In your opinion SimWorks Studios F-4 or Milviz F-4 ?

Thread: In your opinion SimWorks Studios F-4 or Milviz F-4 ?

In your opinion SimWorks Studios F-4 or Milviz F-4 ?

Dear friends,

I didnīt see any review about SimWorks Studios F-4B/N Phantom II ,Iīve just read the thread here but almost 99.8% posts were about Beta phase, so in your opinion, the best choice of a good (realistic) F-4 would be Milviz F-4 or SimWorks?

I thank you in advance,

Hamilton

It is really personal preference. I prefer the B model from Simworks myself, but others that I fly with prefer the E model from Milviz. It is really an "Apples and Oranges" kind of deal as the B and E models of the Phantom were completely different aircraft in systems, interiors, and uses.

I have both...
    In my humble opinion.. Sim Works..
    Why? Because the Milviz J/S isn't Tack Pack capable.. and be honest.. I've had a load of crashes with the current Milviz build..(and previous builds too).

I just checked the SimWorks YouTube demo. I already have the Milviz F-4E and F-4J. From what I see in the demo I do prefer Milviz's surface texturing with all the surface irregularities in the skin and I think their VC looks better. It also sounds great! (It is also now TacPac enabled for those who want it.) That said, I'll probably still pick up the SimWorks simply because it is an early model with the skinny wing and short nozzles of the early J-79 engines! (They are the versions which produced the loudest J-79 "howl"! Hopefully included in the soundset!) I haven't seen or gotten anything from SimWorks as I haven't heard of them, but now I'm off to look into their offerings (and probably pick up the B)!

SOH-CM-2023
    Benton IL. U.S.A. Ilive in country with 70 acres.

Phantom

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Patterson View Post
    I just checked the SimWorks YouTube demo. I already have the Milviz F-4E and F-4J. From what I see in the demo I do prefer Milviz's surface texturing with all the surface irregularities in the skin and I think their VC looks better. It also sounds great! (It is also now TacPac enabled for those who want it.) That said, I'll probably still pick up the SimWorks simply because it is an early model with the skinny wing and short nozzles of the early J-79 engines! (They are the versions which produced the loudest J-79 "howl"! Hopefully included in the soundset!) I haven't seen or gotten anything from SimWorks as I haven't heard of them, but now I'm off to look into their offerings (and probably pick up the B)!
    Sir, it is my opinion the old Cloud 9 Phantom rebuilt on this site is better, for one reason it looks real , and fly's the best. That is my opinion , I'm old but was close to the real Phantom when they ruled the sky. Thanks to the members here the Cloud 9 Phantom fly's on! Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Mumbower View Post
    Sir, it is my opinion the old Cloud 9 Phantom rebuilt on this site is better, for one reason it looks real , and fly's the best. That is my opinion , I'm old but was close to the real Phantom when they ruled the sky. Thanks to the members here the Cloud 9 Phantom fly's on! Lee
    Pardon Sir,I didnīt understand,what did you mean by "the old Cloud 9 Phantom rebuilt on this site"? As far I know the Cloud 9 Phantom is FS9 only... Sorry,Iīm old too maybe I missed something...

Regards,

Hamilton

SOH-CM-2023

Phantom

Sir, some time back the Cloud 9 Phantom was made over to work perfect in FSX by the good people on this site,. It is my opinion you cannot buy a better looking or flying Phantom then what the folks on this site made, It doesn't get any better than this. I have 164 different Cloud 9 versions in my F4 Phantom file thanks to my great friend's help. Phantom's never die, they just fade away, Thanks again to all on this great site who made this old man's life a lot better. Lee

Thank you Mr Lee,I found the post (thread) here about Cloud9 Phantom and FSX.

Rgds,

Hamilton

Sir, some time back the Cloud 9 Phantom was made over to work perfect in FSX by the good people on this site,. It is my opinion you cannot buy a better looking or flying Phantom then what the folks on this site made, It doesn't get any better than this. I have 164 different Cloud 9 versions in my F4 Phantom file thanks to my great friend's help. Phantom's never die, they just fade away, Thanks again to all on this great site who made this old man's life a lot better. Lee
    It's true, I love that version of Phantom too!!!!

Phantom's never die, they just fade away
    I thought I was feeling a bit faded lately

Have fun all!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

I wish I could sample the Cloud 9 Phantom to see for myself, but unfortunately they're gone. I would've liked to have their G.91 as well. I looks like SSW is getting one together though, so hopefully soon on the FIAT. How to I find the Cloud 9 Phantom here? (I'm only on FSX BTW, although I've found a fair number of FS9 title still work fine in FSX.)

SOH-CM-2023

Phantom

I also have the Lago/Cloud 9 G91Gina, it is another great plane. It come out with a funny looking pilot but latter on pilot was changed to look real, I don't know when or how that happened. I have 51 different textures for the G91's all look real and fly perfect. I also added guns with sound .If you have the Cloud 9Phantom the Cloud 9 Gina and the great Section 8 Sabre of which I have 129 different textures , thanks to the help of my great friend, you can stay up all night and fly fly fly and forget your a old man. Lee

SOH-CM-2023

Phantom

I forgot to tell you I was told by SSW they hoped to have there G91 Gina out by Sep. I know there Gina will be great! They do good work. I hope I make it to Sep. to see it, as you know time is not a friend of a old man. Lee

Mr Lee,do you have/fly Milviz F-4 or Simworks F-4 in P3D? Hamilton

SOH-CM-2023

Phantom

I have the Milviz Phantom, I think it flies like a log on my Windows 8, compared to the Cloud 9. That may be because I'm on Windows 8, and it is not supported on windows 8. I passed on the Simworks because of Tac Pac., I also have several different rebuilds of the Virtavia F4 with a lot of textures, all the Virtavia are reworked to fly perfect in FSX Love the Phantom . Lee

I have the Milviz Phantom, I think it flies like a log on my Windows 8, compared to the Cloud 9. That may be because I'm on Windows 8, and it is not supported on windows 8. I passed on the Simworks because of Tac Pac., I also have several different rebuilds of the Virtavia F4 with a lot of textures, all the Virtavia are reworked to fly perfect in FSX Love the Phantom . Lee
    Ok , thanks!

I have both the latest version of the Simworks F-4B/N and the Milviz F4-J/S. Both are really good add-ons but have different goals or focus.

The SimWorks is more a "traditional" FSX aircraft add-on with very good weapons simulation, including TacPack and a strong focus on modeling the cockpit of the F-4B.

The Milviz is an F4-J/S and has more "technology" in the flight modeling, animations and system simulation. However, it is not at this time TacPack enabled and the weapons systems are not simulated to a great degree.

Modeling/textures is some better on the Milviz and the flight model is as close to the real world manuals as I have ever tested. The SimWorks is better on FPS and has a better selection of re-paints.

If you want to simulate an F-4B/N with good weapons then the SimWorks is your bet. If you want the most accurate flight model of F4-J/S and not worried about TacPack right now, then go with the Milviz. Note that the Phantom was a handful to fly at slow speeds and the Milviz models this very accurately.

Regards the Cloud9 model, I have it too. It is a beautiful model but the flight dynamics are not very realistic handling.

Finally there is a 4th option for you and that is the Milviz F4-E, the U.S. Air Force version of the Phantom. It is TacPack enabled too.

Hope this helps.

I have both. But after experiencing continual problems just installing the latest Milviz Phantom update. Won't start. Crashes FSX SE. Just one frustrating problem after another. Am about to the point of uninstalling and giving up. NC

Both of these are loaded in P3D V3 & V4 (the SWS F-4 v4 will release soon). I agree with the above statement, it's like comparing apples and oranges. Since they are both warbirds, I have them tacpacked. I like them both. The F-4D/E are the ones I'm most familiar with from my time in the USAF (I have time in the F-4D cockpit procedures trainer). Since there is some similarity, if I'm not mistaken, the SWS phantom uses a joint Milviz/SWS radar DLL, and the Milviz lighting gauge. Which is pretty neat considering that both companies collaborated to produce the SWS phantom.

All that being said, it depends on which aircraft I want to fly, earlier phantoms - SWS, later phantoms Milviz.

I also have the Cloud 9 and Alpahsim Phantoms; the former will not work in either version of P3D (at least I haven't been able to figure out how to do it in V3), the later will only work in P3D V3.
    Very Respectfully,

Jim 'Doc' Johnson, SMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Fac Fortia Et Patere

Well, I just picked up the SWS F-4B. Good points. The surface detailing is subtle with minimal weathering. (It actually looks pretty plain until you angle your view and the sun hits the skin so you can see the depressions in the skin from the rows of rivets!) The loadout editor is very nice as you have your choice of three or six point MERs on stations that would use them. Milviz's is just a drag-n-drop. (Put bombs here.) The flight model seems very similar to Milviz's except during slow flight. If you get too slow it will start to roll but a little power and correct rudder input will get you out. (This is similar to the F-100 where under the same conditions using aileron to correct the roll only exacerbates the problem.) I haven't actually done a flight off of the Midway yet, but I did mess about with the configurator. Quite a few options there! Open or closed hangar doors, elevator position, parking options and full control over deck lighting (and individual lights in the cockpit) if you have a video card with DX10. (Which I do not so I can only control the spots.) For me the main weak spot is the sound set. It just sounds a little plain. I may swap the sounds out with the Milviz Phantom (or SSW's F-104 which includes a nice loud J79 howl that would be appropriate for an early Phantom with the short burner petals). The VC also doesn't have the same level of detail as the Milviz offering. (Although everything seems to be in place and operational.) The main panel that the instruments rest in is a little blah and the instruments themselves don't have the nice 3D look that Milviz's have. I can't vouch for anything requiring TacPac as I haven't gotten it yet, but both models are now able to use it. I have to agree with DocJohnson though. I does just depend on which version you want to fly. Early or late. I myself do like them both, but I lean in favor of the Milviz bird as far as getting the feeling of "being there" when in the VC.

Not sure if it's only me but I have both a faulty aircraft and Coral Sea and a promised new installer to fix bugs/known issues has not materialized. No aircraft on the deck and the plane won't trap. Some components "xml tools" are also missing despite several reinstalls.

Quite unusual and unsatisfactory. Are others in v4 having the same problems?
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Members who have read this thread: 1