New computer help re. XPlane 11.

Thread: New computer help re. XPlane 11.

New computer help re. XPlane 11.

After YEARS of being a MSFS user and fan, I believe I'm going to jump over to XPlane 11. Biggest reason of course is continued product development of the XPlane series vs. the outdated FSX/Prepar3D product. I don't mean to bash the MSFS series, as it's provided me with years of enjoyment. However, time and technology marches on. So, my question is, I'm in need of replacing my completely and utterly outdated Dell XPS. I'm looking at one of Dell's all-in-one 27" systems for space saving reasons (I have limited desktop space). Having never used XPlane, and since XPlane 11 is a new product, I was wondering what kind of specs I should seek in a new system in order to run XPlane 11 with relatively high graphics settings? I'm not necessarily looking for full on 60fps with the highest graphics settings flying through downtown Manhattan, but I'd like to be able to see on the order of 24-30 fps 90+% of the time.
    Any input is welcome, with the exception of slamming Dell (I've had great luck with them over the years).
    Thanks
    Cheers,
    Dave

Blog Entries
    I worked for a division of Dell called TechCor as a QC systems engineer in Austin before it was dissolved. Their gaming systems sucked until they bought out Alienware gaming systems. For X-Plane 11 you want lots of RAM 16gb minimum and lots of Video RAM 4 to 8GBs and a fast CPU i5 or i7 or even Ryzen R5 or R7. Hope this helps...
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    I worked for a division of Dell called TechCor as a QC systems engineer in Austin before it was dissolved. Their gaming systems sucked until they bought out Alienware gaming systems. For X-Plane 11 you want lots of RAM 16gb minimum and lots of Video RAM 4 to 8GBs and a fast CPU i5 or i7 or even Ryzen R5 or R7. Hope this helps...
    Ted
    It does - very much. Thanks! One of my concerns with an all in one is the quality of the video card.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DaveKDEN View Post
    It does - very much. Thanks! One of my concerns with an all in one is the quality of the video card.
    I use an average I7 (16 Gb RAM) with the nvidia GTX 1070 video card in SDR mode. Crisp textures, straight lines in both the model and shadows. About 30-40 frames over London with photoreal scenery, additional buildings, modified skycolours and clouds in the MLADG Bf109 G2. So I would go for an 1070 or 1080.

Paul

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ftl818 View Post
    I use an average I7 (16 Gb RAM) with the nvidia GTX 1070 video card in SDR mode. Crisp textures, straight lines in both the model and shadows. About 30-40 frames over London with photoreal scenery, additional buildings, modified skycolours and clouds in the MLADG Bf109 G2. So I would go for an 1070 or 1080.

Paul
    I agree...or an R7 AMD but the Nvidia graphics look so much better than AMD! If money is a factor this card is acceptable MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 4GB GDDR5 Video Card

You could also use an Nivida GTX 970 SC 4GB VRAM minimum!
    Ted
    Last edited by txnetcop; April 28th, 2017 at 05:12.

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    I have had excellent running with XP11 and P3D using the https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16819113428 with 16 gigs of ram and a nvidia GTX 1080 8g's. Matter in fact the last fact the last driver's cured my P3D VAS and it is very stable and happy. XP11 is becoming my go to sim, just waiting for addons to catch up to P3D. Till then Im rotating between the sims. Found some great deals on Parts too here in Green Bay, when I was down in San Antonio it was hard to find parts and deals for some reason.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CG_1976 View Post
    I have had excellent running with XP11 and P3D using the https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16819113428 with 16 gigs of ram and a nvidia GTX 1080 8g's. Matter in fact the last fact the last driver's cured my P3D VAS and it is very stable and happy. XP11 is becoming my go to sim, just waiting for addons to catch up to P3D. Till then Im rotating between the sims. Found some great deals on Parts too here in Green Bay, when I was down in San Antonio it was hard to find parts and deals for some reason.
    When I lived in San Antonio I had to go to Austin to MicroCenter and Fry's Electronics to get great deals...
    Ted

Members who have read this thread: 0