Annuschka Adventures in the Orbx World - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Annuschka Adventures in the Orbx World

Here we are on a long downwind. Descending from high, we pulled back to 6kPa to cool as slowly as possible, helped by the tightly shuttered cowl, and after a continuous descent of about 20 minutes, found ourselves nicely positioned downwind.

This next photo is just about were we will turn base. The plan is to be over the silo when we crank over... but take a look at what's ahead and to the right...

This next photo illustrates everything I love about my Annuschka... VSI is plummeting, yet IAS is comfortable..... one burst of throttle and we shall arrest descent, to touch down ever so lightly... superb!

And with that burst, we arrested descent and alighted softer than a feather.... with lots of room ahead....

This Russian babushka was made for places such as this... farm implements, assorted wings juxtaposed with bits and bobs rusting in the sun... she looks quite at home at Israel's Farm... doesn't she?

We are headed North next.... won't you come along?

Best- C

Iv'e spent some time upgrading EZCA to the latest v2.5 beta build so that I can use P3D v4 comfortably. I thought about Chaseplane for a bit, but I know and love EZCA so I decided to stick with it. The program is totally customizable, which is GREAT, but work to get things just so... still I am happy with my decision. After all that, I needed to relax and so I set it up in v3 for my Annsuchka as well....

We left Israel's Farm and headed NNW. Vancouver was pretty, but I don't think we are all here for concrete... there's enough of that at home! I concentrated on tweaking my EZCA until we entered Horseshoe Bay.... then the scenery was too important to ignore anymore. Here we are, up high at 1500m, and about to pull power. Down below, a tanker is loading, the clouds are puffy, visibility is good and the mountainscape, in true Orbx fashion- is breathtaking!

SQUAMISH, in all her glory. Orbx has even thought to include the log rafts as they make their way South to get picked up by the logging companies for mills and further transport- incredible!

Squamish Airport is tucked behind a lee, behind the town and port.... so it takes a bit of maneuvering to locate it the first time... and the wind favored 15....

Naturally, that meant that the pattern work here was going to be interesting... very like Kai-Tak (remember the subtle warning... continued flight past 2.2 DME will result in loss of terrain clearance?). There was a point where it was fairly important we turn left!

We stayed high enough to ensure terrain clearance.... but that left us high for short final... no worries, pull power, add flap and stand-by to push throttle....

As expected we stopped comfortably short (I am liking the view effect improvements that EXCA v2.5 brings, I just dial them all down to about 20% of stock values).

...and what do you know? The FedEx guy beat me here, to pick up my parcel!

The nice folks at Glacier Air said I could tie-down on their ramp. Would you believe after I shut down, a squirrel came out to see me? Would you believe I could hear the A&P hammering on aluminum and using compressed air inside the hangar? Truly incredible stuff- thanks Orbx!

Ok, back to work on v4... hope you are having fun too? It's a great time in Flight Simming!

Best- Carl

BTW- if any or our very talented group here at SOH has any thoughts on how to get my Annuschka into v4, please PM/contact me! Everything I read says it's not possible, and that is becoming a source of considerable angst....

Ta- Carl

It's one of the reasons I won't be moving to v4.

Hi Carl,

Enjoying your adventure a lot.So much actually, that I decided that I "had to have her",and purchased this AN-2. I have several OrbX airports in the PNW scenery, and have started to make some flights using the CR1 Ford Tri-Motor. The AN-2 will require some study of the manual before I dive in to the PNW area, getting the Tri-Motor in oand out of these dirt strips is a challenge by itself.

Keep on going, and I might run in to you at some strip somewhere sometime.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Manfred-

That's actually good to hear! The post had gone back to page 3 and I thought that most were tired of it. The An-2 is near and dear to my heart. Perhaps the best pilot notes are the ones written by Alex Metzger himself. I tried to put up a link, however, the forum itself seems dead now.... sadly, the future is looking pretty dull for my gleaming jewel (if you look at SP-AMN you will note the adoration in that statement) .

Best- C

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    A freeware AN-2 that may interest you ..... https://library.avsim.net/search.php...=an2zh2010.zip

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Carl,I can not agree more,

SP-AMN does look pretty worn down, but I think she will prove that she still has the spark to enjoy plenty of air time

Hey AussieMan,

I think a found another freeware one for FSX, but it is not nearly as good as the one from Sibwings (no, I am not in any way associated with them, lol). Not just the textured, but also the sounds and FDE are outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by manfredc3 View Post
    Hi Carl,

Enjoying your adventure a lot.So much actually, that I decided that I "had to have her",and purchased this AN-2. I have several OrbX airports in the PNW scenery, and have started to make some flights using the CR1 Ford Tri-Motor. The AN-2 will require some study of the manual before I dive in to the PNW area, getting the Tri-Motor in oand out of these dirt strips is a challenge by itself.
    Great to read that it's still possible to buy this add-on. I had some concerns given reports of the 'dead' forum and lack of support. I'm sure the AN-2 is good-to-go, so long as the purchase and installation still works.

Yes indeed, the CR1 Ford would be a very authentic pre-cursor to operating the AN-2. Have you tried the 'Army' floatplane version, Manfred? - it flys nicely and has some great cargo textures in the back if you have any interest in 'air hauling'

Thanks Pat! Will check it out....

Manfred.... do tell us more please.... especially about the FDE....

Best- C

Quote Originally Posted by manfredc3 View Post
    ...Keep on going, and I might run in to you at some strip somewhere sometime.
    I've always thought it'd be fun to do these kinds of hops with a multiplayer group. I usually fly on Vatsim but it seems very airline - centric and I'm usually in the bush, so it's rare I see someone...

Quote Originally Posted by Portia911 View Post
    Have you tried the 'Army' floatplane version, Manfred? - it flys nicely and has some great cargo textures in the back if you have any interest in 'air hauling'
    No, I have not, but I am sure I will end up signing up for some cargo flight that will take me to one of those little lake harbor places.

Quote Originally Posted by stearmandriver View Post
    I've always thought it'd be fun to do these kinds of hops with a multiplayer group. I usually fly on Vatsim but it seems very airline - centric and I'm usually in the bush, so it's rare I see someone...
    Hey that would actually be a great idea. I fly the B737 almost weekly with a friend, where I host the flight.

We could set up a multiplayer session, and have people join in whatever bush plane they prefer. We may not all see the correct plane, but it would just be a lot of fun.

I used to do this weekly on a different website years ago, where we had up to 15 simmers join in. Boy, do I miss those days.

I don't want to hijack this thread, so if there is interest, then I can start a new thread for that

Carl,

We are ready for the next chapter of your adventure to get the thread back on track.

It has been a while, or is your Annuschka in the maintenance hangar?

Manfred-

Actually, she really is in maintenance! I am getting a second Leo Bodnar USB card installed in my PFC Flight Console II, so that ALL the buttons can work. When that's complete, I shall post once more.

Actually, I wasn't sure there was still interest, so thanks for asking!

Best- C

Manfred, I'm certainly interested in a group flight like this if you wanted to start a thread discussing it.

Carl, I'm looking forward to your continued adventures as well, when your bird is out of maintenance! ;-)

Bumping this thread because I finally pulled the trigger and now the proud owner of the Sibwings An-2
    (yeah, I'm sooo late to the party it feels like a reunion!)

. . . so I've downloaded a few repaints and I'm thinking about where to campaign my new toy (preferably a fairly authentic location/region). I've seen a 'fictional' Cuban military skin, and requests for an Aerotaxi repaint, but does anyone know if a Cuban civilian skin exists for this Sibwings model?
    Thanks.

I'm glad people are still buying this a/c.... perhaps the developers will stumble by SOH one day, and be re-invigorated to update our beloved for P3d v4.... Unfortunately, as I research, I am getting less and less hopeful. The An-2 remains the SOLE reason I still have a v3 installation.... My console is back and I am in the midst of some testing... planning to finally leave Squamish this weekend.... fingers x'ed.

Best- Carl

AN2

Although I have not yet spoken on this subject, I must say that I look forward to your next flights with this wonderful airplane, by the way one of my favorites, it is wonderful to do the complete checklist and at the end listen to your pistons.
    PD I live in Barcelona, ​​near here we have the population of Sabadell and in their hangars sleeps an AN2 with a very very similar skin to the SP-AMN, the last time I could go up to his cabin was last year with my son, Although the child's face was mine

Quote Originally Posted by cavaricooper View Post
    Pat-

Glad you are enjoying the trip....

I can tell you that I experience absolutely zero performance issues, but I gave up on frame rates long ago. Steve Waite, the brilliant engineer at CodeLegend taught me to LOCK at 20FPS and ELIMINATE Long Frames- PERIOD. No matter what- the PMDG NGX, 777, 744 or DC-6, this Annuschka, the Jahn/Viser C-47, A2A 183... whatever- it's smooth as silk.

I will have to add though, that I run a 6700K at 4.8 GHz, DDR4 RAM, coupled with M2 SSDs and a Nvidia 1080 GTX card ....all running at 4K on a Sony TV with sliders maxed. My only concession for the PMDG heavies is to back off the Building Autogen from Max to Normal- that's it. I do NOT run traffic (fly on Vatsim).

Obviously your performance will depend on your system, but I can tell you I'm very happy with everything from Orbx so far- THEY HAVE MOVED MY GOAL-POSTS- Just AMAZING!

Best- Carl
    Carl,
    I love this post and have read a couple of times. Pics are amazing.
    I noticed this post about settings, this time around:

May I ask what you mean by ELIMINATE Long Frames?

OK, I picked up the Annushka, put it in FSX SE. Can't start it, when it runs I can't steer it. Full left rudder and it goes in circles to the right until speed allows the tail rudder to bite the air. Tail wheel lock switch is just a picture- no actual switch. WT ? Assigned a button to tail wheel lock, it doesn't. Half the switches numbered in the manual are just pictures. About to uninstall. AARRGGHH!
    Sue

Hmm, installed to P3D 3, skipped the update. Suddenly everything works, and she's a wall behaved lady. Now I see the attraction. I think my update went bad.

One for Carl I think.

He has flown it many many miles.
    Don't uninstall just yet!

Sue-

I always disable AV when downloading/installing new products (but I use a separate computer for the DL's behind a HW Firewall). Stick with it.... she's fabulous! Take time to read Alex Metzger's flying guide (he did the FDE) (http://www.sibwings.com/an2/AN-2%20F...ide%20V1.1.pdf) and I seem to remember Ted (Tu-Fun) or Jan-Kees did an engine mod for it. I cheated a bit and did a ground contact mod to activate my steering tiller (will look for those for for you, but I think they were all on the forum, which is now U/S). Yo-Yo did the incredible paint you see in this thread, so in many ways, she was touched and loved by more than just I here at SOH.

In the other thread, there burns a flicker of hope, and I would very much like to sit in my greenhouse behind my Shetsov in Prepar3D v4.... but as I have been cautioned, it may take a while, and patience is a virtue...

Best- C

Members who have read this thread: 0