Creating sound files for FSX

Thread: Creating sound files for FSX

Creating sound files for FSX

I was wondering how the sound files are created. I regularly tweak my sound files if I don't like the sound set included with a product (freeware or payware). For example AH's Helldiver. The engine didn't sound beefy enough compared to what I've heard in real life (although the sound is perfect for the F3F!) so I swapped Milton's Harpoon sounds in. Also Virtavia's Mars was lacking so I used their B-29 set. (I also created a seperate Mars file adjusting the .cfg for R-3460s and using A2A's B-337 sound as one was powered by them for a period.) Now that I've heard the Mars in real life the B-29 sound doesn't cut it anymore as it is muffled by collector rings and the turbocharger. The Mars has what amounts to straight pipes and you could hear it take off in the middle of Winnbago from the EAA grounds over five miles away. (Over the sound of the airshow!) What I want to know is how sound recordings are broken down for use in FSX. Look at those pipes! I want my Mars to BARK!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN2096.jpg   DSCN2094.jpg  

I muck about with swapping sound files around and modding the sound.cfg files to match. Haven't actually tried to mess with the actual sound files yet though.

I'm currently working on a set for the George Diemer Sikorsky S43 using Oliver Fischer's Ju 52 sounds as a starting point. The Junkers used the BMW 132 which was a license built P&W Hornet which is what the Sikorsky had. I'm using Fischer's engine sounds and assorted other sound files for other parts from the default Goose, Milton's Mallard and default CFS 3 files as well. The CFS 3 overstress sounds work great as an overspeed alarm. When the airframe starts creaking and popping, you're probably going too fast. The CFS 3 stuff is getting a little age on it now, but if it still sounds good, I'm all for it.

There's an excellant set of DC-6 sounds over at California Classics which I've adapted to other R-2800 powered aircraft like the C-46.

With all the sound files I've collected up over the years, I can usually cobble something together that works well for me. A good set of sounds will spoil ya quickly. I do recommend getting well acquainted with the part of the SDK that covers the sound.cfg though.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526952.aspx
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

I believe I have that 2800 sound set as well. I think it comes with their CV240. You do basically what I do then. Find something with a similar engine that sounds better and apply it. I'm thinking of using Razbam's Skyraider sound for the Mars. It also has a 3350 with a lot of stacks and theirs sounds pretty nice. VS's Bearcat has a nice sound as well, especially from the tower view on a flyby! I'm trying to learn, but man is it slow treading! I've been using Milton's tutorials on YouTube to try and get my head around Gmax but it will be quite a while before I finish even a simple plane! I've also noticed that a lot of guys here are late 60's early 70's and kicking butt!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Patterson View Post
    I was wondering how the sound files are created. ....... What I want to know is how sound recordings are broken down for use in FSX. Look at those pipes! I want my Mars to BARK!!
    Hi Josh

I'm not a sound expert , I've only created the sound for one aircraft .
    It's like most development tasks , requires learning on the go , tenacity and a stubborn determination to see the task through to the end .
    The task takes a considerable amount of time ,you will be creating a large series of "Wave Sound files" mainly on a trial and error basis , then testing them
    and comparing them to sounds found in videos or recordings of the particular aircraft .

Open a Sound folder for an aircraft in FSX you will find ,
    - a series of "Wave Sound files , click on each of them to play the individual sound .
    - one "Sound CFG file" , open that with a text editor such as Notepad or Notepad ++ , this CFG file strings the Various Wave files to generate the aircraft sounds ,
    you will need to get a copy of the SDK relating to sound .

You will then need a Sound Editor , I used the freeware editor called " Audacity " .
    In this Editor you create each "Wave Sound file" , you use the editor to manipulate the individual sound of the Wave file to get what you are after .

It may sound easy , but you will find that what you create is not what you are after when you test it in the aircraft , so it's back to the Audacity editor to make
    further changes , you will have to repeat the process often before you get what you are after , it's a matter of testing , testing , testing , ....etc .
    You will find that you are learning and getting better with time , but it does require a huge amount of tenacity .

As I said earlier I'm not a sound expert , my area of interest is creating instruments for aircraft panels .

Cheers
    Karol

PS;
    From memory my aircraft sound folder took about 3 to 4 months , and required several hundred manhours .

I've been using Milton's tutorials on YouTube to try and get my head around Gmax but it will be quite a while before I finish even a simple plane! I've also noticed that a lot of guys here are late 60's early 70's and kicking butt!
    I just stepped back from the Gmax tutorials to keep from pulling my hair out. Too many distractions. I'll get back to it sooner or later though. There's a Gee Bee that was never done that I've got my sights on.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I was wondering how the sound files are created. I regularly tweak my sound files if I don't like the sound set included with a product (freeware or payware). For example AH's Helldiver. The engine didn't sound beefy enough compared to what I've heard in real life (although the sound is perfect for the F3F!) so I swapped Milton's Harpoon sounds in. Also Virtavia's Mars was lacking so I used their B-29 set. (I also created a seperate Mars file adjusting the .cfg for R-3460s and using A2A's B-337 sound as one was powered by them for a period.) Now that I've heard the Mars in real life the B-29 sound doesn't cut it anymore as it is muffled by collector rings and the turbocharger. The Mars has what amounts to straight pipes and you could hear it take off in the middle of Winnbago from the EAA grounds over five miles away. (Over the sound of the airshow!) What I want to know is how sound recordings are broken down for use in FSX. Look at those pipes! I want my Mars to BARK!!
    If it would be of interest, I could fire up a NEW thread here and do my best to explain the fundamental process and techniques involved in creating a NEW aircraft sound folder.

It won't be a full-blown tutorial, but it WILL shed light were I remember needing a little of that myself.

It's also probably High time folk could be able to utilise sound cone principles to their advantage - don't see much of that around, sadly.

Willy's 'fast'n dirty method' was exactly where I also began - but with a little insight, confident command of the sound.cfg will give you full control over what you're aiming to accomplish. :-)
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Members who have read this thread: 0