Air Force Opts to Keep F-16s Flying for Decades Longer

Thread: Air Force Opts to Keep F-16s Flying for Decades Longer

Hybrid View

Icon4 Air Force Opts to Keep F-16s Flying for Decades Longer

“Following F-16 Service Life Extension Program (SLEP) structural modifications, the U.S. Air Force could safely operate Block 40-52 aircraft to 2048 and beyond,” the release said.

The modification program would boost the overall flight hours of the jet from 8,000 to 12,000, Lockheed said in a release.

The latest update comes after Air Force officials have said the F-16 is intended to replace the F-15C/D variants. Both the active-duty component and Air National Guard are considering retiring the Boeing-made Eagle.

The Air Force claims it has the capacity in the F-16C community “to recapitalize … radar to serve the same function as the F-15 has done and thereby reduce the different systems that we have to sustain and operate, so that makes it more efficient,” said Maj. Gen. Scott D. West.

https://www.dodbuzz.com/2017/04/12/a...orce_170418.nl

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Maj. Gen. Scott D. West.
    Lockheed said in a release.
    Not to sound like a broken record, but: uh-huh.
    How much, I wonder, did Lockheed promise the general. AND, how lucrative is the contract? AND, how soon do the cost over-runs and delays kick in.

Sounds like Lockheed's usual method for the purchasing of the contract.
    I worked for them for a while, and I've seen it first hand. They bought, and then trashed the Aerostat program. I saw it from inception till I just had to quit. They don't give a darn about the employees, either, by the way. Just making more and more profits.

But I'm not bitter. I'M not bitter...the heck I'm not!
    Apologies to Mr. John Wayne, nee Marion Micheal Morrison.

Sorry. [/rant off]
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Blog Entries
    One of my friends is a former F-16 pilot who stated that the aircraft is a hardy and stable platform that should not be scrapped. Ralph said that aircraft was way more advanced than subsequent aircraft the Air Force took possession of. Ralph is now a General in the reserve but can no longer fly. I don't have the expertise to judge whether or not this is corruption or recognition of a great aircraft's ability to extend. I felt the same way about the F-14. I read everything I could get my hands on and every video I could find concerning that plane.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

How much of this do you suppose is just recognition that the F-35 is not going to work out well in the long run?
    The F-35 is a lot of neat high tech stuff in a somewhat mediocre airframe in my opinion.
    Now as in prior failed programs, if we take all this neat equipment and mount in in a better performing airframe (F-16), perhaps that is the creation of a really great weapon system.

Regarding F-14....
    I like the looks of the aeroplane, but do recognize that it had some serious shortcomings.
    I do not believe its power to weight ratio was ever that good, but it sure did have the charisma and some really good weapons.

- Ivan the 1G Fighter Pilot.

The late, great, do-it-all aircraft:

Cheers

The Old Master Sergeant
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F-4-Infographic.jpg  

After I got out, I went to work in Yuma with VMFAT-401 Snipers. Israeli Kfirs. Some of our guys went up against some F-14's. D Models, I believe. They had a better than 1:1 thrust-to-weight. The lead pilot came in after they returned, drenched in sweat. More-so than usual after a flight. He said "Do NOT get slow with a '14!"
    Apparently the 14's kicked their butts! It seems that the F-14's would just slow down to about 90KIAS, let the Kfir blow past, then "blast" them with a missile shot. Our guys never got a shot off, even head on with guns.
    Another little trick they loved to pull was to manually sweep the wings way forward, but keep a fair amount of airspeed on. The Kfir pilot would see the wing sweep they had during the turns, say "Aha! They don't have much energy left " and when they acted accordingly, the F-14 would let the wings do what they wanted automatically, and again, a win.
    The '14's got a couple shots in with their Phoenix at BVR, too. The Kfir's never even got a radar lock before they were "dead". As far as I know, they were the only plane to ever carry the AIM-54 Phoenix. Pity, too. That missile, plus the plane's radar system, was a truly effective system. Sadly, ROE's almost never, ever permitted BVR shots. Wasted a lot of development money setting it up. They may as well have carried AIM-9, nothing else. Waste a heck of a weapons platform.

Great stories from our pilots. We sat and listened for hours. And laughed a little at our pilot's discomfiture. They really got their butts waxed, for a change

Sorry, I ramble...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Members who have read this thread: 0