Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

The only thing I don't like about the concept is lack of depth perception due to the 2D displays. If it could be done with a VR headset, I think it would be better. Once that's done, you'll need multiple redundancies on both ends.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Testing has been ongoing since about 2009. Saab is the featured developer in the BBC article but there are others working on remote virtual towers including a Canadian company that has been acquired by NavCanada. The Saab system was tested in Leesburg VA in 2015 https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...inia/74616164/ and is still apparently in the cards for Fort Collins, CO.

Tom, I understand your question about depth perception, but since most of that comes from knowledge and processing data (binocular vision only works in a very short range) the potential problems in that area are quite small. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_perception

Interestingly, many countries are using essentially the same type of systems for ATC training so it's not that big a step, except in the public eye.

Regarding redundancy, that's a no-brainer. In the LCC instance there are triple fiber-optic data lines on separate routes, and a lot of ATS data and comms are remoted already.
    Also, LCC is a single-runway operation in a highly structured airspace so it's a relatively 'simple' operation.

Looking at it through the eyes of a controller who spent 30 years in various towers, I can see operations that will be straight-forward, and others where it would be difficult, or not as practical as on-site humans. Local weather, sight-lines and all sorts of other issues will determine where and when such an idea would be functional, but perhaps the biggest obstacle will be the perceptions of those who have never done the job. Factor in the relatively large cost benefits and I see it as a way to provide service that might otherwise be reduced, lost entirely or never implemented. Consider that the tendency today is for no one wanting to pay for anything, a system that can potentially provide minor reductions vs. major gains in available ATC, looks like a viable idea.

I'd sure like the idea of living and working in a lower cost, less remote site than some of the places I got to visit in my career ( and that might be another benefit - retention of controllers who quit because they are stuck in some over-priced, or unpleasant location.).

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by thefrog View Post
    Do we think this is a good idea?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39960993

Vatsim's been doing it like that for years...

Members who have read this thread: 0