Locher Sarntal airfield in the making - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Locher Sarntal airfield in the making

Hi Dimus,
    not able to dwonload your scenery yet but it looks SOOOOOOO promising!!!
    Cheers,

Stéph.

Hi Dimus,

What a great scenery! A piece of art!

With my set-up I just have the problem of a black "collar" around the parking/hangar area on the sorrounding grassland.

Reason might be your mentioned detail1.bmp which is not part of my downloaded texture folder and has to be placed into the world/texture folder.
    I copied the contained details.bmp instead, to no effect.
    My world/texture folder already has a detail1.bmp dated 5.10.2013 which might not be compatible.

Can you please provide me with your correcting file?

Thank you for your great work!

Best regards

Ernst

(Specs: FSXA, Steves DX10 fixer, i7700K, 1070 vc)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Locher black collar.jpg  

Ernst,

You should copy the detail1.bmp from scenery/world/texture and place this in the texture folder of the Locher scenery. Not the other way around!

Hope this helps!

Cees

What Cees said is correct. It is in the setup instructions. My problem is that I had to include some ground areas in the 3d object that represents the hangar and the rocks around it. These surfaces have been assigned with the ground detail texture of the sim to make them blend nicer. I could not find a way to point to this texture in its default location. The object always looks for it in the scenery's texture folder, so this is why it has to be copied over.

Btw, the 172 does not have enough power to climb that taxiway.

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    Ernst,
    You should copy the detail1.bmp from scenery/world/texture and place this in the texture folder of the Locher scenery. Not the other way around!

Hope this helps!
    Cees
    I had to go to FSX/Accel to get that replacement file as my P3D_V4 did not have it. I had a "Details", but no "Detail1".
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Beautiful and challenging!!!
    I can't thank you enough Dimus for what you've managed to achieve... To me it's the perfect VFR scenery...
    Cheers,

Stéph.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I had to go to FSX/Accel to get that replacement file as my P3D_V4 did not have it. I had a "Details", but no "Detail1".
    That is strange. I need to investigate, however my install had the REX detail texture in there. Any other P3D v4 users with no REX textures installed have this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    Ernst,

Hope this helps!

Cees
    Thanks Cees, everything all right now.
    Perfectly expalined in the instructions, but the art of reading....

I have just made two landings with a SuperCub, next time I'll try with PC-12 from Bolzano.

The approaches into Sarntal are so real, absolutely exciting!

Ernst

Count me in! I don't have that detail1.bmp in V3.4 or V4!

Dick

A highly entertaining location beautifully designed. Many thanks for your considerable efforts Dimus.
    You do have an evil streak however, as I've discovered. On one of my approaches I veered
    too far right and encountered a strategically placed 'bump of doom' just off the runway, that I hadn't noticed before,
    causing my C208 to flip. The repair bills are considerable.

This has always been one of my favorite areas to fly. Nearby Bolzano and Asiago make for a very scenic
    circuit.

Out of several aircraft I've already tried I think I like my Carenado C337 the best. Seems perfectly suited for this
    fun strip.

Quote Originally Posted by sidler View Post
    Count me in! I don't have that detail1.bmp in V3.4 or V4!

Dick
    I'm puzzled here as I have it in both v3.4 and 4.0 installs. On the other hand I do not have a "details.bmp" anywhere. The folder is \Scenery\World\Texture right? I thought it was a fundamental FSX/P3D texture. It is the same texture controlled also by the FTX Aero tool to make the ground coarse or detailed.

Ed, if you could please check what happens if you rename that details.bmp into detail1.bmp and put it in the Locher texture folder? (backup the one you have from FSXA before doing that of course).

Quote Originally Posted by fuzz1 View Post
    You do have an evil streak however, as I've discovered. On one of my approaches I veered
    too far right and encountered a strategically placed 'bump of doom' just off the runway, that I hadn't noticed before,
    causing my C208 to flip. The repair bills are considerable.
    The instructions clearly state "stay on the flat part". I won't be accepting that bill...

Seriously, it has been a tedious process of trial and error to establish the elevation mesh in this field. I could not avoid a few such bumps on the edges so do avoid the part on the east side close to the road. Also try to touch down as early as possible, preferably just after the hangar roof, or even on the grass on the right of the hangar, as the slope rises afterwards.

Just to be clear Dimus, I love those those bumps! Just adds to the challenge and entertainment value. I've already spent
    hours at and around this fantastic creation; all your efforts are most certainly appreciated. Off to LIDA now for a
    cargo run...double cappuccinos and cannoli's for the Locher workers.

The new CRI CRI and the freeware Bush C152 by lagaffe work well here.

The legaffe bush 152 is available free from French vfr.

Here http://frenchvfr.free.fr/download.php?lng=fr&tconfig=0

Cheers Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    . . . . . . Ed, if you could please check what happens if you rename that details.bmp into detail1.bmp and put it in the Locher texture folder? (backup the one you have from FSXA before doing that of course).
    Will do Dimus!

Ok, "details" is an entirely different image. Not at all related to the effect that "Detail1" provides.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Just got back and this is the FIRST THING I downloaded.... wrapping my head around this fantastic package..... WOW!

Ta V- C

Even though I could not locate Detail1.bmp or Detail.bmp, I installed the scenery into both Sim's v3.4 & v4 and it to work just fine! Excellent, Excellent, scenery..love it!

Dick

Good news! I have put a texture.cfg file in there that actually does that, but only works in P3D, not FSX. Great to hear!

I also realized I have left a scenery.zip file inside the Locher\scenery\ folder. That does nothing and you can delete it.

Tinight I finally managed to just fly around the place without making or correcting stuff. I still see some bugs but will probably not do anything about them.

I also made a video, flying the less than idel for Locher Cessna 182 from A2A. Outside views are from the designated "tower" view:

Great video Dimus!

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    Good news! I have put a texture.cfg file in there that actually does that, but only works in P3D, not FSX. Great to hear!
    Great work!

And wow, did LM finally allow to individualize addon sceneries apart from the global default setup? That would be a great step for adding custom autogen / vector elements without having to fiddle with the global terrain.cfg.
    Gotta check this.

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Actually, Mark, I was looking for a way to point to the detail1.bmp that is supposed to exist in the Scenery\World\Texture\ folder and is called by a couple of objects without the need to copy it in my scenery's texture folder. So I used a texture.cfg text file similar to what the airplane addons use for repaints to define fallback folders. It seemed to work in P3D but not in FSX. This is why I ask users to manually do this copying in the install instructions.

Interesting that the detail1.bmp is simply ignored when used by a third party scenery. I thought it was always loaded into the VAS.

Want to give Bill's Kodiak a try on the field, but I need to fix it up a bit first.

It is not ignored. It is indeed always loaded and used on top of the ground textures. However, in my case I needed to apply it on surfaces that belong to 3d models that blend into the ground. This way, the textured 3d model and the ground where it blends into look similar in texture and detail. There is still some difference as the sim renders the ground different than 3d model but at least not much. See below:

I could have used a detail texture of my own, like I did on the taxiway, but since users have all kinds of detail1.bmp versions like ORBX, REX etc, besides the default one, it is better for each one to use what they have installed.

Got it and love it and even managed to land there (VR really helps landing at this field) but got stuck right after the walkway that goes across the runway. I had to skew around and then got it rolling again.

Members who have read this thread: 0