YF-23 PAV 1 v.4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YF-23 PAV 1 v.4

YF-23 PAV 1 v.4

I'm working on a revised texture with more accurate coloring, panel lines details and hand made fonts and unit insignia to achieve the most accurate representation that I can of PAV 1 flight demonstrator. I'm currently out of pocket but I'll post a few images web I'm home tonight.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Looking forward to it. It's a great plane.

Sorry guys! Didnt mean to disappoint...got home much later than expected last night. I'll post images after work today. A little more insight: what to expect, more even color matching. I'm going for something that will look more like the images. Yes, there are color swatches that tell you what the color the ghost grey That was used, but it's very light in the sim....so I'm using that and going just slightly more grey and darker to more evenly match a range of photos and video. I want to say grime, over the unless, but I know it was likely some kind of RAM seal and touch paint that gives the impression of a dirty surf's e area over the inlet. And custom specular to drive home the lighting and make it look as realistic of a material as I can.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Hi Rick, in front of the inlet was actually a porous material that sucked the boundary layer out from in front of the inlet and dumped it over the top of the wing. My guess is it was some sort of dark gray rigid foam.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    Hi Rick, in front of the inlet was actually a porous material that sucked the boundary layer out from in front of the inlet and dumped it over the top of the wing. My guess is it was some sort of dark gray rigid foam.
    Thanks for the info sundog...I'm actually referring to on top of the inlet over the blended fuselage.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Thanks for the info sundog...I'm actually referring to on top of the inlet over the blended fuselage.
    Are you talking about the vent air where that air was vented overboard? There was a permanent "open venting area" between the inlet and the main fuselage on top and there were two doors over each inlet that would open at certain conditions. In ( http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...es/yf-23_4.jpg )this photo it does look much darker on the nacelles behind the vent doors on the nacelles, but I'm not sure why. Although, I can see good wear patterns on PAV-2, in that you can see the dirt easier on the second prototype due to the lighter color. Such as the APU exhaust stain on the bottom center line and some dirt/wear from the vortice coming off the inboard leading edge slat/wing juncture.

Sorry for the late pics....

Redoing my previous PAV1 work. It was one of the very first "paints" I ever tried in FS. I thought it was time to give it some new life again...Color is more matched to images...at least trying to in my eye....The wings are the OLD v3 color. The fuselage is the NEW color match. The speculars are the OLD. NO Dirt and or messy touch up paint marks and seal is added yet to the paint. The speculars that I'm working on will really make this bird pop out...Still EARLY EARLY WIP. Roundel markings and squad markings need orientation adjustment yes yes...I'm aware! lol.

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Thanks Sundog. After looking at this, it too is just slightly too dark. But it's very close. I will go just a tad more blue and just slightly lighter grey. I think that will do it. The hour glass needs a white outline as well...details details....
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Hardest thing is convincing yourself that one photo's colour is more 'accurate' than another's ...as so often they are different...

Bit like that old saying...."a man with 2 watches is never sure of the time".

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Hardest thing is convincing yourself that one photo's colour is more 'accurate' than another's ...as so often they are different...

Bit like that old saying...."a man with 2 watches is never sure of the time".
    So true! However there is video of this beast...the problem is that even if The color is technically correct the sim really washes out the color sometimes and makes things look terrible...im trying to compensate for that just a bit....those dang photos drive me nuts...
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Re the sim washing out the colour....have you set your monitor to a 'colour standard' via one of the online tools that at least try to set a base line?
    People's perception and setting of their monitor in their local surroundings can and does vary dramatically...so what's good on yours may be horrible on another's.

About the only way to be sure is to find empirical documentation of the real animal's RGB colours...and set them accordingly, irrespective of how bad they look...or don't...

Refined Color...

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Gotta admit it's looking pretty darn good.....

....must mean my monitor matches yours....

Thanks. Now to add the dirtier areas...
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Almost finished...adding final specular elements and some missing markings...

Different lighting conditions. Versatile and kind of reacts the way the real one did in photos...with color tone....exciting!

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Looking very nice. I went off and purchased the a/c from Milviz in anticipation of this skin! I remember seeing this aircraft fly at a NAS Miramar airshow in the early 90's. After seeing it fly I thought there was no way Northrop would lose the competition. I've been about as good at picking stocks!
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Released!

You may find v4 in the Warbirds library. completely redone diffuse and specs. Including new patches insignia, custom made fonts, and redone "hourglass" from first flight.

Last edited by Mach3DS; May 13th, 2017 at 15:47.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Cheers Rick

ATB
    DaveB

I should probably state that I made the thing to be completely compatible with P3Dv3. However it will work with FSX but might be a little more contrasted as FSX trends to be more reflective and bright by default thanP3D.. But it shouldn't be very noticeable. Also to get the canopy as in the photo you need to have dynamic reflections set to ON.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Hope you enjoy it everyone. I'm going to do PAV 2 as well. There was a mod done some tume ago with alternate FDE but it no longer works in P3Dv3. I'd like to figure out how to add AN effects and do the GE engine FDE.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Would be nice if some of you could post some screens in FSX. If like to see how it compares in that lighting engine? Any takers?
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Members who have read this thread: 1