Carrier landings gone away - please help!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrier landings gone away - please help!

Carrier landings gone away - please help!

I've just made 8 straight Go Arounds trying to catch the wire on Javier's Nimitz in the F-18 Hornet (FSXBA) and failed each time. Then I tried in the default F-18 and failed 4 times.
    I know that for about 7 or 8 of those times I nailed speed, AOA, positioning, etc. I know the tail hook was down and all was set up.

Catching the wire used to be easy - well, not easy but I could do it 90% time.

What has gone wrong?

The only thing in the sim that has changed is I've installed Tacpack.

Please help - or I'm going to get wet!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Ganter View Post
    I've just made 8 straight Go Arounds trying to catch the wire on Javier's Nimitz in the F-18 Hornet (FSXBA) and failed each time. Then I tried in the default F-18 and failed 4 times.
    I know that for about 7 or 8 of those times I nailed speed, AOA, positioning, etc. I know the tail hook was down and all was set up.

Catching the wire used to be easy - well, not easy but I could do it 90% time.

What has gone wrong?

The only thing in the sim that has changed is I've installed Tacpack.

Please help - or I'm going to get wet!

Jim
    You've lost your mojo Jim

Are you calling the carrier in TacPack? Seems odd that after installing TP, your wires have been cut. Try trapping again with TP disabled and call the carrier with AIC. While not very scientific.. it may help nail down the problem.
    ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    You've lost your mojo Jim

Are you calling the carrier in TacPack? Seems odd that after installing TP, your wires have been cut. Try trapping again with TP disabled and call the carrier with AIC. While not very scientific.. it may help nail down the problem.
    ATB
    DaveB
    Definitely lost my mojo with this one. I've got Tacpack configured to ask if it should run each time I start the sim as my other job is flying an A320X for a V airline. Tried it running and not running. Results? Aaaaahhh!

I wonder if I've been doing too much VTOL in Harriers and F-35Bs' recently. (looks away sheepishly)

Definitely something wrong here.

I've just had another go - 5 attempts - 5 bolters!

I instant replayed and (although you can't see the Nimitz when you do) aircraft was on speed, AOA, tail hook down and...

Losing the will to live here.

Unless Tacpack has "changed" the Nimitz in some way I just don't get it.

Please help.

TP may well do something mate. When I tried Nimitz in TP (when I first got it).. the deck was see-thru. Most unnerving I don't use it (TP) for carrier ops now. Lots of folk DO though so lets hope one of 'em comes up with something meaningful

ATB
    DaveB

Might be a dumb question, but do you have acceleration installed? You didn't mention which platform you're using
    Three great things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life where you get to experience all three at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    Might be a dumb question, but do you have acceleration installed? You didn't mention which platform you're using

Definitely not a dumb question Sir. Thank you for your response.

Yes, I do. FSX SP2 with Acceleration.

I have been making Carrier Trap landings on Javier's excellent U.S.S. Nimitz for a few months now and it's only in the last few days that it's all gone wrong.
    Tacpack is the only thing I've installed recently - apart from Dino's wonderful F-35.

I'm at a loss to understand this one.
    Any help gratefully received.

Jim

Have you tried UN installing TacPac, not just telling it not to run?
    If it's the only thing you've added, it seems to me it's done something, either to the boat or to you plane(s).
    Have you tried using the default carrier with AICarriers instead of Javier's?
    Are you using AICarriers.NET or the original, Java based version? I strongly recommend using the .NET version. It's much more stable, and uses far fewer computer resources. Better overall. Functionally, and visually, identical.
    Have you tried the FSDT v16.1 Hornet instead of the default Hornet? I tell you true, once you fly that plane you'll never go back. Just so you know, BTW, the v16.1 Hornet is a very, VERY advanced version of the default bird. Same people developed the default for FSX Accel as created this amazing Hornet. Well worth a try, and it's TacPac capable, just so you know.

Just throwing out ideas, to see if anything might stick...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Thanks for all that info Phantom,

I'll uninstall Tacpack first and see what that does.
    I'm using AICarriers - the java version. I will swap over to the .NET immediately.

I am using the FS (sludge) F-18 - it is amazing! The only issue I have with it is an un-commanded wild pitch up on slowing to 250 kias, gear down. I hadn't noticed it before and although I'm trimming to get the bird into level aspect prior to recovery I wonder if it's related somehow to failing to get the hook every time.

Weird things going on in the sim. IT GETS SOLVED, TODAY!

Wait, just re-read - there seem to be two F-18's the "sludge" one and the Jimi's one?
    I have Jimi's one - the "sludge" one doesn't have working links anymore.

I tried that FSDT Hornet a while back and to be honest, there's little difference in the way it flies to the VRS Superbug. The VRS model is one hell of a piece of kit but if you don't fancy forking out.. the FSDT model is a VERY good second

One word with the .NET version of AIC. Unless you really want it to start every time the sim starts.. don't bother with the exe.xml entry. I know it has a smaller footprint than the Java version but if you don't need it.. why have it running. Just make a shortcut to the exe on your desktop and start it when you want. IF you're fiddling with something which requires you going into and out of FSX, the NET version can hang.. that is, not close down. You'll know it's happened when you next start the sim and it's jittery as hell. Easy to fix though. It'll be sitting open in the sys tray so just close it down from there.

ATB
    DaveB

I tried that FSDT Hornet a while back and to be honest, there's little difference in the way it flies to the VRS Superbug. The VRS model is one hell of a piece of kit but if you don't fancy forking out.. the FSDT model is a VERY good second

One word with the .NET version of AIC. Unless you really want it to start every time the sim starts.. don't bother with the exe.xml entry. I know it has a smaller footprint than the Java version but if you don't need it.. why have it running. Just make a shortcut to the exe on your desktop and start it when you want. IF you're fiddling with something which requires you going into and out of FSX, the NET version can hang.. that is, not close down. You'll know it's happened when you next start the sim and it's jittery as hell. Easy to fix though. It'll be sitting open in the sys tray so just close it down from there.

ATB
    DaveB

Thanks for this Dave,

I've had a look and yep, I've got the FSDT Hornet - not the sludge -which seems a little dated now.
    I am currently at Lee On Solent (Orbx England) about to take off in it and nail some landings out in the channel.

Wish me luck.

Rgr that

Do you have any of the Flying Stations 'Victorious' carriers? If not, look here.. http://www.flyingstations.com/

Victorious is a LOT smaller than Nimitz but don't let that put you off

EDIT: Look here for some great French carriers and a lot of other great stuff besides: http://royalefrenchnavy.restauravia....-Creations.htm
    ATB
    DaveB

Rgr that

Do you have any of the Flying Stations 'Victorious' carriers? If not, look here.. http://www.flyingstations.com/

Victorious is a LOT smaller than Nimitz but don't let that put you off

EDIT: Look here for some great French carriers and a lot of other great stuff besides: http://royalefrenchnavy.restauravia....-Creations.htm
    ATB
    DaveB
    I'll have a look at this Dave,

I do have Ark Royal on which I base my Harrier operations.

I've reloaded Nimitz and AICarriers - so will have a look at that.

Cheers,

Jim

Yup.. get the original problem sorted first then add to your fleet later Victorious '59(60) is modelled and textured to a much improved standard than poor old Ark IV and the 64/66 Victorious is better still so DO check them out

TBH.. I can't see how TP would modify your existing models and if you have it set to 'Prompt'.. saying NO when FSX asks if you want to load the TP dll should be as good as not having it there in the first place but I agree that if everything was fine before you installed TP.. then uninstalling it is worth a try.
    ATB
    DaveB

I am at my wits end.

I spawned aboard Nimitz with the FSXBA Hornet and the Cats are working and the wires are present.

I think your very first observation is true Dave:

I have, indeed lost my mojo.

It HAS been a long time since I tried these landings as I've been flying the Harrier and F-35 a lot. I will report back after dong some low/ slow training for the next few hours.

Jim..

Well.. that's something Try trapping with something a little less testing than the Hornet just to make sure
    ATB
    DaveB

I haven't got anything else with a hook...

What would you suggest?

Jim

Edit: Okay - got it!

[tailhook]
    tailhook_length=4.5
    tailhook_position=-49.0, 0, -2.5
    [launch_assistance]
    launch_bar_pivot=0.90, 0.00, -0.09
    launch_bar_lug=0.90, 0.00, -4.09

Jim..

Go to Rob Richardson's site.. http://www.robertjamesrichardson.co.uk/index.html

His Gannet AEW3, Scimitar and Sea Hawk are a good place to start

ATB
    DaveB

CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES!!!

Aboard after trapping...

Reinstalling the FSXBA Hornet did the trick. Or maybe I just got my mojo back Dave.

upload gifs

adult image host
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4336.jpg   IMG_4336.jpg  

Good stuff. Now.. all you need is something smaller to aim at:

ATB
    DaveB:-)

continued...

ATB
    DaveB:-)

That's more like it - the old grey funnel line.

I have R07 as part of my fleet with AICarriers for Harrier ops.
    Would love Illustrious.
    Is that a Sea Vampire ops off Victorious? - if so where did you get it? - edit: Sea Vixen!

Looking forward to F-35B ops off QEII as well.

I nearly fell off my seat then. Sea Vampire indeed

Yup.. it's the Skysim Sea Vixen which is sadly no longer available. Flying Stations (Skippy) has let slip it's 'on their list' of models to make but don't hold your breath fella!! Depending on which flavour of Victorious you download (I have em all.. rude not to!!) you can find suitable aircraft to fly from Rob Richardson and you can get a Bucc from Flying Stations (payware). If you happen to be a member at UKMIL, you can get an FSX version from there too.

Illustrious is already in the library here as well as Ark Royal V (2010) and there's a conversion of QE available either here or at Simviation (under miscellaneous FSX). QE (and PoW) is a bit rough but it's available should you want to try it. Certainly more fitting to fly the F-35 from than any of the others
    ATB
    DaveB

Well, whatever it was, glad you got your mojo back

I personally do AIC backwards, I guess. I have it in my exe.xml, and if I'm not going to use it, I shut it off. 6 of one...

Have fun, and happy traps to you!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

I nearly fell off my seat then. Sea Vampire indeed

Yup.. it's the Skysim Sea Vixen which is sadly no longer available. Flying Stations (Skippy) has let slip it's 'on their list' of models to make but don't hold your breath fella!! Depending on which flavour of Victorious you download (I have em all.. rude not to!!) you can find suitable aircraft to fly from Rob Richardson and you can get a Bucc from Flying Stations (payware). If you happen to be a member at UKMIL, you can get an FSX version from there too.

Illustrious is already in the library here as well as Ark Royal V (2010) and there's a conversion of QE available either here or at Simviation (under miscellaneous FSX). QE (and PoW) is a bit rough but it's available should you want to try it. Certainly more fitting to fly the F-35 from than any of the others
    ATB
    DaveB
    Yes, sorry about that incorrect Ident!

Looking at the weather there you must be off Pompey or Dartmouth.
    Funny, when we see Sim pics from our cousins in America - it's never raining!
    Good old Blighty.

I checked out Lusty in the library - I wish there was a really good payware RN Carrier - Ocean would be great even though its Helo's.
    Thanks for the encouragement earlier today - much appreciated.

Jim

Members who have read this thread: 0