Doolittle Raid - 75 Years Ago Today

Thread: Doolittle Raid - 75 Years Ago Today

Lightbulb Doolittle Raid - 75 Years Ago Today

As of this posting there is just one surviving Raider. Col. Richard Cole was Doolittle's co-pilot and is 101 years young.

In June, 2016, David Thatcher, tail gunner, died at age 96, leaving Cole as the last survivor.

http://www.doolittleraider.com/raiders/cole.htm

Mr. Cole will be featured tonight on Warbird Radio live (7PM Eastern time).
    http://www.warbirdradio.com/2017/04/...e-episode-624/

Blog Entries
    Of course the media made a bigger thing out of the damage done than it was but Dad said it was the shot in the arm that America needed! God bless the generation that saw their duty and did it!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

11 B-25's overflew the USAF Museum today in Dayton, marking the 75th Anniversary. They originally had 17 scheduled, but a mixture of weather and some technical/engine issues prevented some from making it. The 11 Mitchells that attended were - "Miss Mitchell", "Betty's Dream", "Panchito", "Miss Hap", "Semper Fi", "Devil Dog", "Champaign Gal", "Georgie's Gal", "Yankee Warrior", "Show Me", and "Barbie III". The B-25 "God and Country" also made it to Urbana, prior to the event, together with the 11 others, but it wasn't able to participate in the Dayton gathering/flyover.

EAA announced today that they are working on having at least 16 B-25's at Oshkosh this summer - all 16+ B-25's will be scheduled to arrive during/fly in the warbirds airshow portion of Tuesday, July 25th, and then they will be re-enacting the Doolittle Raid to start the night airshow on Wednesday, July 26th. Meanwhile, they will be parked in the warbird area of Oshkosh. So-far, "Panchito", "Briefing Time", "Yankee Warrior", " Miss Hap", "Barbie III", "Devil Dog" and "Miss Mitchell" are among those confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    As of this posting there is just one surviving Raider. Col. Richard Cole was Doolittle's co-pilot and i

http://www.doolittleraider.com/raiders/cole.htm

I can honestly say that I've been blessed with the opportunity to photograph Lt Col "Dick" Cole 2x now as he is a Texas resident!

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    11 B-25's overflew the USAF Museum today in Dayton, marking the 75th Anniversary.
    Ah I wish I could have been there.

It is an amazing place and that would have been great to see.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

I shot this image of Lt Col Cole on 4 July 2016 at a special event...

Lt Col Richard E. Cole, Last Surviving "Doolittle Raider" by RedTail_Panther, on Flickr

75 years. A long time. When I think back to when I was a wee lad of 10, 1942 was a mere 30 years in the past. A war in which my dad fought. How old was Mr. Cole in 1942? Jesus. A brave bunch. They all were.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    75 years. A long time. When I think back to when I was a wee lad of 10, 1942 was a mere 30 years in the past. A war in which my dad fought. How old was Mr. Cole in 1942? Jesus. A brave bunch. They all were.
    sohewouldhavebeen26?...thatwasoldforthenwasntit?.. .imeaniveheardwheretheycalledaguytheoldmanorgramps andhewouldbarelyb30

Is your spacebar broken?
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Nice photo P.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post

EAA announced today that they are working on having at least 16 B-25's at Oshkosh this summer - all 16+ B-25's will be scheduled to arrive during/fly in the warbirds airshow portion of Tuesday, July 25th, and then they will be re-enacting the Doolittle Raid to start the night airshow on Wednesday, July 26th.
    Would love to be there to see that.

These are the folks that inspired me to start this project, though with mine, from the beginning to now has been longer than the entire war.

- Ivan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bombbay_Doors.jpg   TwinTachTestClothed.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0