First reviews?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First reviews?

First reviews?

For sure, its a Alpha but many poor opinions on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/38...p_reviews_hash
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/38...ght_Sim_World/

(till now ).

I haven't it... yet or not yet, I'll wait.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I'm uploading a video to YouTube of my first flight ATM, I'l link it here when its done.

I don't know whats up with some of the reported frame rates, as you'll see I was getting a fairly steady 30 over central London with everything maxed.

Its very obviously a tweaked FSX, file structure and everything is identical.
    It has a very noticeable ring around your view where the autogen ends although that may be tweakable in the FSW.cfg which looks the same as the FSX.cfg.
    At least it doesn't have the awful atmospherics that Flight School had.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Here you go, Enjoy.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    I am saddened by people who think this is a finished product and then trash it. Does anyone remember fsx when it first came out?
    this is a chance for the community to support a new 64 bit sim and provide feedback to what we want to see. This is the first stage of development and I will support it. At the asking price, it's cheap. Just ask yourself what addons can you get for fsx/P3D for $24.95.

will purchase tonight and will not be asking for a refund. Just my 50 cents worth.

Bob

Thanks a lot for that video, I just started watching it.
    My guess is the new graphic engine (well, I mean "the new DirectX requirements") implies some changes in our typical graphic card driver profiles.
    I mean, surely FSW requires different AA, AF, behavior flags, etc... than the old FSX (or even P3D, who knows?...).

The video was interesting. I noticed two things in particular about the autogen:
    - Toward the end, when landing, it seems the autogen display distance is reducing alongside with the altitude. Is that normal ?
    - When looking closely to the autogen in general, it seems there is some sort of ambiant occlusion cast on it... like the buildings are darker next to the ground, and nearby tress make them darker as well. It didn't look like the simple autogen cast shadow like in P3D. It really looks like ambiant occlusion. What do you think ?

Not a finished product by any means, and should not be formally "reviewed" as such.
    Frankly I am not impressed by "how much" DTG has done so far (meaning that I hoped they had completed more features), but I AM impressed by the quality of the work - all of the aircrafts I tested are really good and the performance on my system is pretty good too.
    Definitely a good and promising start IMHO.

And for those who haven't tried it yet or are thinking about trying it :

https://youtu.be/fXdaocuvniY

Courtesy of Novawing24.

Cheers

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Cattaneo View Post
    Not a finished product by any means, and should not be formally "reviewed" as such.
    Frankly I am not impressed by "how much" DTG has done so far (meaning that I hoped they had completed more features), but I AM impressed by the quality of the work - all of the aircrafts I tested are really good and the performance on my system is pretty good too.
    Definitely a good and promising start IMHO.
    Says it all. I like it. A good start.

Cees

The Fsw.cfg can be found here: "C:\Users\Your Name\AppData\Roaming\Dovetail Games" (Win 7) and I have already upped the lod from 3.5 to 5.5 which seems to improve the draw distance.
    Daylight flying does render a too bright landscape so I set my time to one hour before dusk. The rain effect on the cockpit screens is a triumph and my frame rates are acceptible at an average 30. There is a little tearing, even in full screen when panning around in spot view so I need to find a way to lock frame rates to rectify Vsync issues, maybe there will be an Nvidia Inspector page for FsW?
    I also hope they will instigate a true Spot view and although one is shown it is really another locked spot. Scenery-wise I need to be able to add my favorite ORBX airports as the big let down are all those stock FsX runways and buildings.

Overall as a beta it shows great possibilities and as I got if for free I am not that disappointed.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Those are brutal reviews. If it survives to an actual release I'll be surprised.

Here's one that really caught the emotion this guy was feeling:

"What The Developers Say: “The current flight sim space is a fountain of experience and expertise, and Early Access is our way of drawing upon that knowledge to make Flight Sim World the best it can be."

What They Are Actually Doing: Locking out all prior content. None of your most beloved FSX-SE content can be used to jumpstart your "best it can be" FSW experience. FSUIPC doesn't work. FSX planes have no place to show up in the menu (but FSW planes DO show up in the menu in FSX-SE - though the model is invisible).

Dovetail is throwing out every scrap of content you've ever purchased or downloaded for FSX and FSX-SE over the years, and are blindly hoping that you'll patiently wait to spend $6000 on DLC, the same as RailSimulator, from the vendors they have lined up."

I must admit, I was secretly thinking despite all my rants that this would be the one...just not sure I can do it all again with all the tweaking and configuring etc.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Well Rick, I can see that your not impressed but let's give it time and in a few months we can then decide whether it will stay on our hard drives.
    SYSTEM :
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler

Look, for all my nonsense, I do have to give DTG credit for ABSOLUTELY stating clearly in no uncertain terms, that this is a beta. I felt they were very forthcoming and transparent regarding that detail.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Remind me to never get in a plane with this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnjsQIou-3o
    Almost have to wonder if the competition made that video!

Something I also notice is that under load, my pc runs much cooler than FsX.
    SYSTEM :

i think its pretty good i like it though it needs some more work still
    Thursday, November 27 2014 I Lost My Best Friend My Uncle! He Was Amazing person He was a volunteer For Las Vegas metro Police he will be missed, I Volunteer with him Many Times With LVMPD And USFS

THOMAS CURTIS
    Thursday Nov 27th 2014

==Punisher of Arizona == Thin Blue Line

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    The video was interesting. I noticed two things in particular about the autogen:
    - Toward the end, when landing, it seems the autogen display distance is reducing alongside with the altitude. Is that normal ?
    - When looking closely to the autogen in general, it seems there is some sort of ambiant occlusion cast on it... like the buildings are darker next to the ground, and nearby tress make them darker as well. It didn't look like the simple autogen cast shadow like in P3D. It really looks like ambiant occlusion. What do you think ?
    Yes, that's true, Daube, and most probabely the reason why the scenery looks a bit odd atm. You can see ambient occlusion very well when flying low over a big city, just above a layer of fog or haze ( i was too surprised and focussed on this phenomenon to take a screenshot... ;-) Every color is washed away, all that remains are shades of white clearly displaying ambient occlusion. Good chance this is going to look quite wonderful once the devs have put some more work into it. I'll try a screenshot next time.

For information, on the french forum somebody already managed to import some FSX scenery into FSW, simply by using scenery config editor.
    The scenery is a photoreal region with mesh and autogen.
    EDIt: ah, he also imported a plane from FSX, although the gauges couldn't work because they were made for P3D, or something like that. But the plane and the cockpit were showing well
    EDIT2: I didn't see the topic by Cirrus, sorry, he was faster

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    I was getting a fairly steady 30 over central London with everything maxed
    Same here! I took a flight downtown from RAF Northolt and got 25-33 FPS, mostly hovering around 30 FPS. No fuss, no drama, just LOADS of autogen with good, steady frame rates.

This is a great start IMO!

Happy and excited for the future...

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

I'm just thinking about the current "limited" content, which might explain the relatively good FPS.
    For example, is there any AI traffic at the moment ?
    Approaching London airport(s) when empty or full of AI planes makes a huge difference in FSX and P3D.

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    I'm just thinking about the current "limited" content, which might explain the relatively good FPS.
    For example, is there any AI traffic at the moment ?
    Approaching London airport(s) when empty or full of AI planes makes a huge difference in FSX and P3D.
    That is a fair point! I did have AI traffic, but few and far between (limited to GA it seemed to me).

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

FSX planes can work in it but you have to add some extra things to the fltsim entries in the aircraft cfg.
    -JB

My Saitek panels don't work with this sim. The yoke does, and the rudder pedals, and the trimwheel, but not the switching panel, the radio panel or the instrument panels.

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by Naruto-kun View Post
    FSX planes can work in it but you have to add some extra things to the fltsim entries in the aircraft cfg.

got it working
    Thursday, November 27 2014 I Lost My Best Friend My Uncle! He Was Amazing person He was a volunteer For Las Vegas metro Police he will be missed, I Volunteer with him Many Times With LVMPD And USFS

THOMAS CURTIS
    Thursday Nov 27th 2014

==Punisher of Arizona == Thin Blue Line

It's that silly ring where autogen turns into blurry vague suggestions of landscape that kills it for me. That's about as far from what one really sees when flying as you can get.

It was free for me, and I downloaded it on my fast internet connection at work yesterday, so I'll try it out today. But if they don't fix that silly ring, I'll have no interest in keeping it.

Members who have read this thread: 0