Locher Sarntal airfield in the making - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Locher Sarntal airfield in the making

Been slowly working on this, mainly adding stuff inside the hangar, finalizing the rock textures and planting some grass, bushes and trees, all WIP:

Factory is from Cees, also WIP, grass from falcon409. The last set of ''killer'' wires can also be seen.

It seems I won't be able to finish this before summer vacations, so hopefully by Fall...

Really fantastic work, gentlemen, and such an interesting and unique subject matter! I'm really itching to try out this airfield as soon as it is finished.
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

That is amazing work. You guys make it look easy.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

You've done an amazing job of integrating all the nuances of this unique airfield into a beautiful scenery masterpiece Dimus. You should be very proud of what you've created.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Hi Dimus,
    holidays well deserved after all your work on that spectacular scenery!!!
    Cheers,

Stéph.

Thanks so much guys!

This is a classic case of a project that was supposed to be a "break" from one that was taking months and proved to be much bigger than expected. It does not help to keep studying those videos out there, one always finds cool stuff to add.

I could not bear to have an ugly FSX default windsock on top of that rock so I created a custom one, together with a weather station. No animation or code behind it though so no real wind info from that one. Well, I though since ORBX does it why not.

The funny thing with this place though is that regardless of the wind, one has to take off downhill and land uphill. Nothing else will work.

I feel like I just completed a thesis on rock formations and how to build on them as well as bush types and how they grow between rocks:

I'll do some more work on tire marks and more dirt on the tarmac before moving away again in the immediate area of the place to work on the landmarks of the approach.

Dang, that's detailed!

Any plans for some SODE-driven objects, e.g. static aircraft?

Dimus-

Really great stuff! Enjoy your hols and know we are looking forward to your return!

Best- Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Dang, that's detailed!

Any plans for some SODE-driven objects, e.g. static aircraft?
    Well, now you got me intrigued! I need to investigate this.

Sode for the Hanger doors and lighting the area?

Cheers Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    Well, now you got me intrigued! I need to investigate this.
    http://sode.12bpilot.ch/

Never dealt with it myself, but I hear it offers all kinds of magic for scenery design. The SODE SDK documentations does look like there's a bit of a learning curve though.

Well, I had a brief look and first feeling. Certainly opens up a lot of possibilities that would be beneficial for this project. I can think of opening hangar doors, seasonal trees and textures and maybe a working windsock. It does need a lot of study though so maybe in a future update, if I find my way around it. Thanks for the pointer though!

The scenery of Saint Pons, Barcelonette just released by FSX3D has fine examples of the use of sode.

See here:= http://www.fsx3d.com/

Cheers Chris

Wow! That is really looking good!

Cees

Finished painting and weathering the tarmac.

Wow!
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Icon14

More and more impressed by this work, looking amazing!

One small thing, is the Truck not too close to the ramp?

Can't wait to fly there!

Marcel

It actually is too close! Taxi carefully!

LOL, nice shot of the real-one.

Marcel

Geez! That truck and the rest of the scene really put the size of the PC-12 into perspective. That thing is huge.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Finished painting and weathering the tarmac.

TERRIFIC WORK Dimus!!!

Absolutely STUNNING STUFF.... ta!

C

locher changes!

Hi
    Gephard (the owner) has added a new hangar at the bottom of the tarmac area to the right of the ramp as you taxi down it... should take the Pilatus and the Kodiac.
    I think he banged his head on the digger as he's now put a bloody great big rockery in front of the old hangar! Barely enough room to taxi a Husky on one side, and a tight squeeze for his other aircraft on the ramp size! Completely unfathomable decision!

Hope you enjoyed my landing guide to Locher on YouTube. One thing to add to the modelling is that there is often an anabatic wind in the morning/early afternoon that accelerates at the bottom of the valley just coming past the third set of cables.. If its 5 knots at the valley entry, it can be 20 knots at 100; AGL!...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2146.jpg   IMG_2145.jpg  

Your landing guide is a prime source of info for this project. Thank you Sir!

The news about the new hangar though is alarming. Is there any photo or video reference for this structure?

Members who have read this thread: 0