FYI

Thread: FYI

FYI

View the 1945 Naval Armada Set to Invade Japan...
    ============================= ============================== ============================== ======
    If you have any interest in WWII info, you may find this very interesting.

Here comes another surprise... It was 1944 and the pictures were not available during the war. The US kept this place unknown to the citizens of the US. This is quite a story!!

This is phenomenal …! An Armada of ships and airplanes poised for the invasion of Japan…that never happened…because President Truman authorized the dropping of “A” bombs at Nagasaki and Hiroshima that resulted in the Japanese surrender. Just think of the American lives that would have been lost had this invasion occurred. Be thankful that we had a President with the courage to make the call. Sadly most Americans today know nothing about this and the sacrifices made by those before us. We are not teaching US history in our schools anymore….

Some great pictures of the Ulithi armada! US Naval armada deployed for invasion of Japan. Keep this for posterity. There will never be another assemblage of naval ships like this again.
    Staging area for the invasion of Japan. Check out the carriers on "Murderer's Row."

If any of you folks had fathers, grandfathers or uncles in the Navy during World War II, they may well have been involved in this operation, given the tremendous number of the ships and personnel involved.

You may also recognize them in some of the photos.

Click below:

http://www.warbirdinformatione xchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic. php?f=3&t=52966

Thank you for this info John. I will take a good look at it later.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Great pics. Thanks John. Seen some before, but most are new to me. The one of the USS North Carolina is one I've never seen.

Reply...

John,

This is an outstanding resource, the pics are incredible! Thanks for sharing!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Thanks for the heads-up. The pictures are great. I remember my Dad telling me about how he and the squadron of minesweepers he commanded stopped in Utlithi on their way to the environs of Japan. I once did a version of Ulithi Atoll that included renditions of Mog-Mog, Sorlen, Asor and the airfield on Falalop. Either this website wasn't around at the time or I missed it.

It's amazing what a vast number and array of ships were in the US fleet at the time. During the 50s and 60s many - and I mean tons of them - were moth-balled here in San Diego Bay, south of the 32nd Street Naval Station. My Old-Man used to take us down there and we would drive along and look at them. Slowly but surely over the years they were sold for scrap or whatever and now of course they are all long gone.

MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

The Japanese had a (bad and ineffective) solutionhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakajima_Ki-115

Very good pictures

One sees well only with the heart. The essential is invisible to the eyes (Antoine de Saint Exupéry)

If you fly the VF-19 Satan's Kittens campaign, you will fly your last mission from the Falalop Island airfield across the anchorage.

This is an eye candy mission, take off from a packed and active airfield, airborn CAP circling the harbor, ships crowding the harbor, patrolling destroyers, flying a course over carriers with loaded decks of Hellcats and Avengers, and landing on the Enterprise with her forward deck full of parked aircraft with wings folded.

Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Quote Originally Posted by MaskRider View Post
    ...I once did a version of Ulithi Atoll that included renditions of Mog-Mog, Sorlen, Asor and the airfield on Falalop...
    Hmmm...I either missed this one or installed it in one of your "bundle" packages along with other eye candy which absorbed my attention.

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!
    Hiya BC,

Yes, it was in the original Micronesia API-Macro package. It would also be included in any subsequent enhancement/enlargements to that pack- prior Richard's mesh and masks pack.

It would be a nice and relatively easy one to one to bring up to date.

Lindsay one time did some nice lighted buoys that would be great for marking out the channels, anchorages and such.

MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

... of course earlier in the war it was so much quieter ...

Wwii

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    ... of course earlier in the war it was so much quieter ...
    Thanks to you all for all your response to this.
    I never knew that we had such a force. That was just great!
    John

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Book "Aircraft Carrier" by J. Bryan III gives a good description of R&R at Ulithi. Beer was warm, 3.2, but after being "dry" for many months that didn't matter much to the sailors. Everyone limited to, I think, two bottles each for the day. The Navy did its best to give them someplace to go to take a well-deserved break but I'm sure the sentiment among many - especially the Old Salts - was that Ulithi liberty was like getting liberty stateside but spending it all at the Brooklyn Navy Yard, like the old Chief said in "Away All Boats" - an excellent film if you can find it, BTW.

Mississinewa was indeed the only ship struck by a suicide torpedo at Ulithi. Ship sank, 63 men lost. Only a slight foretaste of what potentially awaited the USN if Olympic/Coronet had occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by MaskRider View Post
    Hiya BC,

Yes, it was in the original Micronesia API-Macro package. It would also be included in any subsequent enhancement/enlargements to that pack- prior Richard's mesh and masks pack.

It would be a nice and relatively easy one to one to bring up to date.

Lindsay one time did some nice lighted buoys that would be great for marking out the channels, anchorages and such.

MR

Hey, i found Ulithi Falalop lurking in your Micronesia_100707 package. Don't know how i missed it...awesome! Looking forward to your continued work.

Nice pic UncleT. The atoll layout and coral texturing is spot on. Is that a private install or something else i've missed in the public domain?

BC,

It was in reality a shameless plug for my Carolines scenery from 2012 (didn't realise it was that old... how time flies). Put it together with my New Britain & New Ireland sceneries & go fly from Truk to Rabaul, or Kavieng...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=45&id=13451

Yeah, i remember it well. Tried to install it but as i recall there were some issues with items on the deactivation list or maybe it was the Rhumba mesh and regional coastline problems. Can't remember exactly but i had to pass, but was able to keep JB's Truk intact.

Members who have read this thread: 0