Dcs f/a-18c - Page 4
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Dcs f/a-18c

***mini update***
    "
    A few years ago, I had the pleasure of visiting Lemoore NAS to get some time in one of their F/A-18C dome sims. It was a great experience and provided a great perspective to flying the Hornet. One item that caught me though was just how fragile the gear doors can be when over-sped. Today, we added this as a new damage element to our Hornet.

As mentioned in this week’s newsletter, progress on the Hornet is moving along quickly with much of the work focused on the air-to-air radar modes, defensive systems, INS waypoint navigation, and flight dynamics / Flight Control Computer. Our next Hornet academic video will instruct on Hornet TACAN and ADF navigation."

Thanks,
    Matt “Wags” Wagner

Senior Producer

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Patrick

Back in 1990, I was part of a 4 man civilian PLST team at our local field which was tasked with refueling the Blue Angels with their early F/A-18A's (and lone B model). I recall the maintenance team giving extra scrutiny to the Lead and Opposing Solo aircraft. They told me that #5 had higher wear on the landing gear bay doors due to the Dirty Roll maneuver on takeoff. They told me that the door hinges and actuator rods & fasteners weren't overly speed sensitive extended as they were significantly fragile to actuation movement at high speeds. Just out of curiosity, what is the absolute gear down/actuation speed limit coded in for this model?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    Back in 1990, I was part of a 4 man civilian PLST team at our local field which was tasked with refueling the Blue Angels with their early F/A-18A's (and lone B model). I recall the maintenance team giving extra scrutiny to the Lead and Opposing Solo aircraft. They told me that #5 had higher wear on the landing gear bay doors due to the Dirty Roll maneuver on takeoff. They told me that the door hinges and actuator rods & fasteners weren't overly speed sensitive extended as they were significantly fragile to actuation movement at high speeds. Just out of curiosity, what is the absolute gear down/actuation speed limit coded in for this model?
    Hello Storm,I would imagine DCS are doing an accurate Hornet based on Boeing and NATOPS data,Looking through The F/A-18 ABCD NATOPS Manual I found this...

"7.3.2 Approach. See figure 7-2. Enter the pattern as prescribed by local course rules. At the break,reduce thrust and extend the speedbrake (if required). As the airspeed decreases through 250 knots,lower the landing gear and place the FLAP switch to FULL and ensure that speedbrake is retracted.Retract speedbrake, if extended. Decelerate to on-speed, and compare airspeed and angle of attack.Complete the landing checklist. Roll into the base leg and establish a rate of descent, maintainingon-speed AOA. On-speed without external stores and 2,000 pounds of internal fuel is about 125 knots.Add about 2.5 knots for each 1,000 pounds increase in fuel and stores. Rate of descent can beestablished using the velocity vector on the HUD to set the glide-slope. Avoid overcontrolling thethrottles as thrust response is immediate. Compensate for crosswind by crabbing the aircraft into thewind on final approach. "

So Im thinking 250 knots or less?? This seems high to me though,Maybe someone with more knowledge of the aircraft can chime to n?

Patrick

Yeah, that's what I read as well. The Blue's maintenance techs mentioned they could exceed that speed with the gear out, just not actuate retraction/extension above those speeds. I took note that the Lead Solo would start off his TO run in full burner but retard the power to a lower burner zone. At GO (rotation), start the initial climb at the same power setting, center the control/pitch, start the full deflection 360 degree Dirty Roll and at wings level, pull the pitch/AoA up and go into max burner to arrest the sink rate. After that, the pilot would enter a 30 degree bank (correction, more like a 60 degree bank) clearing turn, go wings level and begin a steep climb (only then retracting the gear). The other maneuver the Blues perform gear down is the Diamond Dirty Loop which is impressive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj1oqHXFdtw

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

***mini update***

"Under the category of small details, we implemented differential engine modeling this week. Rather than each engine underlying modeling and IFEI indication for RPM, EGT, FF, and OIL PSI being the same, they are now modeled as separate, dynamic entities. While this may seem like a rather small thing, it has required quite a bit of work, but we feel it will provide a much more realistic modeling of the F-404 EPs. In the end, this was a must-do.

Thanks,
    Matt “Wags” Wagner
    Senior Produ"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Patrick

This jet is going to be awesome! I am really excited for the release.

Back in the Hawg at the moment, and I am loving that too.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

I signed up for this (the F/A-18) because I bought the Warthog many years ago and have watched the continued improvement over time. It is a very nice simulator now, but not at all simple. My problem is I have not flown it enough to live more than 2 minutes in any conflict! Does anyone know of a DCS A-10C "made simple" book, idiot's guide or something similar that can be printed and referred to while flying? The documentation supplied by DCS is voluminous, but not very enlightening to this idiot.
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Quote Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post
    I signed up for this (the F/A-18) because I bought the Warthog many years ago and have watched the continued improvement over time. It is a very nice simulator now, but not at all simple. My problem is I have not flown it enough to live more than 2 minutes in any conflict! Does anyone know of a DCS A-10C "made simple" book, idiot's guide or something similar that can be printed and referred to while flying? The documentation supplied by DCS is voluminous, but not very enlightening to this idiot.

You are very harsh on yourself.

I am of course still learning too, but I learned what I do know mostly by flying the tutorial missions quite a few times and also the Georgian Hammer campaign several times. I find the campaigns to be great learning tools for DCS World as they kind of throw you in to the deep end, but have a gradual increase in difficulty. In saying that it was/is quite often I would need to look something up in the manuals, or need to re-fly a tutorial on something specific. As with all the DCS World aircraft, I will often forget things when I haven't flown it in a while.

I am currently flying the A-10C Red Flag campaign, and again I am learning things as I go. I needed to look up info on the comms for the last few missions.

A really good guide which you should keep handy is "Chuck's A-10C Warthog Guide"

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=143954

Chuck has produced really concise and handy manuals for most DCS Aircraft, and I would suggest getting the guide for each aircraft you fly.

Cheers,
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

*** Mini Update***
    "Over the past several months there has been a lot of work going on behind the scenes that has been confined to code… nothing visible to really show. More recently, more and more of this work is now being tied together and integrated into the larger simulation. The included screen shot shows some of this work:

- Air Combat Maneuvering (ACM) modes. The Hornet has several ACM modes that include boresight acq, vertical acq, wide acq, and long range auto acq. In the image, you can see vertical acq selected, illustrated on the HUD and attack display. Much of the radar effort is currently focused on Single Track Target (STT) logic.

- Not as obvious in this image, but target aging is also now implemented. Unlike our current implementation of air-to-air radar that is based on target IDs, the Hornet moves us to a much more realistic air-to-air radar model that faithfully simulates the radar beam.

- On the Azimuth Display (aka RWR scope), we now have detection logic working that uses a much improved simulation of radar detection. In a related matter, the Control Indicator Panel is also now function that allows the Azimuth Display and DDI EW page to tailor the displays. This also includes the correct BIT.

- On the left DDI you will note that waypoint data is now displayed on the HSI with the ability to select one of five sequences. You may also notice TACAN and ADF information is also displayed.

In the second image, you can observe some improvements we are making to the reflective properties of the displays.

Thanks,
    Matt “Wags” Wagner
    Senior Producer"

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Patrick

***Bit O.T**.
    Thought I'd share this with some of you future DCS Hornet Drivers....
    https://fighterpilotpodcast.com/

Retired Navy Hornet Aviator has a podcast discussing everything Hornet/Naval Aviation related .

Patrick

Thought this would be interesting to post here.Differences between Hornet Lot #. The DCS Hornet will be based on a F/A-18C Lot#20.

Differences between LOTS
    (lot means production year of the airframe, each lot includes previous upgrades etc )

Lot 12.
    The Lot 12 series F/A-18, introduced in FY90, provided the

F/A-18 with a night attack capability.
    This was accomplished by providing NVG compatible

cockpit lighting and displays, a thermal imaging navigation set, digital map set, multipurpose color displays, and a raster HUD. In addition, an independent aft cockpit capability was included for the two-seat F/A-18D (USMC) version.

Lot 13.

The Lot 13 series F/A-18 was introduced in FY91. The enhancements provided by this Lot included the OBOGS, which replaced the lox converter. The NACES and SEWARS were added and armament capabilities were enhanced through the additional hardware provisions for AGM-86 Harpoon and AGM-84 Stand-off Land Attack Missile. The Inertial Navigation System (INS) was also upgraded to the AN/ASN-139 that uses ring laser gyro technology.

Lot 14.

The Lot 14 series F/A-18 was introduced in FY92. This update added full AN/ARC-210 HAVEQUICK/SINCGARS VHF FM Radio provisions to the aircraft and the AN/AAS-38A FLIR/LDT was also incorporated into the F/A-18. Additionally, the Deployable Flight Incident Recorder Set (DFIRS) provides non-volatile storage of the last 30 minutes of flight incident data in a deployable unit.

Lot 15.

Delivered in FY93, the Lot 15 series F/A-18 integrated an enhanced engine into the airframe. The F404-GE-400 Power Plant was replaced by the F404- GE-402 EPE. The new engine provided increased power, coupled with reduced fuel consumption. Additionally, the XN-8 Mission Computer and the 91 series Operational Flight
    Program (OFP) were introduced.

Lot 16.
    The enhancements provided by the Lot 16 series F/A-18, which was introduced in FY94, included the integration of the AN/APG-73 Radar Upgrade (RUG) Phase I. The primary improvements provided by the AN/APG-73 RUG Phase I were increased Electronic Counter Countermeasures capabilities, increased memory and processing
    speed of the signal and data processing functions, and increased receiver bandwidth combining to provide growth capabilities for incorporation of advanced radar modes. The AN/ARC-210 HAVEQUICK/SINCGARS VHF FM Radio was also installed along with the LAU-115 Launcher improvements and incorporation of the 09 (formerly 93) series OFP.I-10

Lot 17.

In FY95, the Cockpit Video Recording System (CVRS) and the AN/AAS-38B Advanced FLIR were introduced. Additionally, there were provisions added for the GPS.

Lot 18.

Lot 18 series F/A-18 were delivered in FY96 and included the GPS, the AN/ALE-47 Countermeasures Dispensing Set, and a sixth avionics multiplexer bus. Additionally, the 11 series OFP was introduced.

Lot19.

Introduced in FY97, Lot XIX series F/A-18C/D Aircraft received a Stores Management System upgrade and an AN/APX- 111(V) Combined Interrogator- Transponder (CIT).

Lot 20.

In FY98, Lot 20 series F/A-18C/D Aircraft were delivered, integrating the Phase II AN/APG-73 RUG, ATARS, Joint Direct Attack Munitions, Joint Stand Off Weapon, and EGI to meet the precision navigation capability that future weapon systems require. EGI provides an all-altitude, worldwide source of navigation and attitude information.

Lot 21.
    One F/A-18E Aircraft was delivered in fourth quarter FY99 at NAS Lemoore and included a modified airframe, new engines, and an additional weapons station under each wing. The Lot XXI aircraft also incorporated a low drag pylon, AN/ALE-47 dispensers, AN/ALE-50 Chaff Dispenser, XN-8 Mission Computer, AN/ARC- 210(V) VHF FM Radio Set, GPS, AN/ALR-67(V3) Radar Warning Receiver, and a modified FCC. F/A-18E/F Low Rate Initial Production (LRIP) 1 are equipped with the AN/APX- 100(V) Identification Friend or Foe (IFF) vice the AN/APX-111(V) CIT.

Lot 22.

Lot 22 began LRIP 2 in third quarter FY00 for the F/A-18E/F, which included the AN/APX- 111(V) CIT and Advanced Tactical Forward Looking Infra Red.

Lot 23.

Lot 23 began delivery in first quarter FY01 with the Digital Communication System (DCS), Radio Frequency Defensive Electronic Countermeasures (RF DECM), Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System, and Tactical Aircraft Moving Map Capability (TAMMAC

Patrick

Pat, thanks for the update. I wish they would just release the beauty. I realize DCS has a mixed bag of reviews on some of their previous releases (Hawk especially). Everything you showcase just proves this thing is already leaps and bounds beyond anything released after the A-10.

It always amazes me how many virtual pilots critic their products as though they somehow have real world aviation experience in that actual airframe....hence why I no longer read simhq.com's forums. Too much toxicity.

Now, release the damn thing DCS. I have my cake, now I want to eat it too.......
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by scotth6 View Post
    A really good guide which you should keep handy is "Chuck's A-10C Warthog Guide"

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=143954

Chuck has produced really concise and handy manuals for most DCS Aircraft, and I would suggest getting the guide for each aircraft you fly.
    Thanks Scott.
    Jay
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

F/A-18C Shipping Details

I got an email today that stated Eagle Dynamics added shipping details (to the account I used for payment). Does that mean the aircraft is soon to be shipped to end users? One can only hope!
    Jay

Hello Jay,Can You tell us more about your email and shipping details?This is the first I heard of a pinned down release date,and it would be great news since the earliest date given by DCS is in April.

I need to wait for The Hornet to go on sale at full price in order to use a DCS coupon I've been holding on to.So I didn't partake in The Early Release program.

**Some Hornet pics from DCS**

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post
    I got an email today that stated Eagle Dynamics added shipping details (to the account I used for payment). Does that mean the aircraft is soon to be shipped to end users? One can only hope!
    How do you mean shipping details? Surely the product is provided as a download through an update to DCS as usual.

I would be a bit wary if I got that email.

Cheers,

I just went and checked my email and I didn't receive anything like this (indicating a release date). The only thing close to that was the original invoice but nothing notated like mentioned here. Looking at the current progression (and my own experience in development/testing), I'd tend to think mid to late May. If it's ready by late April, that's all the more great.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Basically, here is what the email said -

Dear Jay _-_-_-_,
    Eagle Dynamics SA added shipping details. Please note that the tracking information and shipping status are shown exactly as the seller entered them.
    Shipper
    Tracking number No Shipment Tracking
    Shipping status Order Processed
    Not much about shipping and no shipping date, but I just thought it unusual because I purchased the item about a month ago. If I get anything definite I will post.

BTW, the shots posted by Phantom reinforce my purchase decision. They look fantastic.
    Jay

Thank You Jay,Who knows....maybe DCS is selecting a Very Lucky few to receive The Hornet Early in hopes of posting pics/reviews and....Getting The Hype Train Going!!! Haha Anyway,Thank You for info,Cheers!!

Patrick

Great vid and his delivery is very instructor like, a few things reversed for final (power-glide slope/pitch-speed,AoA). Early buyer so I should probably get my gaming rig ready!
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

I'll be flying one of these soon

I put these pics in the screenshot thread too, but thought I would add them here. I love flying my A-10C. I've been doing the Red Flag campaign lately, but I have found myself eyeing off the Hornets more and more as I taxi out since I pre ordered.

Wow, holy high-alpha pass!!!
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Members who have read this thread: 0