Next from AH: Republic P-47D Thunderbolt
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Next from AH: Republic P-47D Thunderbolt

Next from AH: Republic P-47D Thunderbolt

From FB, busy company :

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Skin proposition from my side - for sure P-47D of Gabreski!

also Gladych:

Lanowski:

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Finally a Bubble-top P-47. Looking forward to this one.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

btw. I taken this idea (from AH presentations :- D) to show the model with... box of model, looks nice I suppose, sorry for offtop but can't resist because it's a nice idea (skins are for DCS Spitfire LF IXc), the preview:

I wonder what particular bubble-top variant(s) they'll include - quite a number of cockpit changes/differences between the D-25/D-28/D-30, etc., rocket stubs/no rocket stubs (with cockpit rocket firing panel/no rocket firing panel), etc. It would be nice if the canopy/framing/windscreen and wing leading edges (airfoil) were more accurate to the real thing.

Stock from the factory, bubble-top P-47's didn't have external rear-view mirrors (there was a rear-view mirror internally) - but in Europe, some would of course gain an external Spitfire mirror, if the pilot deemed it necessary. The Spitfire mirror dimension should be checked that it is 10.6cm/4.2-inches wide.
    Last edited by Bomber_12th; May 15th, 2017 at 13:39.

Canopy bubble/framing (original Republic drawing):

Windscreen assembly (original Republic drawing):

Plexi bubble shaping (original Republic drawing)

The most authentic P-47 restoration to-date, the P-47D-28 "Dottie Mae", detailed photos galore here (both prior-to and after restoration):

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Allied-F...=page_internal

The metal on "Dottie Mae" is not polished, but is fresh Alclad, just as it would have appeared when new from the factory. The darker, less shiny sections of metal are of course stainless steal - stainless steal makes up most of the belly of the aircraft, due to the high temperature of the intercooler/turbo, ducting, and exhaust. Other details that can be spotted on the "Dottie Mae" restoration is the authentic use of various colored rivets - silver, yellow, blue and red - mostly used in a unorganized manner, as per original, as the various rivets, namely the silver/yellow/blue rivets, were mixed together in trays on the factory floors, and whatever color rivet was used was whatever rivet the riveter pulled out of his pocket at that particular moment. Areas where panels have been spot-welded you can see bright lines, a result of acid being brushed onto the aluminum to purify the surface of the metal prior to spot-welding - as per original. All of the stencils and numerous other details are not only accurate to the Republic drawings, but are as they were found prior to restoration.

In the same league as "Dottie Mae", is the P-47D-30 "Tallahassee Lassie". While "Dottie Mae" has been restored precisely accurate to the D-28 it is, "Tallahassee Lassie" was restored precisely accurate to the D-30 it is. Most notably is how different the cockpit is between the two. Being the later variant, "Tallahassee Lassie" has the rocket stubs and rocket-firing panel in the cockpit, where as the earlier variant, "Dottie Mae", does not (not to mention the difference in gunsights, instrument arrangements, switch panels, etc.). Here is a large collection of detailed photos of the incredibly authentic/accurate P-47D-30 "Tallahassee Lassie":

https://www.facebook.com/Randy.Malmstrom/media_set?set=a.1248468561847465.1073742547.100000 529987087&type=3

http://westpacrestorations.com/index...47-thunderbolt

Man..... that is just GORGEOUS!!!!! What an Airplane.

Aeroplane Heaven might as well just set up a direct withdrawal from my bank account. I just got the Helldiver, am waiting patiently for the Commando, still need to pick up the Typhoon and now there's the P-47, which will also be a definite buy.

Nice work AH and great info John.

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Ummm Cuba P47#452

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

The only thing that I'm disappointed about is the lack of integrated Tacpack...in previous models...its really not that hard to implement and makes it infinity easier when done by the developer to be able to actually integrate TP weapons and visibility, weights etc. Any chance this might be done? Man, this looks oh so nice! C46 AND THIS = instant buys. Glad you chose the bubble.guys. seriously good.judgement. others had their chance..again I hope you make the $$$ you deserve!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

I'm really looking forward to this one. John, those are excellent images of the screen and canopy assemblies. I love insights like that.

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Like others I shall eagerly await a high-quality bubble-top P-47. I never really understood why A2A didn't uprate their bubble-top, having done so with the razor-back. I've spent many hours with MCX and lots of help from others converting it though the cockpit remains animated but unclickable. At least I can use spec, alpha and bump maps to create nice looking paints, so all the time researching new paints can be put to good use.....!

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Great News......

It's the one plane I missed the most from FS9. Like Dave, I always wondered why A2A never updated their bubbletop model. Well it's moot now thanks to AH! Looking forward to it, and all the great third party repaints to follow.

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

Yes Dave eagerly awaiting this one as well. If AH continues to select the Caliber of aircraft they have been thus far they've guaranteed my business. Not sure why others haven't picked this one or any others up, but goodness, their mistake is AH's opportunity! Go get 'em!

John Terrell! Those images are outstanding! Yes the FHC's (now FHCAM) P-47 Is an impeccably restored version. I'm lucky enough to see this coming Saturday 5/20 for the annual Paine field aviation day where admission is free and both the FHCAM and the HFF are accessible with aircraft flying during the day and tons of static displays as well as armor firing displays, boom! If you are in yhe neighborhood this Saturday, I wouldn't mind meeting up with some fellow simmers on the flight line behind the FHC main hangar.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Thank you AH! Have been looking forward to a "D" Bubble top for FSX for a long time.

Hopefully to be followed by an "N" - my all time favorite.
    Many a hour spent cruising the Pacific in this beast.

And John - as always - many interesting and informative details.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017-5-16_22-55-41-190.jpg   2017-5-16_10-12-27-461.jpg  

P-47 Cockpit

John, I agree that the cockpit framing isn't quite right, but with the drawings you provided there is no reason to get it wrong now. I would love to buy a "corrected" version.
    BUD

Didn't quite escape.
    /Ian P grumbles slightly while grinning inwardly and shoves Boxted a bit further up the "to do" list... Altbough there's already at least one Jug base done for the UK, he just can't remember which one it is offhand...

P-47D "Bubble-Top" Stencils & Markings

Original factory specifications for all external markings and stencils. These all come from one single large Republic blueprint drawing (multiple scans). Most of the stencils are numbered and thus are meant to be traced to the key, where you can read what the stencil is supposed to state (as well as size of font and color), but for any that may happen to be marked with a drawing number (decals), let me know which numbers those may be/which ones are needed, and I can provide copies of those particular drawings as well.

In addition to all of that stuff...every removable/access panel on the P-47 was stenciled with an individual number. That number was applied to both the access panel and the main body of the airframe, one over the other (as outlined in the drawings), so that each panel could be matched-up easily to the right location on the aircraft. Here is the diagram drawing for each of those numbers that were stenciled onto the access panels and main body of the aircraft:

Here you can see more clearly the way the removable/access numbers are accurately applied as per original/factory specification:

Members who have read this thread: 0