SAMM Conundrum

Thread: SAMM Conundrum

SAMM Conundrum

Is there a way to get SAMM to produce a single static object "bgl" and corresponding textures without the ridiculous subfolders being involved? At one time I produced 5 statics for my North Texas Regional Airport and all I have in that scenery are the bgl's for the aircraft and the corresponding textures in the texture folder.

Now it seems SAMM wants to add subfolders with the aircraft name that include the original textures then an additional folder with the aircraft name plus "%", plus ";ALL".

I tried loading the mdl file that SAMM produces into MCX and working with the textures that I placed in the main texture folder, recompile the airplane to call those textures and not the odd setup that SAMM seems to be so fond of. Still doesn't work, when I try to use the static object in IS3 it's black. This happens whether I'm in FSX or P3D.

There's gotta be a way to simplify this so that you end up with a scenery object (the static aircraft) and the textures (in the texture folder).
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Ed, I do exactly what you describe in MCX and it works fine for me using ADE or SBX for placement.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    Ed, I do exactly what you describe in MCX and it works fine for me using ADE or SBX for placement.
    Dimus, I went back and tried it again and this time it worked. . .no idea why it gave me problems before. I have come to several conclusions though;
    1) If you intend to do more than one or two for a particular scenery then individual sub-folders would be necessary (it eliminates the chance of duplicate texture names over multiple aircraft).
    2) Don't use complex aircraft, especially those for FSX or P3D where bumps and specs are involved. You can omit them but the aircraft isn't usable and with them you increase the number of textures needed just to display a static aircraft
    3) Don't have transparent glass. Opaque looks odd, but it keeps you from having to include all the interior textures, or at least those that are visible as you taxi by or park next to the static airplane.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Agree about the glass Ed. I usually assign a silvery color and increase the reflection scale in MCX. Many models also have a pilot figure and it looks odd for a static so opaque glass hides that. Finally, I always change the object name and GUI before compiling to bgl, especially if I want to make different liveries of the same plane.

Hi Ed:

I just saw this thread subsequent to our brief discussion at FSDeveloper in the SAMM forum:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/thr...o-long.439952/

Perhaps one may disable a cockpit for FS9 aircraft within a COPY of a 1-piece MDL before processing via SAMM or MCX ?

https://www.google.com/#q=FS9+aircra...isable+cockpit

GaryGB

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    3) Don't have transparent glass. Opaque looks odd, but it keeps you from having to include all the interior textures, or at least those that are visible as you taxi by or park next to the static airplane.
    With MCX/material editor and selecting canopy texture file, did you try the option "Set default transparent" ?

Members who have read this thread: 0