DOVE Tail FSW release May 2017 - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DOVE Tail FSW release May 2017

I hope that the new lighting system will allow for dynamic lights in the cockpit instead of only allowing emissive maps like FS, AFS and P3D. This way we'll get proper, adjustable floodlighting with little effort.

SimWorks Studios

Alex Vletsas

3D Modeler & Animator
    http://www.simworksstudios.com
    http://www.facebook.com/SimWorksStudios

This way we'll get proper, adjustable floodlighting with little effort.
    Like in the PMDG 747?
    In FSX.
    Regards,
    Nick

Does old addons (FSX/P3D) will work here?
    Do You have any news about it?

btw.
    Good to see that it will be 64bits!
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Members +
    Nope, It has been said that it will not be back compatible with FSX, so, think of it as a brand new sim.
    Also, as the release later this month is an 'early access' release, consider it a beta!

Payware developers will be able to sell their stuff as per normal, wherever they do, BUT it MUST also be sold on Steam.
    As far as freeware goes ...??

Also, as P3D will eventually have a 64bit version, one wonders if there will be compatibility between P3D & FSW?

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Does old addons (FSX/P3D) will work here?
    Do You have any news about it?

btw.
    Good to see that it will be 64bits!
    From Aimee (Dovetail)...

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5...omment=3615911

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5...omment=3615514

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/509573-introducing-flight-sim-world/?do=findComment&comment=3615474

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

The announcement video is awful. Lots of marketing blah, little facts, way too much focus on visuals.

As long as there are no improvements to the general flight dynamics, AI and ATC and some other necessary bugfixes in the FSX code base, I won't switch. I want my sims smart(er), not pretty(er).

Some thoughts over at FSDeveloper...

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/thr...-world.439996/

Quote Originally Posted by ncooper View Post
    Like in the PMDG 747?
    In FSX.
    PMDG and others make adjustable floods by using lightmapa at different intensities, which need to be done by the artist.

With proper lights we wouldn't have to do that extra work.

SimWorks Studios

Alex Vletsas

3D Modeler & Animator
    http://www.simworksstudios.com
    http://www.facebook.com/SimWorksStudios

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    The announcement video is awful. Lots of marketing blah, little facts, way too much focus on visuals.

As long as there are no improvements to the general flight dynamics, AI and ATC and some other necessary bugfixes in the FSX code base, I won't switch. I want my sims smart(er), not pretty(er).
    exactly !

and after having bought their early Flight Training effort (abysmal) and allowing for considerable time to pass for them to address that debacle all I can say is : NEVER.

The vid is pretty -as intended...it has zero depth. It tells you nothing other than they made FSX 'prettier'...
    I will go to Xplane before I buy this.

Actually the P3D in 64bit is probably going to be my next purchase in flight simming
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Concerning freeware thru Steam work functionality, that's interesting.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5...omment=3615928

Agreed with Bjoern...

I'm not going to pass final judgment but right now P3D seems to be the better option...they will be supporting and active developing way past 10 years....its their core sim software. Who cares about UI more.than functionality of the sim? I have "that" feeling from reading the linked posts that they want to fully transform the way we the customers will own our products. We're not a bunch of adolescent buyers...many are professionals in their field and unlike Halo Rainbow six or what have you, flightsimmers spend $1000's on this single hobby...if the wants are not met the user base goes and had no problem abandoning ship for.what works. Pretty simple. MS flight and DTG flighschool are prime examples of trying to push something that wasn't 100% 3rd party supported and open on a community like this. EPIC FAIL.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Also, sounds like IF you want your product included it has to go through steam. Period. Meaning no more cool little apps like JoinFS, anything by bjoern, any cool gaugrs like AI carriers...all this would.have to be on steam... what a head ache. What about repaints...Aime said they've gone under the hood to ensure NO backwards compatability...so if venture to guess that they will most definitely control HOW and when content is delivered...

I for one will not be repainting anything for it if I have to go through steam...no thanks. It's a headache I don't want to deal with.

So Likely goodbye freeware sceneries and fun little addins.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

What about hardware? This FSW will have simconnect? Does it work with GoFlight or Saitek panels?
    Do You know something about it? I think it's important also.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

One more point...if it's sold through steam Who is not going to use that avenue right? It makes sense...problem is I think steam takes most of the profits?? Anyone know for sure?..no sane developer can live off that...so you likely will kill the development from many places...or they will choose not to support that platform as a result. Dint be surprised if this happens.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Blog Entries
    Not sure why, but I always remain a tiny bit cautious with a product I am less familiar with. P3D I know like the back of my hand...FSX_ST feels familiar, but I disdain all of the marketing and bling layered on the user interface. I get enough of that in the world outside of my sim sanctuary.

Of course I will jump into the new Dovetail offering, and I will attempt to maintain an unbiased perspective when evaluating it against P3D4. I tend to operate on a plus/minus logic. The platform with more plus "tics" will prevail, but it will be a necessity to become fluent in the new platform as well. I'm thankful that first glimpses of the development work flow look familiar. Not sure I have any more brain space left to learn even more 4D architecture. lol

The question for me, is the one stated above. Will Dovetail commit to a longer term relationship with their market base who, by the way, tend to be more sophisticated than your average "gamer". The flight sim group tend to be older, more sophisticated in their expectations, and of course, they have a history of participating in the development curve.

We know where LM is heading, and more importantly which developers are already on board. If Dovetail marketing was paying attention, they would have learned from other attempts that have not made it out of the gate. I would anticipate that they will be inclined to dialogue with 3rd party developers, who have survived because they listen to their customer base.

Just a few additional thoughts.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Minimum GPU is a GTX 970? My 6GB 1060 would likely force all my sliders to the left. I hope P3D v4 doesn't say the same.

Gordon always good to read your level headed perspective. I get pretty fired up and then tame out over time! Haha. It's probably a mix of the Italian and Scottish in me and the fact that I'm still a young father....with 3 kiddies at home...so my patience goes to.them and my frustrations peak through when something near and near is being messed with on a fundamental.level! I support tour sentiment as well. I should have disclaimered my comments with I'm thinking out loud here as I try to sort though the issues like all of you. Lol.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

I think I will just wait for the new P3D and be done with it. I think that's where the market and tech are heading overall.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Right now my money is also on P3d4, if as others have reported, old add on's are not going to be compatible at all then we are starting our collections again from scratch. I would never have switched to P3d in the first place if I could not use the older aircraft. I just hope when the new version comes out they drop some of there silly licensing conditions (that are never enforced).

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    Not sure why, but I always remain a tiny bit cautious with a product I am less familiar with. P3D I know like the back of my hand...FSX_ST feels familiar, but I disdain all of the marketing and bling layered on the user interface. I get enough of that in the world outside of my sim sanctuary.

Of course I will jump into the new Dovetail offering, and I will attempt to maintain an unbiased perspective when evaluating it against P3D4. I tend to operate on a plus/minus logic. The platform with more plus "tics" will prevail, but it will be a necessity to become fluent in the new platform as well. I'm thankful that first glimpses of the development work flow look familiar. Not sure I have any more brain space left to learn even more 4D architecture. lol

The question for me, is the one stated above. Will Dovetail commit to a longer term relationship with their market base who, by the way, tend to be more sophisticated than your average "gamer". The flight sim group tend to be older, more sophisticated in their expectations, and of course, they have a history of participating in the development curve.

We know where LM is heading, and more importantly which developers are already on board. If Dovetail marketing was paying attention, they would have learned from other attempts that have not made it out of the gate. I would anticipate that they will be inclined to dialogue with 3rd party developers, who have survived because they listen to their customer base.

Just a few additional thoughts.
    I'll have to disagree with the flight sim group having more sophisticated expectations. Unlike most of you (us?), I am an average gamer, as you put it, and I've seen FS developers get away with and actually be praised for highly unoptimized models/textures that bring even powerful systems to their knees and buggy system implementations that would otherwise bring forth the rage of "average gamers".

I completely agree. Based on the popularity of sophisticated products like A2A and PMDG and VRS and now Milviz. If they aren't more sophisticated and demanding then these groups wouldn't be as successful as they have been and their products aren't cheap...so for a niche market I'd say the majority prefer it speaking with their wallets. All the scenery and terrain add-ons and weather add-ons wouldn't be here if there wasn't a more sophisticated demand for the realism they bring.

Just the fact that there are joysticks rudder pedals and all manner of peripherals available to purchase to play these Sims speaks to the higher level of sophistication present in the user base.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Also, sounds like IF you want your product included it has to go through steam. Period. Meaning no more cool little apps like JoinFS, anything by bjoern, any cool gaugrs like AI carriers...all this would.have to be on steam... what a head ache. What about repaints...Aime said they've gone under the hood to ensure NO backwards compatability...so if venture to guess that they will most definitely control HOW and when content is delivered...

I for one will not be repainting anything for it if I have to go through steam...no thanks. It's a headache I don't want to deal with.

So Likely goodbye freeware sceneries and fun little addins.
    I understand the frustration, but if modders were able to make freeware mods for Steam games like Skyrim, including new textures, new models, new sceneries etc.... why would it be difficult/impossible for FS ?

I dont think its impossible...just a matter of IF FSW will even allow it. Currently it sounds like there is NO SDK, disconnect or similar for.non payware devs. They have a built in editor.type.thing but that doesn't sound like it's going to offer true development for the freeware guy. It's all about DTG and what they are going to allow. Steam isn't the issue it's just another layer to deal with...which may scare away people who dev who simply don't want to deal with them. I certainly don't. But that's just me. P3Dv4+ will certainly bring much more innovation. And remember the P3D developers ARE the former ACES STUDIO guys from MS foe.the most part...so they are developing 100% for the Aviator, not the "gamer". Their business structure doesn't require nickel and diming the consumer for new content.

I'm going to wait and see what happens with the first few people who take the plunge, read reviews and see what happens. If it's just the Carenado show then I'm good. PBR may be implemented but three scenery looks the same asP3D... and my current setup looks better. I have A2A and RealAir which already have jiggly needless and physics... so unless there's something else, something big... I'll be very hesitant to jump ship. Seems like if open development for the little guy was to be a part of it, it would be broadcast as a selling point to the community which was built on 3rd party apps that keeps FSX relevant. Seeing as they have not and they're saying things instead like "I'm not sure, that's part of 3PP group..." those are RED flags and cues that the game is a foot.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

What's really sad: If they a screw this up, there's no one else that can come to the rescue since they own the rights. Low chance they'll ever give that up. I'm prepping for worst hoping for best!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Members who have read this thread: 0