Seen at RAF Bicester

Thread: Seen at RAF Bicester

Seen at RAF Bicester

Some new-fangled bird, nobody's allowed near, but it's got two of everything ... except guns. It's got four of them and they don't look like Brownings, old boy. Very hush-hush!

(first export to CFS3, went better than I expected!)
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Very cool!

It looks all set to go up on a starry night.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    A awesome addition. Can't wait to see her fully clothed !!

LOL that's a big improvement since the last time I saw it Tom, looks very nice!
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

WOW!! Very Impressive

Yes!! Another wonderful new aircraft!!

(Technical (modelling) question: Based on the colours, it seems as if the wheels are made out of different gmax parts (hub, thread, left & right side walls). If so, what's the rationale behind such modelling? Why not make the wheels out of a single cylinder? If the colour is so because you have already textured it, forget I asked)

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

the texture on the right side is not ... thgiR

jk,

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Yes!! Another wonderful new aircraft!!

(Technical (modelling) question: Based on the colours, it seems as if the wheels are made out of different gmax parts (hub, thread, left & right side walls). If so, what's the rationale behind such modelling? Why not make the wheels out of a single cylinder? If the colour is so because you have already textured it, forget I asked)
    Not different parts, different mappings using different material IDs. The tyre tread is cylindrically mapped, the sides planar mapped and the different selections are marked with what I call a Harlequin multi-material. It's a method which allows you to see which selections of polys belong to which mapping before getting lost in Poly Select modifiers. The wheels haven't been textured yet.

You'll find this in UVW Mapping in Gmax Part 3

Quote Originally Posted by Corrado5834 View Post
    the texture on the right side is not ... thgiR

jk,
    Are you suggesting it's gnorw? LOL The texture sheet is rather tightly packed and having one side a mirror image helps to pack everything in. An earlier stage of the mapping was in a recent thread.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Not different parts, different mappings using different material IDs. The tyre tread is cylindrically mapped, the sides planar mapped and the different selections are marked with what I call a Harlequin multi-material. It's a method which allows you to see which selections of polys belong to which mapping before getting lost in Poly Select modifiers. The wheels haven't been textured yet.

Thanks for that, Tom!
    I downloaded and browsed through your other tutorials in that series and my head is spinning!! It's so completely different from what I did with my buildings. But it's good to learn new techniques and use more of gmax' capabilities. So I'll see if I can put that to use with the P-47.

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

I've always thought this plane was cool, excited to see it brought to life!

Blog Entries
    So pleased to see this Tom, and a thing of beauty she is too!
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Members who have read this thread: 0