Percival D1 Gull - WIP

Thread: Percival D1 Gull - WIP

SOH-CM-2023

Percival D1 Gull - WIP

WIP for a series of models charting the development of the Percival Gull series of aircraft. Interior still to be finalised on this model & then to create this prototype aircraft G-ABUR in its subsequent modified states with the revised fin & rudder, the different wing fold & the glazed canopy.

In researching this aircraft I found that it had a family connection - my uncle, Ron Paine has been reported to have helped repair the aircraft following a crash in Scotland. It was returned to Brooklands by road & the wings rebuilt using the Hendy 302 as a pattern, as no drawings were available at the time. Now which company was contracted to do this work? I believe that my uncle (who would have been 18 at the time) was apprenticed to Vickers. My father could have been involved also - he was 21 & working at Brooklands - not sure with whom though - he was I believe employed at one time by Dudley Watts & later by Brooklands Aviation. If only one had asked when they were alive!!!
    Keith
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails thumbnail.jpg   thumbnail1.jpg  

Blog Entries
    That's a great one Keith. Your model looks fantastic. Thanks for considering the Gull for FS9. I can't wait to fly it.

Members who have read this thread: 0