is not enough when you dream of being great"
    Author of NEUWUC family of programs

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
    My 2 pennies worth: I am holding out for V4 as it promises to begin improving FSX - not just fixing bugs. I am really looking forward to converting over my Underway! and Underway_Captain! programs to P3D v4.
    An odd perspective since P3D began improving on FSX with Ver_2.

From what I've seen, P3D users are much more serious about the flight dynamics and the *simulation* as opposed to the Flight(steam edition) group which are, I think, more of the casual users. I have been and always will be for all the realism possible - especially in the flight dynamics.
    Again, a very odd perspective. . .There are thousands of very dedicated and serious users of FSX who work diligently to ensure that both freeware and payware aircraft flight dynamics are as real as possible. . .casual users? I think not!

I know personally several people who have not bought P3D so far-waiting for the V4 improvements. So me thinks there are a lot of folks waiting to buy it. Hopefully the wait will be worth it.
    I think several people have missed some amazing flying then. As far as V4 is concerned, the main thrust of that release is the move to 64bit processing, which I will not partake of until the "bugs" are worked out.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

After reading my second answer I feel it needs to be expanded a bit. More than just FSX or FSX/SE or even FS9, the combined membership around the world is such a diverse group that saying only P3D users are the serious lot does a grave injustice to those equally serious Simmers who fly the earlier versions of Microsoft Flight Simulator and who, for a myriad of reasons, do not fly P3D nor do they intend to. I would imagine that even within the P3D Community you would find the casual flyers, IMHO.

Current System Specs:

Ok I surrender. I *am* a serious flyer myself - still using FSX acceleration. Didn't mean to denigrate any whole group. My own Underway! and Underway_Captain! program are based on FSX and so all of my own users right now are still using FSX - and they are quite serious about realism.

Maybe I'm unrealistic concerning the Steam edition folks - I just think that Lockheed-Martin and their decision to make P3D the entire virtual world will only enhance dramatically my software, whereas Steam seems to be not going in the simulation mode so much. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm betting on P3D as an entire simulation package. If I'm wrong I'll find out real quick when I get v4.

From an "outsider" point of view I have watched with curiosity as P3D has evolved and with their rather strange licensing I have been reluctant to make the jump... but the move to 64 bit and (from what I've read) improvements, it's probably time for me to make the move at v4. Maybe I should have jumped at v3, but it's too late now.

Blog Entries
    If I may offer one or two observations.

For the pilot considering P3D v4, and whom have not flown the previous versions, the transition to 64bit will be a major improvement and adjustment. The arguments about the previous version all have merit, but in the long picture the comparisons of P3D to FSX have diverged as we went from P3D2 through the current revision.

IMO:

The difference between FSX and P3D are quite dramatic, yet very subtle. Those improvements cover much, much more than fixing a few bugs. When compared side by side, FSX and P3D are dramatically different simulators and should be considered two entirely different approaches to flight simulation. That said, they are both severely hampered by their 32 bit limitations when compared to other simulation platforms.

For the FSX pilot, the simulator is quite capable of delivering an experience that requires a high degree of proficiency in all aspects of flight. The same can be said for P3D. Simulator pilots, whether serious or casual, can satisfy their requirements for technical skill in either simulator.

For the pilot considering P3D v4.

Number one...forget about the ambiguous licensing debates. The options are available for anyone to get into the platform without any problems.

Moving to 64 bit.

There will be numerous small glitches as LM and the third party developers migrate to the new platform. On that front, LM and the developers have a wealth of experience to draw from, so I would anticipate that the transition will go fairly smoothly.
    Updates, hot fixes and other tweaks will be made available "on the fly", so be prepared to make adjustments as these fixes come available.

If you are looking for a turn key deal that you can hang your hat on and forget it, wait until the platform has achieved a level of development that satisfies your needs. I have done the monthly rental since P3Dv2 for this reason.

The most important consideration is performance. 64 bit is going to remove the governor from a very high performance engine. Your hardware will breathe as it is intended and will integrate with the software as the designers intended.

At this stage, simulator pilots now have the options to choose the platform that suits them best. The option of moving into 64 bit is, for me, very attractive after years of trying to squeeze every tiny bit of horsepower from FSX, FSX SE and P3D.

The most important thing to bear in mind...

It's a process.
    Last edited by gman5250; May 21st, 2017 at 09:39.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

It is a never ending story. There is always a newer version coming. I know v4 will be a big step forward but after the release we will wait for the v4.1 in order to have an even better sim and after that v4.2 ...

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm betting on P3D as an entire simulation package.
    Wizard, can you elaborate? What isn't present in FSX that keeps it from being "an entire Simulation Package", and what are you expecting from P3D that will fill that "void"?

Current System Specs:

Hi Falcon409 -

In answer to your question - there are numerous problems in the SimConnect libraries to start. I am hoping that one will be able to land and taxi on a moving carrier (or other helicopter type ship)... right now in FSX I have written a kludge - which works but it is really ugly. True depth of ocean is another I am looking forward to. Again, I have a kludge for doing it but, it too, isn't very pretty... well it is aesthetically - but not programming wise. Ocean depth and movement in water have also been my bane in X-Plane, although not to the extent of FSX. Still that's another kludge I had to come up with to move ships with some sort of reasonable motion (yes, it can be done using ai, but not other player platforms - at least not that I found). Still, in FSX it works pretty well and an outside observer can hardly tell what's really happening under the hood. But I can - and it bothers me that it's a kludge.

I am hoping as LM goes forward with their simulation of the world it will be easier to integrate vehicles as both "Misc" objects and "aircraft". Here again is kludge I had to write - two copies of platforms - 1 for the pilot and 1 for what the pilot sees. It would be nice if it was integrated so that there would only be one.

Now, believe me, I'm not saying this wasn't done in current or earlier version of P3D. Maybe these problems have been fixed. I don't know... which is why I'm salivating to get v4. I know most of my users are also *finally* ready to make the transition. I guess, those that don't want to upgrade to P3Dv4 will have to be left behind as I left the FS9 folks. I just couldn't do all the wonderful things I did with FSX (aka SimConnect) in FS9.

For a 17 year old flight sim FSX has remained relevant remarkably well. I know I got my money's worth out of it.

And ********: Oh you tease! Thank you for your input as well. You are saying what I am hoping will come true.

One quick question though - and we're getting off topic here - did P3D bring back the reference and checklist like FS9 - where you could add pages using html to the "online manuals"? That is, perhaps, the one thing I miss most about FS9.

Cheers!

Hi Falcon409 -

In answer to your question - there are numerous problems in the SimConnect libraries to start. I am hoping that one will be able to land and taxi on a moving carrier (or other helicopter type ship)... right now in FSX I have written a kludge - which works but it is really ugly. True depth of ocean is another I am looking forward to. Again, I have a kludge for doing it but, it too, isn't very pretty... well it is aesthetically - but not programming wise. Ocean depth and movement in water have also been my bane in X-Plane, although not to the extent of FSX. Still that's another kludge I had to come up with to move ships with some sort of reasonable motion (yes, it can be done using ai, but not other player platforms - at least not that I found). Still, in FSX it works pretty well and an outside observer can hardly tell what's really happening under the hood. But I can - and it bothers me that it's a kludge.

I am hoping as LM goes forward with their simulation of the world it will be easier to integrate vehicles as both "Misc" objects and "aircraft". Here again is kludge I had to write - two copies of platforms - 1 for the pilot and 1 for what the pilot sees. It would be nice if it was integrated so that there would only be one.

Now, believe me, I'm not saying this wasn't done in current or earlier version of P3D. Maybe these problems have been fixed. I don't know... which is why I'm salivating to get v4. I know most of my users are also *finally* ready to make the transition. I guess, those that don't want to upgrade to P3Dv4 will have to be left behind as I left the FS9 folks. I just couldn't do all the wonderful things I did with FSX (aka SimConnect) in FS9.

For a 17 year old flight sim FSX has remained relevant remarkably well. I know I got my money's worth out of it.

And ********: Oh you tease! Thank you for your input as well. You are saying what I am hoping will come true.

One quick question though - and we're getting off topic here - did P3D bring back the reference and checklist like FS9 - where you could add pages using html to the "online manuals"? That is, perhaps, the one thing I miss most about FS9.

Cheers!
    Your answer tells me you are far more serious than I would ever be about Flight Sim. More power to ya.

Current System Specs:

Members +
    We, those with older hardware, I've a 5 year old i5 4GB RAM laptop, DX10, that cannot run anything higher than P3Dv1.4, look with envy to those that can run these new 64bit sims.
    We are certainly not lessor simmers that those that can 'fly' these 64bit sims.

Yes, there is now better eye candy, scenery etc, but, flight models are still, with exceptions, much the same.
    Some of us 'oldies' have stopped searching for the Holy Grail, & still have a heap load of fun with what we have, still supported by both freeware & payware developers.

Remember, enjoy what you have, or will have, & our hobby is all about Fact, Fiction & Fun!

Members who have read this thread: 0