floatation devices only - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: floatation devices only

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    I had the Kodiak in FS9 and it was rough on FPS with my comp I had then (I eventually retired it after it got over 10 years old).

Wonder if it's still available for FSX? My current rig should handle it just fine.
    The Kodiak certainly is available, and is very good on FPS on my PC. It is available individually or in the LHC Fleet One Ultra Pack with 4 other aircraft. It is a favourite bush plane of mine. Lionheart often have sales through their distributors (FSPilotshop etc) so I would recommend the Kodiak or the pack which includes it.

Cheers,

BTW Roger-Wilco posted pics of my two fave floaties: the C-130 and the Catalina. I also like the DC-3 with floats on it.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

nothing wrong with the old Ironworks for floatplanes, Jan - and is that Swingman's Duck or Paul's ?
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

One of my favorites and it's a port-over too!

SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

My Entry to the thread

I have put in quite a lot of time in the last three days trying to figure out how to get the Seagull onto a cruiser catapault. Tried everyone's suggestions...slew...aiboattraffic etc. Here is my repainted Paul Clawson FSX Curtiss SOC-1 Seagull in USS Portland VCS-5 Det 3 colors. Inspiration was an excellent article online in www.pacificwar.org.au

The USS Portland CA33 is Yanco san's from the Coral Sea collection converted into an object with MCX and then an airport created with it placed in ADEx. I created 4 runways:
    2 for the catapaults fore/aft and 2 for launch config since I can't rotate the catapaults. I was going to do my own thread until I saw this one. Hope this is not "hijacking"...I apologize if it is in advance.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails USS PORTLAND CA-33 Catapault Portside.jpg  

if it's hijacking let me just say 'welcome aboard' - there - now we're good.

great job BtW - wow!

so - does the cat work???
    enter..the Sandman

Found a couple more..

-- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Sure does!

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    if it's hijacking let me just say 'welcome aboard' - there - now we're good.

great job BtW - wow!

so - does the cat work???
    Thank you for the "praise". I have repaints of all 4 planes of the section. It would be cool to do a multiplayer with them in formation.

I am using RCBCO-30 FSX Carrier Cat program. At the top of the screen you can see the lower 1/2 of the catapault gauge which goes in your cockpit. The green light is the "global catapault" button allowing you to catapault off any ship. I originally downloaded, installed and was using Paul Clawson's USS Idaho Battleship catapault and then decided to do this. Since this is "an airport" technically, the cruiser is stationary but I am going to try and change locations by changing the lat/long in ADEx to move it around. It would be cool if the crane could hoist the seaplane back up using the FSX helo sling principle but I have no clue how to attempt that so after landing and taxiing next to the cruiser I will just use the "Go to airport" in the MAP and put it back on Runway 1 or 2 which are the starboard and port cat's respectively. I have an entry in RFN TACAN which also is installed aboard though it is modern I know to help me fly back to the cruiser.

outstanding!!
    finding a solution to the crane question would be amazeballs but launching a Seagull off a destroyer catapult is just too cool.

Great Work - you have hereby earned today's internet attaboy for your effert, congratulations! carry on then
    enter..the Sandman

a proper Curtiss SeaGull would be welcome in FSX methinks
    enter..the Sandman

Fsx soc

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    a proper Curtiss SeaGull would be welcome in FSX methinks
    I don't know anything about either Gmax or FSDS, wish I did. I have FSDS.

This is the Curtiss SOC Seagull that Paul Clawson converted from FS2002/2004 to FSX with a VC with FSX gauges and new DDS textures. it is actually twice as nice as the early version IMHO. Repainting was not difficult and it is really easy to add gauges or change them in the VC. It is a nice flying aircraft. Now that I have created the cruiser(airport) CA33 for it, I may try and tweak the textures this week to make it even more appealing if I can while I fly my own patrols. I have been a fan of the SOC for probably over 10 years and actually had permission from Curtiss who still own proprietary rights to obtain all the drawings which are at the National Archives. I didn't get them because of the high expense of hiring an archivist to go there and make copies. I am far from an expert but I love tinkering sometimes with success sometimes not. If I accomplish anything, I'll post pics here and add the update in the Warbird Library.

It's about how light and shadow falls over stressed fabric....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture_016_11082016_220956.jpg  

Or how your breathing comes easier when you can finally see the way home.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture_018_24052016_001345.jpg  

Or visiting a place from so long ago, it seems like a dream.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture_22102016_142056.jpg  

And it leaves you wondering how something that carries so much weight in it's own metal, could sit upon the water with such grace.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture_001_15052016_150115.jpg  

specular

I just tried in my simple way to create two spec files by using grayscale in Corel Paintshop Pro but it didn't seem to make a difference that I could see. I am just going to fly them like they are and enjoy them for the work that Paul put into them. After a while all the tinkering instead of flying...see ya all later here at SOH.

Can I bring this one?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Republic-1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by magoo View Post
    And it leaves you wondering how something that carries so much weight in it's own metal, could sit upon the water with such grace.....
    Nice, Where did you get the clipper?

Quote Originally Posted by Limekiller View Post
    Can I bring this one?
    That's my favorite flotation device too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails seabee.jpg  

Here's a floater

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C185.jpg  

some very nice floaters so far..Gibbage's model looks pretty good so I might have to go look for a copy

Here are a couple of others I use often
    LHC Fairchild 24 on floats..(not the Pacer - although it is good too)

Last edited by heywooood; April 22nd, 2017 at 19:44.
    enter..the Sandman

and a more recent GAS ship

The sound file that Bill included with his Fairchild 24 pack is just fantastic -

The Ryan B5 from GAS just has a nice overall quality to it
    Last edited by heywooood; April 22nd, 2017 at 19:45.
    enter..the Sandman

btw 'floatation' was tongue in cheek but I appreciate the concern for accurate spelling...I have to say it isn't easy to ignore spellcheck in the first place -
    I'm glad people are paying attention though

this will be of interest - to the Frenchmen on this site especially
    https://english.stackexchange.com/qu...-or-floatation
    Last edited by heywooood; April 22nd, 2017 at 19:48.
    enter..the Sandman

turns out that the use of 'floatation' proves I am a Scot...

anybody got a favorite floater we haven't seen yet?
    enter..the Sandman

I don't have a new one, but this one is my favorite.

Members who have read this thread: 0