Next from AH: Republic P-47D Thunderbolt - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Next from AH: Republic P-47D Thunderbolt

Some fun photos to share:

Late variant (a P-47D-40-RA) - with tail fin fillet, rocket stubs and dive flaps

Earlier variant (actually a P-47M) - with no tail fin fillet or rocket stubs

Note that the majority of the period photos show the Thunderbolt with the 13ft-diameter Curtiss-Electric cuffed propeller, with the bullet-like Curtiss-Electric prop hub. However, the 13ft 7/8in-diameter Hamilton Standard hydromatic non-cuffed propellers, with the Hamilton Standard hydromatic prop hub, was also used (all of the props fitted to P-47's flying today are of the Hamilton Standard type) - and like the unit seen on the AH model. The Hamilton Standard prop type can be clearly seen in the photo of the P-47D "Rae", as well as likely in the photo of "Shirley Jane III". The cuffs of the Curtiss-Electric blades were only meant for use at high altitudes, so for those which only participated in low-altitude work (ground-attack/ground-support assignment), the Hamilton Standard blades fit the bill, with the big, thick paddle blades of the Hamilton Standard units pulling the fully-loaded aircraft off the ground better at takeoff as well.

We need a bubble-top P-47 in FSX that looks just like this: https://www.facebook.com/100004877147814/videos/795742097265021/

The video is of the first engine run and taxi-test of the restored combat-vet P-47D "Dottie Mae", the most authentic Thunderbolt restoration to-date - everything about the restoration was done to put it back just the way it was when new from the factory, accurate down to the rivets. Note that the metal is not polished at all, it is fresh Alclad-covered aluminum, as it looked/looks when fresh/new (as it did when new from the factory in the 40's). With the full use of FSX materials, there is no problem in getting this exact look in the sim.

I can't wait to see the restored "Dottie Mae" with its cowlings on and the recreated original and very colorful nose art. Rumor has it that it may be a surprise attendee at Oshkosh this summer. As always, you can follow (and look back on) the restoration of this aircraft, in detail, here: https://www.facebook.com/Allied-Figh...4129241462297/

Really looking forward to this and I agree with Bomber_12th. I was just flying the A2A Razorback "D" over the weekend, and thinking about and hoping this D is even better! I've always had a few issues with the A2A model, but made the very best of it over the years. Getting to see John Penney in "Balls Out" last year at Oshkosh really re-kindled my interest and respect for the "Jug." The airplane reminds me of an Iron Fist....just waiting to 'SMASH' whatever gets in its way! Sure wish there were more flying...to represent and tell the story of the machine and the men who flew and maintained them during WWII.

Looking nice on the AH FB page in the P3D v3.4 screenshots, but I notice the front windscreen and canopy are still not accurate, as pointed out by John.

(Just compare with the Republic P-47 drawings he posted along with the excellent pictures too).

Hopefully this will be corrected before release, as a good quality P-47D-25 is long overdue!

Cheers

Paul

Knowing what can be done with FSX and P3D materials, if only...

I know some people would look at this and say, "oh, that's polished", but it isn't. The metal, as you see it, is the same as the metal looked when the aircraft rolled out of the factory in 1944, as simply fresh/new Alclad. The metal panels along the bottom of the fuselage are always darker, because much of the panels that make up the bottom of the fuselage are stainless - they have to be, due to the heat of the exhaust and the turbo ducting that runs much of the distance of the fuselage. Republic wasn't known for using very much green zinc-chromate either, and you'll find that the gear wells were always almost entirely yellow zinc-chromate(of course the cockpits were painted either interior green or bronze green depending on production block).

"Dottie Mae" will be making its first public debut on August 26th and 27th at the Warhawk Air Museum's "Warbird Roundup" event, being held in Nampa, Idaho. It is being hinted at that the original nose art/pinup will be painted onto the cowls during this event or leading up to it. Note the black circle, or "period", next to the 'S', which is on both sides of the aircraft - this shows up in several original wartime photos and could still be seen on the aircraft when it was pulled out of the lake in 2005, but it always seems to be forgotten about/left off of artwork/profiles that people have done.

Six of the world's flyable Republic P-47 Thunderbolt fighter

This video shows six of the world's flyable Republic P-47 Thunderbolt (Jug) fighters.

The following five Thunderbolts are seen flying in formation during the 2005 Planes of Fame Museum airshow at Chino, California. That was quite a sight (and sound) having five Thunderbolts in the air at one time!

1. P-47D NX47RP "Big Chief"
    2. P-47D NX647D "Wicked Wabbit"
    3. P-47D NX47DF
    4. P-47D NX9246B "Hun Hunter XVI"
    5. P-47G N3395G "Spirit of Atlantic City NJ"

The sixth Thunderbolt, P-47D NX147PF "No Guts, no Glory!" (with the checkerboard cowling) is seen in the close-up taxiing sequence.

Published on Jul 1, 2012

Wonder why the Navy didn't buy into this, perhaps too heavy for carrier service.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post

I know some people would look at this and say, "oh, that's polished", but it isn't. The metal, as you see it, is the same as the metal looked when the aircraft rolled out of the factory in 1944, as simply fresh/new Alclad. The metal panels along the bottom of the fuselage are always darker, because much of the panels that make up the bottom of the fuselage are stainless - they have to be, due to the heat of the exhaust and the turbo ducting that runs much of the distance of the fuselage. Republic wasn't known for using very much green zinc-chromate either, and you'll find that the gear wells were always almost entirely yellow zinc-chromate(of course the cockpits were painted either interior green or bronze green depending on production block).

"Dottie Mae" will be making its first public debut on August 26th and 27th at the Warhawk Air Museum's "Warbird Roundup" event, being held in Nampa, Idaho. It is being hinted at that the original nose art/pinup will be painted onto the cowls during this event or leading up to it. Note the black circle, or "period", next to the 'S', which is on both sides of the aircraft - this shows up in several original wartime photos and could still be seen on the aircraft when it was pulled out of the lake in 2005, but it always seems to be forgotten about/left off of artwork/profiles that people have done.

John, thanks for pointing this out. I have been a champion of this perspective for a long time. The problem with black and white photos is that they omit the visible part of the refelcted image in the metal finish. The color! But, if you look closely at a photo, and analyze the composition, taking note of the details in the environment, you can deduce why in some images the finish doesn't appear "polished" while in others it does. Not every case, but many cases, you're dealing with a photo that was taken with broken clouds overhead. WIth only white as the contrast overhead, there's not much contrast in the refelection. I've noticed this on the B-58 Hustler images. As well as the first flight video of the A-12 Oxcart. But if you look closely at that video you'll notice that it's taking place in April and the clouds are overcast. Compare that to the photos of the first flight and some may be left scratching their heads, because the photos show a clearly clean Titanium reflective skin, while the video shows a more matted finish. The aircraft climbed above and away from the clouds clearly. Great explanation and thank you for the photos!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

There is one in flight conditions -- at least is informed to being so -- here in Brazil too (MUSAL Rio de Janeiro):

Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

She's now complete (photo copyright Allied Fighters, via Facebook):

So cool(!) The artwork was done by a local Idaho artist, Jeff Devey. I'm glad they chose someone to recreate the artwork that wouldn't have to go and add their own flare (like some of the big name nose artists) - just recreate how it was originally.

Small update on AH FB page:

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I see someone else has flagged up the incorrect canopy on the AH FB page, but AH seem to disagree with the observation!

Interesting that they claim that they used original factory drawings, yet the canopy bares no resemblance to that in the ones that John posted earlier, and indeed what my eyes see in the pictures as well.

(They did the same thing with the Typhoon canopy also).

Whilst it my seem like nitpicking to some, it is a valid piece of constructive criticism, which will only enhance the appearance of what looks like an otherwise accurate and well modelled P-47D-25.

Cheers

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Bradburger View Post
    I see someone else has flagged up the incorrect canopy on the AH FB page, but AH seem to disagree with the observation!

Interesting that they claim that they used original factory drawings, yet the canopy bares no resemblance to that in the ones that John posted earlier, and indeed what my eyes see in the pictures as well.

(They did the same thing with the Typhoon canopy also).

Whilst it my seem like nitpicking to some, it is a valid piece of constructive criticism, which will only enhance the appearance of what looks like an otherwise accurate and well modelled P-47D-25.

Cheers

Paul
    +1, I see differences also in model and real.

Btw. any news about this skin? ;>

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Last edited by ZsoltB; September 18th, 2017 at 05:00.
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Skin proposition from my side - for sure P-47D of Gabreski!
    Wow!
    Thank You AH!!!

btw. more pictures with this skin (I see it's WIP still ) : http://modelwork.pl/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=32649

Good info here, folks! Thanks for sharing! The P-47, like the British Typhoon were two planes that looked like they were meant to "take care of business"; and you did not want to be on the business end!
    Looking forward to this release.

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

Be nice to see this one before Christmas..
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

That pretty little Stinson they tease on Facebook too....

Any news the released date?
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

It's just gone into beta test so fingers crossed and all that...

I get the feeling that AH is going to be getting a lot of my money over the next few months with all these projects. The screenshots look excellent, and I'm interested by the post war photos of P-47s; repaints galore!

If it could be released today that would be great. Otherwise, please wait for next payday!

Matt

Members who have read this thread: 0