Dcs f/a-18c - Page 13
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Dcs f/a-18c

Hello Dimus and Scott.when you hit reply look on top of txt box,there are 2 icons,a pic frame for pictures,and a film clip to embed video,The jackpot joke was a much needed laugh in these tense times,

Patrick

Great to see Wags Posting…I was getting a little Worried
    " Dear all,

One of the biggest new items in development for the Hornet is the Air-to-Ground (AG) radar. We will start with the Real Beam MAP mode, and then implement other modes that include Ground Moving Target (GMT), Sea Search (SEA), and Terrain Avoidance (TA).
    Today was a milestone in that we introduced the AG radar rendering into our internal development version (what we term the trunk). This is still very much work-in-progress, but as we flesh it out, I’ll be sure to bring you updates.
    Kind regards,
    Matt

Attached Thumbnails

Patrick

I'm going to need to go back to ground school to learn about all these systems.

BTW thanks for the advice re embedding a video Patrick. Much appreciated.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Cheers Scott...You're very Welcome and Thank You for Mentioning

***Mini Update***

"
    Dear Community and Hornet Pilots,

Today I would like to discuss with you our DCS: F/A-18C Hornet roadmap. We look forward to working with you in a constructive and efficient manner to create an achievable and transparent roadmap that covers the features to be delivered by the end of 2020 that will bring the Hornet out of Early Access.

I have also included the features that we plan to work on in 2021 to sustain the Hornet after Early Access completion.

DCS: F/A-18C Out of Early Access Features:

1. Completion of the Litening Targeting Pod (to be delivered with next update)
    2. Dynamic launch zone, AUTO mode for JDAM (to be delivered with next update)
    3. AG radar. MAP + Fixed Target Track (FTT) (to be delivered with next update)
    4. SLAM air-to-surface missile (to be delivered in next update)
    5. [ complex ] AG radar. EXP modes (1-2-3), GMT and GMTT modes, and SEA search mode
    6. [ difficult ] Azimuth / Elevation air-to-air radar mode with AUTO IFF modes
    7. [ difficult ] Coupled autopilot modes
    8. [ difficult ] ACLS mode
    9. [ difficult ] Datalink symbols, EW symbols, and AG mode for JHMCS
    10. [ normal ] Correct possible flare number loaded
    11. [ normal ] ASPJ ECM jammer
    12. [ normal ] Adjust countermeasure programs when on ground
    13. [ normal ] Mark points
    14. [ normal ] Offset waypoints
    15. [ difficult ] SLAM-ER air-to-surface missile
    16. [ difficult ] Harpoon, SEA radar directed mode (FTT)
    17. [ iterations during 2020 until completed] Update flight model for ground effect, takeoff pitch effects, auto-pilot based on FPM, touch and go handling, and other remaining flight model issues

Complex - 12-20 weeks of development
    Difficult - 4-8 weeks of development
    Normal - 2-3 weeks of development

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet Improvements in 2021:

1. Jamming targets not displayed on radar, should be in dugout
    2. Aircraft Setup Card in Options
    3. Mission Card for 60 waypoints with properties (Sequence 1, 2, 3, PP, PB, Initial, etc.)
    4. RWS RAID air-to-air radar sub-mode missing
    5. Radar SPOT mode
    6. AG radar interleaved mode (SEA and GMT)
    7. AG radar. AGR (air to ground ranging) mode
    8. HARM Pre-Briefed mode
    9. GBU-32 JDAM
    10. Select AA and AG on ground
    11. TALD decoy
    12. AIM-7P
    13. Mk-77 firebomb
    14. GBU-24 Paveway III LGB
    15. IN LAR cue is missing
    16. The missing function of WIDE radar auto acquisition mode, cannot slew it
    17. UFC BU page
    18. Flight member TGT ground target SA page symbol missing
    19. Fuel BIT (FLBIT) Page
    20. MUMI Page
    21. Gun sparks at night
    22. INS / GPS full simulation and alignment (carrier and ground)
    23. LOFT modes, ARM, JPF, and other JDAM and JSOW remaining functions
    24. BDU-45 Training Bomb
    25. GEN-X decoy
    26. S/A and AUTO countermeasure modes
    27. ATFLIR

We decided to first focus on the most difficult features to develop and finish them this year. This, however, will slow down our F-16C Viper development efforts. However, F-16C will continue to be updated in 2020, and it will receive updates to the targeting pod, updates for HUD and HSD, steerpoint creation, and the addition of more weapons.

We are open and look forward to your comments and requests. Let’s discuss it and finalize the plan!

Sincerely,
    The Eagle Dynamics Team

Patrick

From Wags
    *Dear all,

Thank you for all the insightful and helpful comments received over the past few days pertaining to F/A-18 and Early Access. Please allow me to address the most common questions and concerns we have identified.
    We believe in the Early Access business model and the value that Community involvement brings at an early stage:
    It gets the product into quality user hands swiftly which focuses the dev team. Despite the occasional ‘pitchforks and burning ceremonies’ we sometimes witness, the value of reading the ‘good, the bad and the ugly’ is immense. This generates buzz internally and externally which is good for moral and general awareness.
    It generates funding which we couldn’t raise in existing capital markets for such a relatively small and rather niche genre.
    It makes the product into a ‘Community Venture’ for all those involved, users, devs and investors alike.
    It generates Community opportunities for those who wish to create large Sub Communities, YT and FB Channels and Forums (even Reddit is ultimately a commercial venture).

Complex products such as Hornet and Viper often go through rough patches. This is mainly due to limited resource availability, productivity variability and the unknown unknowns we encounter along the way. Despite the experience we have accumulated in DCS after approximately 5 million man-hours invested, 3.3 million lines of C++ code and 1.4 million lines of LUA currently in the build (without empty lines), it is not uncommon that devs and their managers overestimate productivity expectations to a certain degree. As quality is the key driver to delivering acceptable update satisfaction, we often find ourselves between a rock and a hard place, especially as we are compelled to deliver to an ever content-hungry clientele and to a growing customer base which today is in excess of 300,000 active monthly users and 55,000 daily users. Despite the obvious complexity of aircraft such as the Viper and Hornet, we have delivered in excess of 40,000 and 85,000 units respectively to-date and this is in no small way thanks to the community’s passion, involvement and willingness to try out such products early and to actively participate in the overall development story. (Note: a total of 2 million products were shipped in the previous 15 years and approx. 400,000 in 2019.)
    May I also draw your attention to the less visible side of Early Access and that is user-generated content. Without the thousands and thousands of community created missions, addons, skins and in particular the massive number of videos available online and the tens of millions of views generated during this ongoing Early Access phase, there is simply no way that we would have been able to build the level of awareness and excitement which we have witnessed to-date. This aspect is an important factor in the growth and sustainability of the hardcore simulator genre. Consider this carefully, you are the ones participating with us in the growth of our hobby and this truly is the enabling factor in our common destiny.
    But let’s take a small step back and ensure we all agree on the meaning of Early Access. Despite a small number of customers believing that it means ‘feature complete’, the term seems to be self-evident. In fact, it is not defined by us but to us from our friends at Steam. It is one that we will continue to adhere to for the sake of clarity and the avoidance of doubt:
    “Steam Early Access enables you to sell your game on Steam while it is still being developed and provide context to customers that a product should be considered “unfinished”. Early Access is a place for games that are in a playable alpha or beta state, are worth the current value of the playable build, and that you plan to continue to develop for release.”
    This definition is quite clear and valuable. Delivering a product with the qualifier “Early Access” helps set the context for prospective customers as it provides them with information about the initial state of completeness in addition to describing our aspirations and objectives. The term Early Access ensures that customers fully understand and recognize that they are getting involved with a ‘work in progress’.
    We believe that by the end of this year, the Hornet will no longer be in an early stage of development and hence we will qualify it as ‘Out of Early Access’. This does not mean that we will stop working on it by any means. It is a definition to assist the prospective Buyer in understanding the status of the product by qualifying its late development status. It is not destined as a message to existing users attempting to shy away from any further investment.
    However, in the light of the recent concerns voiced by certain members of our Community and in order to respect your wishes, we have released a survey inviting you to actively participate in ranking the 40 plus features we believe are key to the future roadmap of the Hornet. The results of this poll will form an important decision-making factor for our resource allocation from here on and will be the reporting benchmark that we will set our dates to.
    A few additional items that we feel might be of interest to you:
    We have decided to focus more of our energies on the Hornet until the end of 2020 and as such the Viper will need to be on a slower burn, but development will by no means be suspended. We hired a new engineer to work on new weapons such as Maverick, JDAM/JSOW, and HARM, and they will continue full steam ahead in addition to system capabilities such as steerpoint creation (not just modification) and updates to the targeting pod such as Cursor Zero (CZ).
    HOTAS commands are certainly an item we will continue to work on but as I am sure most of you understand, these are highly dependent on the actual availability of a system modes, sensors and weapons. Therefore, we will address this feature as part of the specific weapon, sensor, and avionics task, rather than as a single HOTAS catch-all feature.
    While we certainly understand the desire for the ATFLIR, we decided to place it in the Out of Early Access list as the Listening TGP will provide virtually all the same functionality. We first wish to prioritize unique Hornet features that are not in place anywhere in the program. However, we do look forward to reviewing the upcoming poll on this matter and will discuss the findings openly.
    Following an in-depth review of all Hornet stores, it was judged that several items such as sea mines and Shrike were of limited value in the simulation. Whilst it might be still of interest to the highest purists in the Community, we would like to consider including these at some later point to be agreed.

Thank you again for all your support and continued feedback. We are grateful for your passion and commitment; without you where would we be?
    Fly safe,
    Matt

Patrick

**small update from todays weekend news**
    "
    The Raytheon AN/APG-73 radar is also used to map, navigate, locate and designate moving
    land and sea targets. Our initial AG radar release will include the Ground Map (MAP) mode
    with target designation. The EXP sub-modes will be added at a later date."

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dcs-world-f18-aytheon-an-apg-73.jpg   dcs-world-f18-aytheon-an-apg-73-day.jpg   dcs-world-raytheon-f18-hornet-ag-radar.jpg  

Patrick

***Mini Update***

"
    Dear All,

We are planning to deliver the Open Beta update tomorrow, May 20.
    According to the previous post we planned to have:

1. Completion of the Litening Targeting Pod
    2. Dynamic launch zone, AUTO mode for JDAM
    3. AG radar. MAP + Fixed Target Track (FTT)
    4. SLAM air-to-surface missile

All the features are done but we can't technically include AG radar due to terrain enhancements we made for better radar realism that currently break our third party radars and we cannot include SLAM missile due to intercommunication of weapon systems of third parties. This work is underway and will be fixed for June 3rd release.

In addition, we changed Fixed Target Track (FTT) to Navigation Stabilized Cursor Designation because FTT requires additional enhancement for all terrains that will be developed later on.

Update for Litening Targeting Pod and Dynamic launch zone and AUTO mode for JDAM will be delivered as expected.

Litening Targeting Pod will not include updates for LTD/R and LST (laser), automatic laser illumination, OFFSET cursor and AA mods. The features will be delivered with update for June 3rd.

Sincerely,
    The Eagle Dynamics Team"

Patrick

Some New WIP shots have Surfaced

1920×1080 684 KB

1920×1080 791 KB

Patrick

A trio of quick videos from Wags apparently just went live a few minutes ago.

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet - Air to Ground Radar First Look

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet - AGM-84E SLAM

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet - JDAM Update

Patrick

***Available for Pre-Order***

https://realsimulator.com/f-18-center-grips/

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F18CGRH_product-1.jpg   F18CGRH_2.jpg  

Patrick

**From a Tester**
    Realsimulator F-18CGRH First Impressions and General Info

Disclosure:
    This is a loaned preproduction unit via the courtesy of Realsimulator’s CEO. I do not have any ties to the company. I’m not a professional reviewer or Youtuber looking for followers, not even a licensed pilot (interventional cardiologist IRL). I, however, do get to try out new things once in a while because Realsim loves receiving meaningful and constructive feedbacks from customers. The objective of this write up is to help clarify the functionality of this soon to be release device as well as my very own impressions of it during initial usage. My primary purpose is also to provide feedbacks to Realsim, rather than you guys. I do have my own unit coming in later this month or next month.

What is the F-18CGRH?
    It is a replica of the F/A-18E grip with additional functionality. This is a step-down model of Realsim’s military version which is specifically designed for home use with more affordable pricing. CGRH stands for center grip right handed, they also provide side grip as well as left handed versions. Extra functionality includes BLE (Bluetooth low energy) which provides button as well as axis inputs, including extra switches (the buttons are 5-way switches). In short, the F-18CGRH is a modernized electronic joystick that is made for customers who demand a little more from their flightsim peripherals.

Look and feel:
    The grip is made from high density resin with grainy painted texture. It is like a typical quality product that can be felt upon the very first moment you grab it, exuding sensation of sturdiness and durability. It also feels very comfortable in my hand, and shows no signs of slippage during aggressive manipulations. There are no sharp edges that can cause a cut or skin abrasions.

The bottom fixture is made from aeronautic-grade aluminum, which is light but durable enough to be used on Realsim’s force sensing base (FSSB R3L) which allows as much as 13 lbs of force input at maximum setting (but please don't use this setting if you want your device to last). There is a hole for M4 setscrew to help secure fixation on a base or rod. At the bottom, there is a PS/2 connector which is used to connect with other compatible bases (Thustmaster, Virpil, Brunner, and soon Winwing via adapter).

Of noted, there is no paddle switch as it is not attached to the grip in the real stick. There might be an add-on paddle in the future that would mimic the real thing, but detail is N/A at this time.

The grip has the exact same ergonomics but feels a lot lighter than my Thrustmaster F-18 grip, closer to my F-16SGRH grip. I do not have the exact weight but was told that it is very close to the real grip, a tad lighter due to aluminum fixation instead of steel.

Operations:
    If you are familiar with the F-16SGRH grip, you’ll feel right at home with this one as it is basically a sibling version of it. But the ideal comparison would be vs the Thrustmaster F-18 grip, as it is more of a direct competition.

The buttons are slightly elongated compared to the Thrustmaster version, due to the use of 5-way switches. Resistance is less which makes it easier to operate. I have a harder time with the thumb buttons on my Thrustmaster, the center switch has to be depressed in a certain way or it would not register. Not so with this grip, everything registers easily and with less resistance, even the thumb switch left is a breeze to activate from neutral position. Trim, Weapon Release, and NWS switches are also equally a joy to operate with zero misclick during my own use. I use NWS Up switch as my makeshift paddle and it has been working quite well.

Button axis is also rotated according to the real device. Trim hat axis is rotated slightly to the right, while sensor control switch is to the left. The same rotation goes for the RECCE sideway switches which are not present in the real grip, for ease of use.

The trigger button has strong detention if you are not used to an F-18 grip, to prevent misfire. The 2nd trigger detention on this grip feels similar in strength compared to the Thrustmaster version which I am used to, but I was told that the released version will be twice as strong which will require the same operating force as the real military version.

There is a special dial underneath the Trim hat which allows access to 8 memory slots. These memory slots can be switched in real-time during gameplay, and it is instantaneous. Each slot stores behavioral changes to the grip, such as various inputs, macros, but also input sensitivities/tuning if you use FSSB R3L base or Bluetooth axis input. There is also voice and text overlay option which will notify you of changes when you flip the memory slot dial. There are 3 LED indicator lights on the top part of the grip which also serve the same purpose.

Since it has BLE, it can be used wirelessly provided that you have the means to power the device itself—either from a USB port via PC or battery pack, or via PS/2 connection from compatible bases.

Bluetooth axis input for pitch/roll/yaw works, however, not as precise as axis input from a good joystick base. This is apparent in maneuvers that require extreme precision, and the best stress test for this is AAR. People who are very skilled can probably get by, but for an average person such as myself it is better to rely on inputs from conventional bases from Realsim, Thrustmaster, Virpil, etc. for that particular maneuver.

For non-Realsim bases, only the TM Warthog is fully supported (in wired mode) with exact matching of DX button layout and you are limited to the reduced button input of a Thrustmaster’s grip (19 DX + POV hat switch). With the Bluetooth mode, however, you can take advantage of your base of choice for pitch/roll/yaw control while having a full access to 56 DX inputs per memory slot (a total of 448 DX inputs--This is fewer than the F-16SGRH grip due to an extra side button on that grip).

Due to numerous button inputs, it is listed as two separate devices (with the same name) in Windows Game Controller Settings as well as DCS settings. There is one potential issue that may arise from this. Due to limitations of Windows OS when it comes to assigning DX Input devices, the input settings for device 1 may sometimes be swapped with that of device 2 in DCS if you disconnect the device and reconnect. The solution is to swap the bindings between the two devices, or disconnect/reconnect until you get the correct input response.

Real World Usage:
    I find it to be a better match for my setup than the Thrustmaster grip (my main base for this grip for now will be the Virpil WarBRD), due to lighter weight and extra buttons. I set up memory slot 2 for comm operation (Function key inputs). This can be activated by flipping memory slot dial or via a shift switch (I use Trigger 1). For my FSSB base, slot 2 is also used for 1:2 input sensitivity setting to help minimize overcorrections during AAR, formation flight, etc. I enjoy using voice overlay which speaks out the name of the current memory slot to remind me during gameplay every time the memory dial is changed.

I have come across no serious issues so far. But for Virpil fans, the button bindings of the Virpil base in DCS setting will need to be removed if you plan to use Bluetooth mode (due to conflicts in DX button number assignments).

I do plan to utilize some macros to quickly set up the aircraft during specific operations. For example, prepping DDIs for a certain TPOD zoom level, FOV, LMAV or LGB settings with one click; or prepping the aircraft for carrier vs ground landing, etc.

Conclusions:
    This is a really good stick, it is very comfortable to operate, packed with so much functionality, and can be as complex as you want it to be. Am I blown away? Not really, but this is just about what I expect from a Realsimulator’s product. As a flighsim enthusiast I do, however, highly recommend this product especially at the current introductory price.

Addendum:
    Made some changes and additions after conversing with Realsim's CEO about this device.

Attached Thumbnails

Patrick

Members who have read this thread: 1