Dcs f/a-18c - Page 2
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

Thread: Dcs f/a-18c

***Mini Update***

As much of the code team is busy working on the caution and advisory system (the last and toughest ones are always the worst), the art team has been working on the new stores for the Hornet. While there are many stores existing in DCS World that we can use, there are several that we are creating from scratch.
    While not as interesting as a new bomb or missile, a new external fuel tank has been badly needed for the Hornet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 15_CF4_F57-_BD6_E-4_F48-_BF8_C-28_DA8_EBA209_F.jpg  

Patrick

***Mini Update***
    A well-known visual characteristic of the Hornet has always been the vaps down the length of the Leading Edge Extension (LEX) during hard maneuvering. As has been eluded to earlier, we’ve been working on a new effect to properly implement this in DCS World. Rather than a simple shape file, we’ve used a partical-based system to allow the vaps to be very dynamic and variable based on aircraft maneuvering and the humidity. Not only are vaps based on the AoA of the aircraft, the humidity level is also a huge factor. In addition this effect working along the LEX, it is also being used for over the wings when appropriate.

Attached is an early work in progress image of this effect.

In addition to the Hornet, we plan to apply this effect to other aircraft, and this tech has been passed to our 3rd parties to use for their aircraft.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 22905040_10159601511065341_4001059723870789100_o.jpg  

Patrick

Mini Update
    There have been a lot of questions regarding what sensors and weapons will be available at the launch of the early access DCS: F/A-18C Hornet. This decision is based on balancing a great, first experience, while getting quickly into the hands of those prefer early access adoption. We realize that early access is not for everyone, but for many, it is. If you prefer a completed product, we ask that you wait for the final release. Take that time to monitor previews and early access reports to make an informed purchase.

We believe that starting with the more “simple” systems at early access roll-out allows a more shallow learning curve at the start. By then adding new systems gradually, it introduces the Hornet’s sensors and weapons in a more structured manner… much like what a real Hornet pilot goes through when learning the aircraft. This also allows us more time to fully develop the more complex systems in a way that delivers the most realistic experience possible.

Note that this is all very much subject to change for our mid-2000s F/A-18C USN Hornet.

Sensors:
    A/A radar with RWS, STT, and ACM modes

Weapons:
    Mk-82 series
    Mk-83 series
    Mk-84 series
    Mk-77 Fire Bomb
    CBU-99 and Mk-20 Cluster Bombs
    BDU-33 Training Bomb
    BDU-45 Training Bomb
    2.75 inch rockets
    5 inch rockets
    20mm cannon
    AIM-9L/M and CATM Sidewinder
    AIM-7F/M/P Sparrow

Following the early access release, we plan to include many more sensors, weapons, and decoys for the final product. Please note that this list is also subject to change:

Sensors:
    A/A radar with TWS, SCAN RAID, AZ/EL
    A/G radar with MAP, EXP1, EXP2, EXP3, SEA, GMT, PVU, AGR, IRA, and TA
    AN/ASQ-228 ATFLIR Targeting Pod
    Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System (JHMCS)
    Link-16
    AWW-13 Datalink Pod

Weapons:
    AGM-88C HARM
    AGM-45A/B Strike
    AGM-84D Block 1C Harpoon
    AGM-84E SLAM
    AGM-84H SLAM-ER
    AGM-65E Maverick
    AGM-65F/G Maverick
    AGM-154A JSOW
    AGM-154C JSOW
    Walleye I ER/DL
    Walleye II ER/DL
    GBU-10 Paveway II
    GBU-12 Paveway II
    GBU-16 Paveway II
    GBU-24B/B Paveway III
    GBU-38 JDAM
    GBU-31 JDAM
    GBU-32 JDAM
    AIM-9X Sidewinder
    AIM-120B/C AMRAAM
    Mk-40 Destructor Sea Mine
    Mk-63 Quickstrike Sea Mine

Decoys:
    ADM-141 TALD
    GEN-X

Thanks
    Hey

Patrick

***Mini Update***"It’s a small thing, but some of the art for the HUD camera control panel and the UFC has been cleaned up a bit. As these portions of the cockpit are often in your face, it’s pretty important to get these looking as good as possible.

Also, we have had to move the Mk-77 to the post-Early Access release list for weapons. Not only will the Mk-77 require a new object and napalm effect, but an all new warhead type needs to be created (quite different than HE and pen-aid warheads) and all units and objects will need to be updated to account for this all, new weapon type. As you might imagine, it's going to be a lot of work to support this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Texture work.jpg  

Patrick

***Mini Update***
    "In case of a departure, the Hornet was provided a spin/departure recovery system that instructs the pilot on how to command the controls to exit a spin. However, this did not really help with a much more serious “falling leaf” departure... As the Hornet evolved, the Flight Control System (FCS) became advanced enough that the jet could automatically recover itself by simply taking hands off the controls and allow the jet to fly itself out of the departure. In fact, the spin recovery switch should not really be used in later F/A-18s.

However, to be complete, we plan to model this system. Here are some work-in-progress images of it in action.

It’s been a very long haul with the Caution and Advisory System that has entailed the simulation of many other systems that feed into it like electrical, fuel, hydraulic, navigation, mission computers, flight control system, engine, AMAD, TAWS, and others. However, we are getting pretty close now to have functions in place to create an authentic Hornet start up. Thanks for your patience on this."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hrt.jpg  

Patrick

****New Hornet WallPapers******
    https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...2&postcount=17
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HD.jpg  

Patrick

***mini update***
    "Another little improvement coming with the Hornet is an improve afterburner effect. It’s these little things that we hope to make the Hornet a truly great product"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AB.jpg  

Patrick

This is a day one buy from me!

i7-4770K 4.4 Ghz - ASUS z87 PRO - Corsair H100i - 16 gig Kingston Beast DDR3 2166 Mhz - Gainward GTX 1070 GS GLH - CX 750M PSU - CoolerMaster HAF X case

It's looking pretty good, to put it lightly.

Cheers,
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Quote Originally Posted by Montie View Post
    This is a day one buy from me!
    This is what I refer to as "Buy before Blinking"

***New Teaser Up***

Patrick

***mini update*** "Let’s talk a little about sensors…

A key aspect of the Hornet early access release will be the air-to-air radar modes that consist of Range While Search (RWS), Single Target Track (STT), Latent Track While Scan (LTWS), and the Air Combat Maneuvering Mode of Boresight Acq (, Vertical Acq (VACQ), Wide Acq (WACQ), and Long Range Automatic Acq (AACQ). A lot of our efforts are now devoted to this.

Attached is an image just showing a symbol test. Several items are quite incorrect (it’s just a symbol test), so please don’t get too wrapped around the axle on this.

Once that is complete and the Early Access version of the Hornet has been released, we’ll be using the air-to-ground radar technology we’ve been developing over the past few years to create the A/G modes of the AN/APG-73 radar we are simulating. Our goal is to create the most realistic simulation of an A/G radar ever done for a game. This will be in addition to including the remaining A/A radar modes and functions.

Upon wrapping up the APG-73, we’ll move on to the ATFLIR, and at that time, develop a new and improved FLIR technology to provide the best and most realistic simulation of such a sensor.
    You may also note in the image that we’ve been working on the lighting system for the IFEI. In fact, the panel was modified.

As for the Hornet start up video, we are just waiting on one critical item to be resolved with the caution and advisory system. The AV-8B will have the limelight to itself this weekend, but I hope to the Hornet start up video to you the week after… finally."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Radar Test.jpg  

Patrick

Another beautiful multipurpose bird I definitely look forward to having in my virtual hangar. Between Jane's Fleet Defender and Jane's FA-18 pc titles, I spent way too much time over the Straits of Hormuz and the North Cape. Just so very immersing and challenging, landing at night or in a storm.

Thanks for the update.
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by strykerpsg View Post
    Another beautiful multipurpose bird I definitely look forward to having in my virtual hangar. Between Jane's Fleet Defender and Jane's FA-18 pc titles, I spent way too much time over the Straits of Hormuz and the North Cape. Just so very immersing and challenging, landing at night or in a storm.

Thanks for the update.
    Hello Matt,WOW!! Great memories of Jane's F/A-18E SuperHornet,I thought that sim was really well done and ahead of it's time visually for the graphics tech available then.Funny you mention that sim since one of Eagle Dynamics leading Producer,Matt Wagner. was an original member of The Jane's Hornet team. Kinda Cool and a Good Omen for The DCS Hornet I think

I like your Ride!!! Those HellCat's are some powerful machines!! I'm into cars/motorcycles also...This's my Baby...'65 Pontiac G-T-O

Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom88 View Post
    Hello Matt,WOW!! Great memories of Jane's F/A-18E SuperHornet,I thought that sim was really well done and ahead of it's time visually for the graphics tech available then.Funny you mention that sim since one of Eagle Dynamics leading Producer,Matt Wagner. was an original member of The Jane's Hornet team. Kinda Cool and a Good Omen for The DCS Hornet I think

I like your Ride!!! Those HellCat's are some powerful machines!! I'm into cars/motorcycles also...This's my Baby...'65 Pontiac G-T-O

Outstanding Machines indeed! I love American muscle cars and bikes, especially the older machines such as the Goat. I bought the Hellcat Challenger as my military retirement gift to self because I absolutely loved the retro styling cues and modernized horsepower. She's not disappointed me yet in producing a smile every time I drive her. I also just added a Ducati X Diavel S to my bike stable livery. Though not American made, every bit still a beast of a bike.

I have actually been a huge fan of Matt Wagner for quite while, loving his earlier products, such as Janes FA-18 and seeing his involvement with DCS. Love that series too.

Matt

Matt

****Mini Update**** "As many of you know, we’ve had to push back the Hornet start up video much longer than we had originally hoped. This has primarily been due to getting most of the Caution and Advisories at start up correct. One of the more obvious start up elements is the ”deedle-deedle” and “flight controls, flight controls” audio at right engine start up. While it would be easy to simply script it at right engine start, we need to understand exactly what causes this and make sure we account for the factors that lead to it.

These audio elements in fact goes hand-in-hand with the Master Caution. Anytime a caution is triggered, the Master Caution light comes on the Master Caution Tone (“deedle-deele”) is heard. There are MANY items that can trigger a caution and this has been keeping the team busy the last couple of months. For a start-up, this is generally triggered by a Flight Control System (FCS) caution. There are several items that can lead to and FCS caution, but the one that we care about in this case is either a FLAP OFF or AIL OFF cautions. Either of these will in turn trip an FCS caution. An FCS caution in turns results in a “flight controls, flight controls” audio caution.

Unfortunately, despite having literally hundreds of Hornet manuals, there is no good information why these two FCS warnings manifest themselves at right engine start up. Through some of our great SMEs (Hornet pilots and ground crew), we now understand that these control surfaces can “droop” over time, once the aircraft shuts down (further than the FULL down position at shut down). When the aircraft starts up, the system sees this as an a flap or aileron failure and thus trips the caution. We are now in the process of updating the aircraft for accounting for control surface droop.

These would also be indicated on the FCS page and an FCS Reset and running a BIT would be required to clear them.

Anyhow, it’s these little details that we feel are important for the proper simulation of this aircraft, but it has resulted in additional development time. In the end, we think it will all be worth it and provide you the most authentic Hornet flight simulation for the PC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FCS.jpg  

Patrick

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Very interesting! And what an amazing attention to detail!

***HORNET FAQ***

"DCS: F/A-18C Hornet FAQ
    Updated on 4 December 2017

Q: When will the Hornet be released?
    A: We will announce the Hornet’s Early Access release date at the same time it becomes available for Pre-Purchase (sorry, no more best-estimates). The Pre-Purchase date will depend on when on when we feel we have stable build of the Hornet that provides the key Early Access features of a PFM flight model; functional engine, fuel, electrical, hydraulic, radio, lighting, caution/advisory, flight control, emergency systems; and the sensor and weapon systems as detailed here:https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...4&postcount=13

Q: What weapons and sensors will be included?
    A: Please consult the detailed list here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...4&postcount=13

Q: Will carrier operations be included?
    A: Basic carrier operations will be available at Early Access launch, but they will first be reliant on the carrier operations based on what we have currently for the Su-33. During the Early Access period, more detailed and realistic carrier operations of Case I, II, and III will become available.

Q: What squadrons will be available?
    A: At least initially, our focus is on US Navy Hornets. This applies to skins, sensors, and weapons.

Q: Will the Hornet be released with DCS World 2.5?
    A: DCS World 2.5 will be available prior to the release of the Hornet.

Q: Prior to release, what’s the best way to get a head start learning this aircraft?
    A: In addition to the videos we are providing, we suggest a careful read of the F/A-18 NATOPS. https://publicintelligence.net/u-s-n...light-manuals/

Q: Can I become a Hornet beta tester?
    A: Please see our post here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=50779

Q: Will the Hornet come with a new, highly-detailed Nimitz-class aircraft carrier with new features and functionality never seen before in DCS World?
    A: These will be two separate modules, but we plan to provide a bundle deal that includes both. We currently plan a less-detailed version that will be a free part of DCS World.

Note: There is nothing else we can really say about the new carriers at this time.

Q: Will the Hornet release with a manual?
    A: The Hornet will release with a Hornet Early Access Guide that will instruct you on how to fly and employ the aircraft. As new features and functions are added during the Early Access phase, the guide will be updated to reflect this.
    Upon release of the final product, the full manual will be released.

Q: Will the Hornet be able to share datalink information with the A-10C?
    A: Once we implement Link-16, this is something we will certainly explore using the A-10C gateway datalink capability. The A-10C uses SADL, not Link-16.

Q: Will the Hornet be able to communicate with the JTAC?
    A: Yes, but this will come after the initial Early Access release.

Q: Will a cockpit-view pilot be provided?
    A: Yes, but probably not for the initial Early Access release.

Q: Will nuclear weapons be available for the Hornet?
    A: No

Q: Will there be an option for a Hornet with no pylons?
    A: Yes, but probably not for Early Access release. That will come later."

Patrick

Phantom, thanks for the great updates. This will be an immediate first day purchase for me, based on my love affair with Jane's so many years ago.

Matt

You're Welcome Matt,I'm hoping to see that "Start Up" video soon.That will be a big milestone meaning The Caution/Advisory system has been figured out and we'll be close to Early Access....I'm still holding out hope we might see The Hornet before the end of 2017.

Patrick

***Mini Update***
    As we continue working on the Hornet’s system needed for a proper cold start video, I’ve put together this little video that shows off the Hornet flying around the updated Caucasus map for DCS World 2.5.

We are at the point that we are satisfied with the caution and advisories for the startup video. They will not be 100% complete, but all the major indications are now in. Last week I wrote the voice over script and handed it over to a couple Hornet pilots to review. While they are pleased with it, they noticed a few missing items. There are several items like setting up the ZTOD and FLBIT that are not mentioned in the NATOPS checklist, but we want to include to be thorough.
    Also, for the next video, we plan for it to be more extensive and include pre-flight, startup, taxi, and takeoff.

In the meantime, we hope you enjoy this video.
    Last edited by Phantom88; December 11th, 2017 at 13:16.

Patrick

***mini update***
    "
    Just a short note today:

As of today, we are at the point where enough of the Hornet systems are functional to make a great, authentic Hornet startup video. I'm starting to create this video today. It will take a few days to complete the video.

Thanks!"

Patrick

Last edited by Phantom88; December 20th, 2017 at 08:06.

Patrick

***Mini Update***
    "
    Most of the current work on the Hornet is focused on the air-to-air radar, flight model and Flight Control System (FCS), and defensive systems.

- Range While Search (RWS) radar mode is functional and detecting targets. Functions like antenna elevation, bar, range, and azimuth setting are all functional. There is of course much work to still do on the A/A radar prior to Early Access release.

- The flight model and FCS are undergoing a lot of work to properly simulate both the Up and Away (UA) mode and the Pilot Assist (PA) modes. Both modes have a very different feel. PA mode is critical for landing when the flaps are down and the trim hat controls AoA.

- Initially we planned the ALR-69, ALE-39, and ALQ-126B due to available data. However, we now feel we can do a pretty accurate simulation of the ALE-47 and ALQ-165 systems. This will also involve an update to the cockpit to include the Integrated Countermeasures Control Panel (ICMCP).

- Additionally, work continues on the INS/WYPT system, A/G weapon HUD displays, the EW page, the Azimuth Indicator, additional caution and advisory messages, autopilot modes, improved display fonts, and a better effect for the display of HUD information.

On the art side, we continue to tune both the external model and the cockpit. Let’s see who can first spot the cockpit art change in the attached image.

Also, with the release of the Preflight, Startup, Taxi, and Takeoff video earlier this week, we got some great feedback to further increase the accuracy of our Hornet simulation.

Thanks and have a wonderful holiday!
    Matt “Wags” Wagner
    Senior Producer, Eagle Dynamics"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Patrick

Members who have read this thread: 1