DOVE Tail FSW release May 2017 - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DOVE Tail FSW release May 2017

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Well this also happened to the switch to FSX from FS9. Although many old aircraft would port to FSX, some needed work, an some didn't. Some of boys from Aces are part of the dev group so this may be what FSXI was supposed to be. Still, many of us have some serious $$$ tied up in FSX. There needs to be a way some of our investment can be returned.

The money you have tied up in FSX is not invested, it's spent: no more of an investment than money "invested" with a bookmaker. DTG have said there's no backwards compatibility with FSX, a now 10+ year old technology.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Members +
    Guys, you MUST get your heads around the fact that FSW is NOT an upgrade/update to FSX at all.
    You MUST realise that it IS a completely new sim/game with no backward compatibility!!
    So, as, I'm sure you have realised by now, one does not 'invest' in a sim/game. one spends money.

So far, we know nothing much at all, except that the release will be 'early access', as in beta!
    So, like Microsoft, DTG are releasing something that they expect their (paid) users will troubleshoot for them... wait for forthcoming service packs/updates!

So, just like you paid for FS2002, FS2004 & FSX, & the different versions (not updates) of P3D, do not expect discounts.

BTW, having add-ons only available through DTG/Steam is a concern. The backbone of our hobby are the amazing freeware developers out there, & their future role in this case, seems to have become marginalized.

Just passing and had to make a comment........
    I might (just might) look at the 'early access' offering, I'm curious to see just how well they have implemented the '64 bit program'.
    While this is good news for high end users it could be a repeat of the early days of FSX for many.
    As for third party content, I'd point out that DTG seem to be very big on keeping 'additional content' under their control, the 'Train Sim' series appear to be an example of their business model.
    However, best not to jump to negative conclusions before the finished product becomes available.
    I won't be jumping in for at least a month so that is probably 'good timing', unintentional on my part I hasten to add.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

The problem with such announcements is that statements are made that do not clarify the worries and questions raised by the community. To wait and see how things turn out on release is tantamount to sticking one's head in the sand. We have the opportunity NOW to voice our concerns with the business model, the developer stance etc and possibly bring by a change in direction to the benefit of all.
    I am fully aware and understanding of the fact that compatibility with fsx addons is not available. FSW may have the fsx codebase, but that does not automatically imply that fsx addons can or even should run in FSW at all. I do believe that the business model here may well stifle development to the extent that FSW might not survive against XP11 and P3D in a new release, especially if the latter is released as 64-bit. I, like many of the previous posters here, will be waiting on reviews from as many independent sources as possible before considering this. I wish DTG well for the final steps and hope that they are willing and able to listen to the concerns of our community, which really does have different needs and expectations from those of the more game-oriented pastimes' communities.

Andrew Entwistle
    Per Ardua ad Astra

I could care less that FSX addons don't port over or ever work at all in the New Sim. I fully realize it's a new sim. good to cut the umbilical early and swiftly to the past tech. and embrace all new. I'm ok with this. The point is that, DTG will not build everything into their core sim...just like FSX...so things like for example AI carriers....gauges, freeware scenery, Tackpack (if they allow it at all) any - solid "can't live without this" little tool or module, is now up in the air if anything like this will be allowed to be made and published as freeware, and even if yes, it must pass through Steam. Very lame. Realize it's their choice. I'm going to wait and see exactly what it is and what the reviews say...I stand down from my epic soap box for now! LOL...
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Didn't quite escape.
    I can reply to this thread as someone who has been to the DTG offices and spoken to the flight team - indeed I would count at least one of the members of that team as a friend. However, I'm not just going to defend them because, like everyone else, I still have unanswered questions and need to wait and see what comes out.

What I can say though is that they have very actively engaged with a large part of the FS world, from developers and add-on designers through to the ongoing communication you can see on forums. They are not operating "in a bubble" but I don't think that even they have all the answers to give yet. When they have, we'll get them. I do think that recent releases have meant that they have needed to step up their game from what they already achieved with Flight School, so it's probable that they are still making changes to the sim. We don't know whether they are and what they will be. yet.

Cheers,

Ian P

DTG's willingness to interact with the community must not be underestimated. They asked about everything that's wrong in FSX and got a tremendous amount of feedback. I'm fairly curious to see how much of that grocery list they've managed to cross off for FSW.

And many of us will be able to try the new sim at no risk/expense. If you bought and activated a copy of Flight School, you will get FSW for free.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...83211945188989

Anybody interested in more official statements about FSW should dig through the posts from the DTG team in the FSW forum on Avsim.
    https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/7...ght-sim-world/

From what I could gather, FSW is a long term project with a limited scope at the beginning to get people interested without producing an unfocused mess. Talk Flight School Plus. The Flight School elements are in to target beginners, the initial focus is on GA because they're easy to produce and easy to fly, there's active cooperation with third party developers to make the platform attractive for users, AccuSim stuff to attract more serious simmers, 64 bit, ORBX textures, weather effects and pixel-based rendering for the VFX harlots and there's an updated nav database for parts of the world.
    Scenery rendering improvements are investigated, while airliners and ATC improvements are long term goals.

All things considered, and assuming that DTG earns enough to keep development going, FSW might become an alternative in a few years. I'll wait.

Quote Originally Posted by b52bob View Post
    Well this also happened to the switch to FSX from FS9. Although many old aircraft would port to FSX, some needed work, an some didn't. Some of boys from Aces are part of the dev group so this may be what FSXI was supposed to be. Still, many of us have some serious $$$ tied up in FSX. There needs to be a way some of our investment can be returned.
    FSX is ANCIENT. I've spent thousands on addons too but if people truly want a new sim none of the old addons should work. Or, I'd be ok with the fact that none of my old addons work if the new sim is earth shattering.

I already use XP11 - it's amazing , but I didn't want to switch topics on you guys lol. I'm mostly XP nowadays anyway.

Ah, you guys. If they somehow let y'all download a real P-51 Mustang, you'd complain that there's only plane choice and repaints are really hard.

I'm going to give it a chance.

I'm also not going to slam it if it's missing a ton of features from FSX at launch, because it takes time to build out something like that. If they're headed in the right direction and continuing development, I'll be excited to see a new entrant in the category.

I look at AeroFly FS 2. It's also in early access, but because it's only getting rolling and is admittedly missing a lot, many hardcore sim guys haven't given it a chance. Despite the fact that AFFS2 with VR goggles is by far the most amazing VFR experience ever (for the moment).

Given the number of hours a $50-60 sim promises to offer, even if it's in early development and will take a while to gestate, I'm aghast at the pushback against spending the equivalent of the cost of a mid-range dinner out for two people to get a whole new sim to explore and watch grow.

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    \

If somebody finally renders the city of Atlanta decently accurately in a sim, that will be all I will fly. FSX and P3D are a joke in this regard and nobody has published the city of Atlanta as a payware or freeware package. Even Xplane 11, which has a better rendition, isnt that great. I know nobody cares, but being able to fly decent VFR around my home area would be great. (and yes I know that KATL has been done a few times by several groups over the years. my interest is the city.)

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    However, best not to jump to negative conclusions before the finished product becomes available.
    Very true ...

By the way, the same applies to positive conclusions too ...

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    In my 25 years of flightsimming I have allways wondered why people get so exited about a new flightsimulator (either a completely new one, or the Microsoft fs* line of products) solely based on marketing statements, pictures and videos.
    Don't judge it untill it's available, and only then comment on what you feel are the pro's and con's compared to existing sim's.

And if something is a pro or a con: even that might be personal.
    Like lack-of backward compatibility is a showstopper for one, others don't care.

To me, the fuzz around DTG's FSW is the same again as e.g. the hype around the announcement of FSX (Original release) and MS-Flight.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    The money you have tied up in FSX is not invested, it's spent:
    Excellent point.

I think I've got about as much invested in FSX and P3D eye candy as most others here. It was a lot that trickled out over time, but I always knew those indulgences were as transient as the few dozen pistons I've torched in the HD.

On the other hand, I've made a sizeable investment in hardware, software and time...lots of time, based solely on a calculated speculation that this technology will keep improving as we move forward. Old platforms will fade while new platforms take their place bringing improvements in performance and immersion. I'm in the camp that views these inevitable changes, and the adjustments required to re-direct focus, in a more favorable light.

I'm also in the camp that views these technological leaps forward as presenting a broad range of opportunities for those seeking to find a niche in the commercial aspects.

The break from 32 bit will allow so many extremely talented developers, artists, programmers, coders and CEOs to stretch their wings...so to speak. The benefit to the community will be immense, but will indeed come at a cost. I'll wait until I get some seat time before I attempt to make any in depth observations or comments along those lines.

I must admit that I am very pleased to see two 64 bit platforms emerging, apparently very close to one another.
    I'm apparently going to be needing a couple of additional $$Ds to accommodate the additions. I checked...there's room under the hood.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

I honestly dread the day the community gets a 64 bit sim. While FSX' VAS limitation surely is annoying at times, it at least forces you to thing what and what not you can afford in terms of memory consumption, be it as a user or a developer. Efficiency reigns supreme. Now with basically endless amount of RAM available, add-ons will be even more demanding to produce due to all the desite for millions of polygons and ultra high res textures and pixel-accurate cockpit displays. Not to mention any environmental stuff. This will reach a point where you will see people whining about low performance, stutters or else because all they ever did was adding so much junk to the sim that all the data effectively started clogging the memory buses. And hardware limitations won't go away that easily.

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post
    If somebody finally renders the city of Atlanta decently accurately in a sim, that will be all I will fly. FSX and P3D are a joke in this regard and nobody has published the city of Atlanta as a payware or freeware package. Even Xplane 11, which has a better rendition, isnt that great. I know nobody cares, but being able to fly decent VFR around my home area would be great. (and yes I know that KATL has been done a few times by several groups over the years. my interest is the city.)
    Search for landmarks t the SketchUp Warehouse, convert and place them with ModelConverter and presto - instant improvement!

The rain looks really nice:

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Much of the problem re "money Invested" lies in the longevity of FSX. It is a program that is almost 11 years old. Previously in the MSFS world we had a new sim every 2 years and we didn't have a huge build up of commercial titles. Also with FS9 and before it was largely a freeware\enthusiast supported market (some notable exceptions). The serious 3rd party commercial vendors really only came about with FSX. What I suspect will happen is that there will be an initial flurry of hard core simmers like us lot here rushing to get/buy the new sim. Then it will settle down largely because there is not the variety of available aircraft. It'll be a while before it starts to make inroads into things like Vatsim or Virtual airlines etc. But with faith on all sides I am positive that the new sim will be a success.
    Perhaps it should be P3D and XP who are worried. Time will tell. +ve thoughts people.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

A big reason for that longevity is MS stopped development after Acceleration and the code was 'frozen'. Developers have had years of an unchanging code base to work on and we still haven't (quite) seen all that FSX is capable of. FSW is projected to be a work in progress for some years to come, but developers await news of an SDK. Without that, pthbbttttt!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

I am looking forward to this. I welcome the 64-bit application, this is what we need to move forward.

i7-4770K 4.4 Ghz - ASUS z87 PRO - Corsair H100i - 16 gig Kingston Beast DDR3 2166 Mhz - Gainward GTX 1070 GS GLH - CX 750M PSU - CoolerMaster HAF X case

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    I honestly dread the day the community gets a 64 bit sim. While FSX' VAS limitation surely is annoying at times, it at least forces you to thing what and what not you can afford in terms of memory consumption, be it as a user or a developer. Efficiency reigns supreme. Now with basically endless amount of RAM available, add-ons will be even more demanding to produce due to all the desite for millions of polygons and ultra high res textures and pixel-accurate cockpit displays. Not to mention any environmental stuff. This will reach a point where you will see people whining about low performance, stutters or else because all they ever did was adding so much junk to the sim that all the data effectively started clogging the memory buses. And hardware limitations won't go away that easily.
    By this logic, we should still be playing on the Commodore 64, as you had seriously efficient programming when every byte counted!

An updated engine doesn't just bring access to more memory. It also brings DirectX 11/12 support, support for newer processor optimizations, and all kinds of other things.

I still see low performance and stutters on the creaky old FSX engine 10+ years after it was released, even though my computer and video card are magnitudes faster. It's time to move to a new, efficient codebase.

FSX and P3D won't stop working if DTFSW succeeds.

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    FSW is projected to be a work in progress for some years to come, but developers await news of an SDK. Without that, pthbbttttt!
    Let's they din't charge extra for it, like everything else! Like many people have said, It's a good idea to approach the new sim with a positive attitude, because nobody want to make a game that everybody whines about before they even release it. Only time will tell.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

http://gac16.blogspot.com/

Check out my sceneries here on SOH

Not looking good in respects to marketing wise for payware... statement from PMDG.

This statement...

I don't worry about much in the future of our hobby- except for two things:

• 1) Someone making a grab to control distribution channels and their associated profit margins.
    • 2) Flagrant dishonesty/concealed motives.

They are willing to do this at the expense of the continued growth and product quality of the community by toppling well established developers and development organizations such as Aerosoft, Flight1, PMDG and the like.

As I said, I don't like money/power grabs, nor do I like dishonest brokers.

From where we sit today, it seems we are dealing with both and that is a very troubling thing indeed.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5...se-me-concern/

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Members +
    & THAT is the best and most important posting so far!!!
    Take a step back, & think what DTG is actually doing......
    Releasing a paid beta.... yes, they are giving it away to owners of Flight School, & locking developers into a distribution path! (amongst other stuff)

Charter Member 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    Take a step back, & think what DTG is actually doing...... Releasing a paid beta.... yes, they are giving it away to owners of Flight School, & locking developers into a distribution path! (amongst other stuff)
    and then take a further step back and realise

1 - "paid betas" are nothing new, devs have been doing it for over 5-6yrs now

2 - No body knows anything about how DTG will handle 3rd party mods. All thats been said has been rumour and forum gossip.

3 - Steam is not the monster everyone thinks it is, its the industry standard for games now, deal with it, its not going anywhere.

4 - Anyone who thinks that MS made any flight sim for any other reason than pure profit is kidding themselves, so give DTG a bit of slack!

5 - DTG are investing in flight sims with the future in mind, which is GOOD , FSX is about 12 yrs old .. theres kids in secondary (high) school that weren't even born when it was released. Lockheed might well change their mind on P3d and make it military customers only.

Lets just all agree to wait and see and not spread forum gossip shall we??
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Members who have read this thread: 0